Re: So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Suikoden Tierkreis pre-release board.
some random

Post by some random »

Any chance of any up to date sales in japan? as if it can claimed a few thousand more we may get to say if its a success or not.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Week 1 63,710
Week 2 27,158
Week 3 20,529
Week 4 8,697
Week 5 7,651
Week 6 6,325
Week 7 5,107
Week 8 4,773
Week 9 4,348

Thats about 9,000 more than last time, so we're in the Region if 148,000 sold copies now. But it's nice to see that sales aren't falling to heavy now (quite stable in the region of 4-5k...), even though it's still dropping. I hope we'll have exact number sfor american sales!
Role

Post by Role »

So, just another week and we can compare ten week sales, eh? Nice. I find it amusing, though, that even though Suikoden is a lesser known series, some of the more popular ones are just plain dead. So even if the sales aren't exactly record breaking, this does look like it could be very good news for the series, especially since the developers didn't just toss it away like Squeenix did to the Chrono series.

What I would like to see, though, is a Suikoden I/II release for the DS, possibly with updated graphics and perhaps an interface system similar to CTDS. Perhaps if sales are good enough, they'll follow Squeenix's example with the FF re-releases, rather than dropping it like with Chrono...
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

They already tried re-releasing Suikoden 1 and 2 on PSP. I doubt they'd do that again. Chances are, they'll re-release them on PSN only.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Role

Post by Role »

...But it was the PSP, which like the PS3, is an overall flop as the system is concerned. Even if they brought it over to the US, I wouldn't have gotten it because I could care less about getting a PSP. Sometimes the problem is not the game, but the platform. A lot of great games never got much facetime because the platform failed. Just ask any Dreamcast nut out there, they'll probably back me on this.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Only the platform didn't flop, the game did. I'm pretty sure Konami is in a position where they've tried ports (PSP) and already know simple re-releases (PSN release for PSP/PS3) are better.

It's all about hype, too. Japan proved they don't want a new collection and North America just got Suikoden 1 already, which only leaves Europe where a potential DS re-release is still a possibility.

One also has to take into consideration the sales of Tierkreis on the DS. If a spinoff on DS (meant to be a reboot of the franchise?) didn't sell as well as first-run releases of any main-series games, I doubt they'll be able to pull off many more sales with simple ports.

Oh, and the PS3, much like the 360, isn't a flop. Either console's fanboys can argue all they want, but both systems have their own appeal and both systems are still selling millions of copies of their big titles. A flop system doesn't usually manage this three-four years into its lifetime. Even the PSP is proof of this. Last I checked, Dissidia was the latest title to creep in on that sales point in Japan alone.
Braxiatel
Banned User

Post by Braxiatel »

LanceHeart wrote:They already tried re-releasing Suikoden 1 and 2 on PSP. I doubt they'd do that again. Chances are, they'll re-release them on PSN only.
That was Japan only, so not really applicable here.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

While true, Konami already allowed a re-release of the first game on PSN. Since they did that, it probably means they have little to no interest in remaking/porting the game anywhere else at the moment. Regardless, I don't think the DS is where I'd want to have either game end up. While it's pretty obvious the DS can handle even the PSP version of both first Suikoden titles, there just won't be enough pull to make it work out. Re-releasing the games only to have them do worse than Tierkreis would definitely be more of a doomsday for the franchise than Tierkreis' sales alone.
Role

Post by Role »

Sadly, I'll have to agree with you, Lance. Although It should be more of a success than the PSP version (because when you face the sheer numbers, PSP and PS3 sales are the lowest of the current gen. I hope Sony follows Nintendo's example and learns from their mistake, kinda like Nintendo learned form their mistakes in the Game Cube), I don't think it's sell well enough to be considered a success. Of course, it'll only ever be re-released if the series successfully revives itself, but at the moment, you can speculate all you want as to whether or not that'll happen, only time will tell.

@Brax: You're kidding, right? So you actually think that matters to a Japanese company, where the main focus is sales in Japan? Odds are, if it's not named Final Fantasy or World of Warcraft, most people won't know what it is here in the US. I had to spell it out to the guy at gamestop when I preordered, as he'd never heard of the series. In fact, nobody whom was in that store had even heard of it. Unknown games don't sell as well as the overrated ones, simple fact of life.

It's kinda like how everyone says FF7 is 'teh awesome' even though it's LAME compared to 6, and how everyone seems to think Sephiroth is the 'ultimate villain' despite the fact that he ultimately failed in the end, whereas in 6, Kefka actually succeeded and took over the world. Even though to many of us, Suikoden is by far the better series, with better storytelling and the like, the sad truth is that people don't care, simply because it's not Final Fantasy, and because if I recall correctly, Suikoden I came out around the same time as the highly overrated FFVII. 'OMG Teh 3D' vs Suikoden I. Keeping in mind that human beings are NOT BORN WITH intelligence, that it is a LEARNED trait, and that anyone who works in retail can tell you that the vast majority of people are freaking idiots, what do you think is going to sell well? This probably really hurt the Suikoden series in the long run, and is one of the reasons why it's still somewhat unknown to most US gamers.