Wall rune questions

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
Mikain Clan King

Wall rune questions

Post by Mikain Clan King »

Okay so in Suikoden 5 we have the choice of our party's formation in battle, say (I think its 'arrow') we have the one where one person is up front with mutiplyed attack and defense, and you give them a wall rune... now onto my questions:

1. Do wall runes stack? (doubt it)
2. Do counter attacks work while using wall rune? ( I figure they are basically a stone)
3. Would runes like Medicine work with it? ( I'm guessing yes)

And in Suikoden 5 who has overall best base defense and heavy armor compatable?
"The duel with Genkaku.... It continues here....."
-Han Cunningham

"This is your final test... Can you win this time, Riou?"
-Leon Silverburg
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Wall rune questions

Post by KFCrispy »

1. Do wall runes stack? No
2. Do counter attacks work while using wall rune? Yes
3. Would runes like Medicine work with it? Yes
Wall Rune does not change your status or anything.. the character is completely normal, it's just that they always choose to Defend similar to how Crazed makes the user automatically attack a random target (Wall + Crazed = character defends though). That makes dodging, counter-attacks, and whatever else that happens normally work. Strike-Back also still works normally with Wall Rune.

The best armor in the game is simply Saint's Cloak, so anybody can equip it as long as they are still within the requirements. Corruption Cloak is also very good, and anyone can wear it once they reach the minimum requirements for that. Windspun and Sun Armor Sets are probably the best armor sets defensively in the game.

taken from the Arthellinus' excel-formatted level 60 database (i thought it was blazefeeler's but i just looked at the credits... i don't know if they are the same person, and the link to the xls is no longer available in the gamefaqs documents)--
Name PDF
Byakuren 304
Genoh 288
Ax 285
Flail 284
Lance 280
ReMiFa 265
MiFaSo 262
Ernst 258
SoLaTi 258
FaSoLa 254
LaTiDo 252
Galleon 83
Richard 72
Gunde 72
Meroon 71
as you can see, for human characters, the difference in PDF is pretty insignificant between Galleon and everyone else. The median PDF is 62, and Norma ended up having the lowest PDF at 49... it's less than a 40-point spread which isn't a big deal. the equipment do most of the work; you can end up with 220 or so PDF with good equipment and skills.

the absolute best defensive character is Genoh or Byakuren. Genoh is much better against magic. but if you're looking at human characters only, Galleon is the best but barely. of the ones who can wear heavy armor, Dinn has better natural MDF vs Galleon and gets 2 rune slots, but Galleon has Mow Down. Goesch has decent MDF and also has 2 rune slots AND has Mow Down. .... i'll also point out Gavaya, Lelei, and Mathias who get 3 rune slots; Gavaya has Freeze and very high HP and ATK (more HP than Galleon), Lelei has high MAG, and Mathias has average or slightly below average MDF but has Mow Down and also has decent MAG (and comes with a Cyclone Rune). these 3-rune slotters can effectively play a tank with their heavy armor and still have offensive prowess.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Mathias has relatively low HP compared to most characters though, if I recall correctly.

Dinn would probably get the highest defense score with the Windspun Set + SS Karmic Effect + S Defense.
Mikain Clan King

Out of any of the characters named on KFCrispy's list do any of them end up having 3 rune slots? I had a killer combo of defensive runes, which I fogot about, but it was basically everyone had to attack one person and that person was being healed continually, taking around no damage and I think counter attacking while being beserk at the same time.
-Han Cunningham

-Leon Silverburg
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

He already mentioned three-rune slotters in his post: Gavaya, Lelei, Mathias.
Mikain Clan King

Oops sorry then, been a while since I read the topic....kind of forgot about it till I got my email. Well thanks for posting them anyway, easier to read in one line.
-Han Cunningham

-Leon Silverburg