[FAQ] Features: What's kept, changed and removed?

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in Suikoden Tierkreis; or wish for more clarity with the gameplay systems.
patapi
Forum Moderator

[FAQ] Features: What's kept, changed and removed?

Post by patapi »

I noticed the variety of impressions and reactions that we have here, especially because Tierkreis carries the Suikoden name without actually taking place in the main world continuity. Short of comparing any new titles against a specific existing preferred installment, what constitutes a "true" Suikoden probably differ between us, so perhaps this list would be useful for those who have yet to experience the game for themselves.

I'll try to keep this spoiler-free.

Features kept
  • You build an army, and you get a HQ to house them.
  • You get to name your main character, the army and finally the HQ. None of them are voiced in dialogues, as usual. Others can also refer you with pronouns in voice, despite your name being printed in the dialogue texts.
  • Voice acting is in. Both in cutscenes and dialogues.
  • Fight, defend, items and unite attacks are back intact.
  • Armours, accessories and items are also intact, but your inventory is unlimited like in IV. There is no warehouse feature in the HQ.
  • Characters regain all HP and MP at level up, like Tactics.
  • Formation is most similar to Suikoden and II, with 6 available spots and fully functioning S-M-L weapon ranges. The formation system from V is gone. However, you can only have a maximum 4 fighters and 1 support at any one time.
  • EXP gains differ according to character levels, as always.
  • Similar to V, your HQ levels up with the plot, not with the amount of Stars recruited.
  • Movement on the world map is similar to Suikoden III and Tactics. There is also a calendar system with months and days, but the impact on the plot is minimal. Presumably it influences trading prices.
  • Town exploration is via a menu like Tactics, but you have the ability to walk through each shop/inn/house/town square/etc, instead of shopping/interaction entirely from menus.
  • The classic three modes of battles are absent, and instead it follows Tactics' approach. Duels are fought one-on-one using the normal battle system. Army battles are simulated using multi-party fights similar to Luca Blight and the siege of Fort El-Eal.
  • The Quest system is similar to Tactics, including Dispatch ones. The success criteria for them are still as vague as ever.
  • The Slash Rune/Flash command is back from IV, but instead of a rune, a Support character makes this extra command available for you to quickly get rid of weaker enemies. That said, I haven't discovered the equivalent to a Champion Rune.
Features removed/changed
  • No more Bribe option, but there's a Support character that makes the Escape command 100% effective at a price.
  • Entourage system is gone, but nearly all must-have tag-along characters do not require a dedicated party slot.
  • Enemies do not drop potch, only trading items. You mostly gain more potch either through quest completion or selling those at trading posts.
  • Key cutscenes are replaced with animated sequences. Even better, for the first time, the HQ comes with a feature to replay cutscenes.
  • There are no antiques in the game, and with them the appraisal feature is gone.
  • Teleporting is available, but the available locations are very limited.
  • The Mark of the Stars replaces the runes in the game, which unfortunately include the true runes. Each character comes with their own specific list of marks that they can equip in the available four slots. You cannot buy, sell or trade these marks as they are not items, and new ones become available exclusively through the plot.
  • The weapon sharpening system is gone, and now each character can choose from a variety of weapons (including bare), but the types available are tailored to individual characters. Weapons now also have types (Slash/Strike/Pierce like) with matching enemy weaknesses.
  • HQ features removed altogether: bathhouse, newspapers, sound settings, mini-games
  • The HQ library is now replaced with a glossary describing all the different important NPCs, factions, countries, terminology, etc.
If I missed anything or you'd like to know anything specific, just ask here.
Runemaster

Re: Features: What's kept, changed and removed?

Post by Runemaster »

Army battles are simulated using multi-party fights similar to Luca Blight and the siege of Fort El-Eal.
That's great. At least you'll have to level up and use other characters. Right??
Teleporting is available, but the available locations are very limited.
.....Sounds like................????
The Mark of the Stars replaces the runes in the game, which unfortunately include the true runes
include the TRUE RUNES?!?!?

MY QUESTION IS:

So, patapi...does that mean you've played Suikode Tierkreis...?? (feelin sum jealousy here! lol.)
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Yeah, I'm playing it. It's surprisingly friendlier to importers than Suikoden V, IMO. No Oboro recruiting issues, for example.
Runemaster wrote:That's great. At least you'll have to level up and use other characters. Right??
Yes. But a few characters may be fixed, so you might want to train important story PCs. You can update their gears, marks and formation from the sortie screen however, so it's quite user-friendly.
.....Sounds like................????
The teleport list doesn't include every single location on the map, since it requires a certain facility to exist at those other places. Your HQ comes with one, of course.
The Mark of the Stars replaces the runes in the game, which unfortunately include the true runes
Basically, the runes do not exist in Tierkreis. Meaning, no true runes as well.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Patapi please PM me or something... Just give me a mild spoiler....

As of now, have you seen any recurring character/s????

Oh please don't mention names... Sorry, just overly excited. :-D
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

what's the difficulty level? i assume it's moderately easy, as always, but are there some (optional) challenges or any section that was surprisingly tough (like the taking on Luca Blight for the first time and you didn't train up all your recruits)?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

In my experience, difficulty is relatively average, comparable to the earlier games. But now that skills, runes and formations are gone, there aren't as many avenues to break the game (compared to, say, Suikoden V and its True Men formation or even Ernst).

Mark lists being character-specific means stacking overpowered stats boosting abilities isn't as easy.

Bringing along severely underdeveloped characters would definitely spell trouble though.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

So 6 people to a party, but a limit of 4 fighters? Does that mean you can have 4 fighters, 2 mages? Or does it mean you have 4 fighters and 2 support?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Oppenheimer wrote:So 6 people to a party, but a limit of 4 fighters? Does that mean you can have 4 fighters, 2 mages? Or does it mean you have 4 fighters and 2 support?
your formation screen has 6 positions, but your party has 4 active and up to 1 support character (who won't take up a spot in your formation). based on videos i've seen, you can arrange the characters anywhere you want within the 6 spots, like 1 front 3 back, 2 front 2 back, and 3 front 1 back.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

The Mark of the Stars replaces the runes in the game
Replace and replace... it's more like a complete rip-off.

It's basically the two features of the rune system combined into one.

Basically each "rune" gets one spell and you have four rune slots.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

hmmm...

Rh Lh H... and?

what's the fourth?
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Hmm. . .so your money gaining ability is similar to Final Fantasy 12?
Like, you know. . you don't get gil from monster, only loot. . .in which you sell for gil?

Interesting. .

Also,
I'm extremely jealous of your importing abilities.
<_<

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Runemaster wrote: As of now, have you seen any recurring character/s????

I'm curious about this as well. .

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Considering that list, saving the game is done through journeyman crystals. Haven't really gotten to anything that looks like an Inn yet, though.
Formerly known as: Gothann
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Replace and replace... it's more like a complete rip-off.

It's basically the two features of the rune system combined into one.

Basically each "rune" gets one spell and you have four rune slots.
Nicely put there! You do regain all MP on level up, so there is little reason to keep the lower level spells equipped anyway.

Besides spells, the marks also provide physical commands and stats boosting, just like the runes.
As of now, have you seen any recurring character/s???
To some people this may be considered a spoiler. I answered Runemaster's question through PM.
Considering that list, saving the game is done through journeyman crystals. Haven't really gotten to anything that looks like an Inn yet, though.
Yes, you can only save at the Journeyman Crystals. There is one in every town/city/village, usually in the inn.

Be wary that there is a lack of suspend-and-save option despite the game being released on a portable.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

patapi wrote:
As of now, have you seen any recurring character/s???
To some people this may be considered a spoiler. I answered Runemaster's question through PM.
Yes, you can only save at the Journeyman Crystals. There is one in every town/city/village, usually in the inn.

Be wary that there is a lack of suspend-and-save option despite the game being released on a portable.
I wouldn't mind reading that answer as well.

As for the lack of suspend-and-save, that was pretty much to be expected. It's not like the function is of any more use than putting the DS in sleep mode.
Formerly known as: Gothann