Konami wants to hear from you!

Suikoden Tierkreis pre-release board.
StvNash

Re: Konami wants to hear from you!

Post by StvNash »

Dazz wrote:How about this:

What is the thoughts on sprites used in Suikoden? A lot of people said that the series went downhill after Suikoden II mostly due to the game becoming 3D and no longer having the same feel in terms of art. And how do the developers feel about people ripping the sprites of the old games?
I'm totally agree with this, I prefer Suikoden in 2D rather than 3D.
In 3D, I felt it has lost some of the "spirit". :(
Carsyn

Post by Carsyn »

Two Part Question, which I know has kinda been asked:

1. Are you looking at releasing Suikoden VI on any other platforms beside the Playstation 3, especially given its rather smaller install base when compared to the Nintendo Wii and Xbox 360, each of which have a stronger hold in both Japan and the United States respectively?

2. Just because I'm a 360 fanboy, what is the likelihood of any Suikoden game coming out for the Xbox 360, whether full-fledged or arcade?
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

I'd be interested to know if the current writing team are sticking to any plotlines (I.E. The Pesmerga/Yuber mystery, Hikusaak's status, post-Suikoden III developments, etc.) laid out by Murayama when he was in charge, or if the answers to these questions have even been decided already or not, by Murayama or otherwise.
kte03

Post by kte03 »

Braxiatel wrote:-Why didn't they do Suikoden 6?
-Why didn't they do a proper Suikoden game?
-Why did they abandon all the aspects of the series that made Suikoden .... Suikoden?
- They made Tierkreis for a SPINOFF, obviously they'd stray PURPOSELY from the canon of Suikoden. Tierkreis is like Final Fatasy Tactics, it has nothing to do with FF's story.
Braxatel wrote:Will we ever see an English release of the Suikogaidens as DLC on PSN or Xbox Live?
As I wish this would have come true, I doubt Konami will ever release this just because the majority of us North American players don't like games that are meant to be read throughout the whole thing.

That's why the game BEFORE Chrono Cross, (Radical Dreamers?), which had more relevance to Trigger, didn't make it to any "proper" console as you say because of the fact it was a read and choose game.

So yeah, I just answered 3 of your questions with one :]

Now, I have some questions of my own:

- Will they use the guy that made the epic song of Reminiscence? I think his name was Miki Higashino?

- As for Suikoden 6, where will they pick up? After III? V? In between?

- Will Suikoden II make it to the PSN as Suikoden I did?

- Will there be a Suikoden anime? Suikogaiden's intros showed GREAT potential :|
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Carsyn wrote:2. Just because I'm a 360 fanboy, what is the likelihood of any Suikoden game coming out for the Xbox 360, whether full-fledged or arcade?
This. Kind of.

More along the vein of "If Suikoden Tierkreis gathers enough international acclaim, will be seeing an international rerelease of the first two games on the DS? Or possibly as downloadable games for any console or PC, seeing as Suikoden is on the PSN?" though.

And definitely any and all succinct questions in regards to the Tierkreis universe and the Classic universe and what's more important to the dev team?
Maximillion Knight

Post by Maximillion Knight »

Can we expect a major suikoden announcement sometime in 2009?

Do you plan on returning to a suikoden format for the next game, not the Tierkreis format?

How important is Suikoden on your list of games?

(this one probably won't be answered but) Will there be a Suikoden VI?
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Is a franchise-wide collection of the games in the works? (Suikoden 1-5, Suikogaiden, Card Stories, and Tactics in one collection) Most especially because all of the games aren't in print anymore.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Just to let you know, Suikox.com was asked the same thing by Konami, and we submitted the following list of 20 questions to them, so you may want to make sure you ask questions that do not overlap:
1. Many Suikoden games worked old save data into bonuses or unlockables in subsequent games. Does the introduction of a hard drive and constant internet access on the latest generation of systems open up any possibilities of similar rewards for long time fans of the series who have played multiple games?

2. Many Suikoden fans fell in love with Hugo, Geddoe, and Chris Lightfellow of Suikoden III for their expressive personalities. Can we expect to see more talkative main characters, or will we see more silent heroes?

3. Many Suikoden fans like Fumi Ishikawa's artwork but do you plan to use her as an artist in future Suikodens? Why isn't her great talent being utilized by Konami (her last work was for Oz)?

4. Chris Lightfellow was a very popular female lead in Suikoden III, Do you think that a female Tenkai Star is possible in the future and what do you think are the challenges to using a women as the main character?

5. If Tierkreis is the future of the series can we expect to get any form of resolution to the unanswered questions of the old series?

6. What made you decide to make a completely new universe to bring in new fans rather than remaking the first Suikoden for one of the current platforms?

7. In the official timeline, it says that Crowley and Mazus had a duel before when they're supposed to have been born. Did they reincarnate? What is the story behind this, or is it an error?

8. The Suikoden series has always had an issue with appeal. There are numerous reasons why the series never really broke out of it's established fanbase with a more mainstream interest, but I think the majority would conclude for the most part it's down to advertising and promotion. Moving the series in a different direction (with Tierkreis, for example) alienates some of the existing fanbase with negligable results. Would then, Konami consider putting more emphasis (and finance) into promotion for the Suikoden series outside of Japan, as its only Role Playing Game franchise and one of the few remaining "traditional" installments of the genre produced today?

9. Many fans have heated debates over what makes a Suikoden game Suikoden, and often refer to to the "Suikoden feel" of a game. Depending on who you talk to it can be the story, the 108 stars of destiny, the true runes/rune system, 6 person battles, or any number of things. What would you consider to be the core qualities of Suikoden? What gives a game that "Suikoden feel?"

10. How does fan feedback factor into the development of the Suikoden games? Is it something that is seriously considered and actively looked for, and if so, has such feedback resulted in tangible changes in game development (examples would be appreciated)?

11. Japanese fans and fans around the world generally agree that Suikoden 2 was the best Suikoden. Why haven't you tried to build on that success by creating a direct sequel instead of setting the game in the distant future / past or in completely other worlds?

12. Why did you choose to set Tierkreis is an alternate and seemingly unrelated world when one of the major reasons fans appreciate the series so much are the connecting stories, characters, locations, etc. Is it just to attract new fans? And if so, why would you want to use an unrelated game (story wise) as an entry point to the series for new comers, when, if they decide to become more involved in the series they'll have to immerse themselves in the original story line and locations anyway? And are you not worried that this will just drive away old fans?

13. What are the plans for the next Suikoden game? When can we expect Suikoden VI? (Generally speaking.)

14. Given the apparent demand for Suikoden I and II, why was the PSP version overlooked for release outside of Japan?

15. Are there any further possibilities of future installments similar to Suikoden Tactics (Rhapsodia) and Genso Suikogaiden, that flesh out events mentioned in the Suikoden timeline (such as Hikusaak and the rise of the Holy Kingdom of Harmonia, The Scarlet Moon Empure Succession War between Barbarossa Rugner and Geil Runger, Higheast Rebellion, etc.)

16. Was there any reason behind characters and other objects being named after Zoroastrian mythology in Suikoden V?

17. Any thoughts on changing the franchise name (Suikoden) outside Japan to something that the average buyer might relate to a little easier? It has to have one of the most confusing to pronounce, difficult to promote names of any game? What's the benefit to that versus the "Water Margin" or "Stars of Destiny 1-5"?

18. Will any future installments include any fun side games like that seen in S2 - like the cooking competition?

19. Are you considering remaking Suikoden I and II? Suikoden I and II would look pretty amazing in HD, with crisp and sharp graphics (keep it in sprites), bright and exciting colours and of course HD size.

20. Why was Suikoden III not released in Europe (PAL) and is there ever going to be a chance for European gamers to play the game?
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I think those are an excellent selection from Suikox. I hope ours will be as good.

Here's a few of my own that I'd posted on Suikox but weren't chosen for the submission there so I'll repost them here as well:

The Narcissist characters have been decreasing in importance throughout the Suikoden series (one of the two narcissist characters Milich Oppenheimer being a primary character in Suikoden I, Suikoden V having only a single unimportant female narcissist, and no narcissist character present in Suikoden Tierkries). We often find their presence to be an original aspect to the series and often also welcome splash of colour and comic relief. Do you plan on reintroducing prominent narcissists into future titles?

The trinity sight system from Suikoden III received rave reviews from critics in the past due to it's originality and depth of story line. Do you plan on using multi-perspective story telling in any future Suikoden games?

Branching dialogue choices have been a part of Suikoden since the early games in the series. It is refreshing not to be limited to too many "But thou must" dialogue loops created from false choices. Besides the ability to recruit or miss the 108 stars, there are other examples such as in Suikoden V when we saw a behind the scenes "likeable points" system which made choices have impact on future cinematics. Are there any plans to build upon this flexible and interactive system in future Suikoden titles?
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

My contact person, Ryan, told me that I should give him the questions by today if we want to get the answers at release time. Here are the final twenty questions I sent him.

Note: I added on bits of information to some questions, rephrased or combined similar ones, and cross-checked it with Suikox's list. In some cases I kept duplicate questions, for instance the PSP Suikoden I/II bundle. The version of the question that I sent them doesn't let them get away with blaming Japanese sales, while the Suikox version of the question does.

I also wrote a few questions to fill it out.
1. Will Suikoden II make it to the PSN as Suikoden I did?

2. Is there any opportunity to see the release of Suikogaidens and/or Suiko Card Stories in america/europe? Even if a new printing of Suikogaiden might be tough to justify, a release on PSN or Xbox Live would be a cheaper option.

3. Is a franchise-wide collection of the games in the works? (Suikoden 1-5, Suikogaiden, Card Stories, and Tactics in one collection) Most especially because all of the games aren't in print anymore.

4. Why exactly did you decided against localising the PSP bundle of Suikoden I and II? If it's Japanese sales figures, then that's an unfair comparison, as Japan had the privilege of The Best versions of those PS1 titles and thus those games are more widely available there than in English markets. Again, the PSN is an option for this release if a retail printing is considered too costly.

5. If Suikoden Tierkreis gathers enough international acclaim, will be seeing an international rerelease of the first two games on the DS? Or possibly as downloadable games for any console or PC, seeing as Suikoden is on the PSN?

6. Will a non-promotional compilation of Suikoden songs finally be released commercially outside of Japan?

7. Why do not you expand and complement the Suikoden plot with an anime series? The Japanese market has been shown strong interest in printed and mobile comics since the release of Suikoden V. Moreover, many Suikoden fans loved the anime introductions in Suikoden III and the gaidens.

8. Has any thought been given to licensing graphics/rendering engines used in other RPGs to decrease the cost of a full console version of a Suikoden game? Square Enix's multiplatform "Crystal Tools" engine, used for Final Fantasy XIII, and Sega's "CANVAS" engine, used for Valkyria Chronicles, are two that immediately come to mind. Anyone who has seen Valkyria Chronicles in action should see the visual possibilities of a Suikoden game built on the CANVAS engine.

9. I'd be interested to know if the current writing team are sticking to any plotlines (I.E. The Pesmerga/Yuber mystery, Hikusaak's status, post-Suikoden III developments, etc.) laid out by Murayama when he was in charge, or if the answers to these questions have even been decided already or not, by Murayama or otherwise.

10. I noticed you've brought new composers to join Norikazu Miura in creating the sounds for Suikoden Tierkreis, but not Miki Higashino despite the team hinting at wanting to bring her back. Any immediate plan for this, like in the next game?

11. What is stopping you from using another company to publish the series in the west? Konami of America/Europe failed to make a name of the series in the west. The lack of adequate promotion campaigns, the poor job at translation and the bad voice acting contributed to the low popularity of the series in the west. Konami of America/Europe are merely distribution companies that did not show interest in the series, you do not have to stick with them.

12. Are you looking at releasing Suikoden VI on any other platforms beside the Playstation 3, especially given its rather smaller install base when compared to the Nintendo Wii and Xbox 360, each of which have a stronger hold in both Japan and the United States respectively?

13. As for Suikoden 6, where will they pick up? After III? V? In between?

14. Suikoden Tierkreis may be a spin-off, and a handful of fans may wish it be forgotten from the rest of the series, I think it also brings interesting elements to the series. I've played the game and see virtually no linkage to the main series despite the production team claiming that this is set in a parallel dimension. So, any plans to link Tierkreis' plot back to the future installment in the main series?

15. If money and other business issues were not present, would you rather develop new locations/worlds with minimal connection to the previous Suikoden areas, or stick to expanding previously known settings?

16. What is the thoughts on sprites used in Suikoden? A lot of people said that the series went downhill after Suikoden II mostly due to the game becoming 3D and no longer having the same feel in terms of art. And how do the developers feel about people ripping the sprites of the old games?

17. The Narcissist characters have been decreasing in importance throughout the Suikoden series (one of the two narcissist characters, Milich Oppenheimer being a primary character in Suikoden I, Suikoden V having only a single unimportant female narcissist, and no narcissist character present in Suikoden Tierkries). We often find their presence to be an original aspect to the series and often also welcome splash of colour and comic relief. Do you plan on reintroducing prominent narcissists into future titles?

18. The trinity sight system from Suikoden III received rave reviews from critics in the past due to it's originality and depth of story line. Do you plan on using multi-perspective story telling in any future Suikoden games?

19. Branching dialogue choices have been a part of Suikoden since the early games in the series. It is refreshing not to be limited to too many "But thou must" dialogue loops created from false choices. Besides the ability to recruit or miss the 108 stars, there are other examples such as in Suikoden V when we saw a behind the scenes "likeable points" system which made choices have impact on future cinematics. Are there any plans to build upon this flexible and interactive system in future Suikoden titles?

20. Suikoden IV and Tactics are, generally, not esteemed as highly as the rest of the series, but most players agree that they had many good ideas. Has any thought been given to extracting gameplay mechanics that were thought to have 'worked' in those games, and applying them to other Suikoden games? For instance, the tailor system from Suikoden IV, or the isometric grid-battle system (which could be used for moving battalions in war battles) from Suikoden Tactics.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

nice pick
Nick Bruiser
kte03

Post by kte03 »

Sweet 2 of my questions made it :O I'm actually excited to see what Konami will say to us. I also hope these questions will help them create some fresh yet relative ideas to Suikoden's story. Nice pick!
Dazz

Post by Dazz »

I hope my question makes them consider sprites again.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

I'm sure Konami USA will be absolutely pleased to send them question 11!
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Wow I didn't even notice that one. It's almost a rhetorical question. We may never get another contact from Konami USA again haha!