Re: So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Suikoden Tierkreis pre-release board.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Oppenheimer wrote: Oh I don't know about that. Suikoden has never really sold well, but they keep making it regardless. I think even given Tierkries lack luster sales they might still make Suikoden VI. What they won't do is have a Tierkries II.
Agreed! Look: Tactics did bad but there was Suikoden V. Tierkreis did better than Tactics so there should be VI or any other Suikoden's in the future.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

Runemaster wrote:Agreed! Look: Tactics did bad but there was Suikoden V. Tierkreis did better than Tactics so there should be VI or any other Suikoden's in the future.
That doesnt count, because Suikoden V was already in development when they released Tactics. Also, it seems Konami is not very happy about SV sales, so the situation now and then are completely different.
Oppenheimer wrote:Oh I don't know about that. Suikoden has never really sold well, but they keep making it regardless. I think even given Tierkries lack luster sales they might still make Suikoden VI. What they won't do is have a Tierkries II.
Yes, but Suikoden V sold less than any other main game according to duefumi site, so again: the situation now and in the past are completely different. Isnt this game a test to know if the Suikoden franchise can bring out new fans? If it cant bring any new fans, doesnt that mean that sales will be falling as fans get older?
Last edited by Rezard on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Rezard wrote:
Runemaster wrote:Agreed! Look: Tactics did bad but there was Suikoden V. Tierkreis did better than Tactics so there should be VI or any other Suikoden's in the future.
That doesnt count, because Suikoden V was already in development when they released Tactics. Also, it seems Konami is not very happy about SV sales, so the situation now and then are completely different.
But Tactics and SV was followed by Tierkreis. Of course I know they tried it different now but why carry the name 'Suikoden'?

And I think we're off-topic now...
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

Runemaster wrote:But Tactics and SV was followed by Tierkreis. Of course I know they tried it different now but why carry the name 'Suikoden'?

And I think we're off-topic now...
You're fast, I couldnt even edit my topic.

Anyway, this is completely on topic, because the game can be considered a success or not depending on what Konami wanted from Tierkreis. If you look at Suikoden V sales (dont remeber well where I saw this), mostly sales happened at the very first week and then dropped a lot, that means mostly only old fans bought the game.

So if Tierkreis is really a test to see if the game can bring in new fans, it might not be a success depending on its numbers.
Last edited by Rezard on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Rezard wrote:Yes, but Suikoden V sold less than any other main game according to duefumi site
You could also say that Tierkreis outsold Suikoden V, so they'd definately want to continue the series. The glass is half full.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Oppenheimer wrote:You could also say that Tierkreis outsold Suikoden V
How? It's still 70,000 short of V.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
qwsed

Post by qwsed »

It still hasnt been released in the US yet. But it might be that that 70k was also from japan sales? And it wont be relased in Europe (from wiki. Might not be true). I will import mine from the US or Canada.
Kinnison:
"Life is a long song, but the tune ends too soon for us all."
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
Oppenheimer wrote:You could also say that Tierkreis outsold Suikoden V
How? It's still 70,000 short of V.
http://www.duefiumi.com/forum/viewtopic ... ilit=sales
Sophita wrote:It's already close to toppling Suikoden V's lifetime sales.
That's what I meant anyway.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I fail to see your point. Tierkreis has sold 120.000 in Japan so far, Suikoden V sold 195.000.

http://gensopedia.duefiumi.com/index.ph ... es_figures

195 is still more than 120 isn't it? I find it extremely unlikely it will manage to scrounge up another 70.000 considering the drop in sales per week.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Braxiatel
Banned User

Post by Braxiatel »

Oppenheimer wrote:
Braxiatel wrote:
we'll continue to develop games that will expand the core appeal of the franchise to a wider audience
Lies. If this flops, there won't be a Suikoden VI. If this succeeds, Suikoden VI will likely be a spin off of Tierkries.
Oh I don't know about that. Suikoden has never really sold well, but they keep making it regardless. I think even given Tierkries lack luster sales they might still make Suikoden VI. What they won't do is have a Tierkries II.
After Capcom killing off Breath of Fire recently due to "lack of sales", I wouldn't be surprised to see Konami kill Suikoden either.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

qwsed wrote:It still hasnt been released in the US yet. But it might be that that 70k was also from japan sales? And it wont be relased in Europe (from wiki. Might not be true). I will import mine from the US or Canada.
Don't worry, it will be released (at least in germany^^) at about the same time as in the USA...
SnowKing

Post by SnowKing »

It still hasnt been released in the US yet. But it might be that that 70k was also from japan sales? And it wont be relased in Europe (from wiki. Might not be true). I will import mine from the US or Canada.
It's being released in New Zealand too, about the same time. I'm thinking wiki was wrong.
"Barking dogs may occaisionally bite, but laughing men hardly ever shoot."
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Braxiatel wrote: After Capcom killing off Breath of Fire recently due to "lack of sales", I wouldn't be surprised to see Konami kill Suikoden either.
I think we should look into Breath of Fire's sales first. Konami and Capcom are different companies, btw.

Has Konami released a sales report of American or worldwide sales of any Suikoden game?

Who knows? Tierkreis could be very successful on other countries.

And another thing: Failing is not a sign for surrendering.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Runemaster wrote:Has Konami released a sales report of American or worldwide sales of any Suikoden game?
Well, Gensopedia says that Suikoden II sold about 90.000 copies and Suikoden II About 100.000 copies, but the english wikipedia says that Suikoden III sold about 190.000 copies in NA..

That's as much info as I could find in 5 minutes ^^'
qwsed

Post by qwsed »

Total sales:

Suikoden -206,775
Suikoden 2 -416,790
Suikoden 3 -397,422
Suikoden 4 -311,815
Suikoden 5 -194,780
Suikoden Tactics - 64,472
Suikoden Gaiden 1 - 71,042
Suikoden Gaiden 2 - 41,366
Suikoden Card Stories - 7,676
Suikoden 1+2 - 28,271

IMO, i think that Konami should go back to 2D and Suikoden 2 style. Animation and 2D sprites has gone a FAR way since it came out. It doesnt have to be a Suikoden 2 but it should have the same story telling style and graphic style that their "flagship" had.

Source: http://gensopedia.duefiumi.com/index.ph ... es_figures
Last edited by qwsed on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kinnison:
"Life is a long song, but the tune ends too soon for us all."