Party Menu Glitch? Minor spoiler

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
megablork

Party Menu Glitch? Minor spoiler

Post by megablork »

I'm playing Suikoden V for the first time and I'm several hours in, at the spot where the prince and company are forced to flee from Falena. Since I've started playing, I haven't been able to open the party menu using the square button or any other for that matter. At first I didn't think much of it, figuring that the game would let me know when I could use it, but now I think that something is wrong. Any thoughts? Could it be that my copy is simply a dud? Do I need to play through more of it?

Thanks for any comments!
Lord Marquez

Re: Party Menu Glitch? Minor spoiler

Post by Lord Marquez »

megablork wrote:I'm playing Suikoden V for the first time and I'm several hours in, at the spot where the prince and company are forced to flee from Falena. Since I've started playing, I haven't been able to open the party menu using the square button or any other for that matter. At first I didn't think much of it, figuring that the game would let me know when I could use it, but now I think that something is wrong. Any thoughts? Could it be that my copy is simply a dud? Do I need to play through more of it?

Thanks for any comments!
Two things come to mind

A: If you are playing on the PS3, that is the problem

B: If not, it's more than likely your copy of the game. How is it condition wise?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

doesn't the Select button also bring up the menu? try that out and see if you can configure your buttons. maybe a button is bad or it could be the reasons described by megablork
Mackasplaff

Post by Mackasplaff »

Thats one thing i love about suikoden. You can play it with just your left hand, i sometimes read the paper and drinking coffe while leveling up.
Mackasplaff

Post by Mackasplaff »

And yeah, the select button also brings up the menu though i dont think thats your problem. It would surely been tested. Impressive playing that far without any costumizing btw.
Lord Marquez

Post by Lord Marquez »

Mackasplaff wrote:Thats one thing i love about suikoden. You can play it with just your left hand, i sometimes read the paper and drinking coffe while leveling up.
haha that makes two of us, cept you can find me with a Newport in my right hand.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Mackasplaff wrote:Thats one thing i love about suikoden. You can play it with just your left hand, i sometimes read the paper and drinking coffe while leveling up.
Word

Also, as for the topic:

WTF!? I have no idea what's going on dude.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
megablork

Post by megablork »

Yeah, I think it's just my copy. Doesn't it seem strange though that every aspect of a game could work just fine except for one (or two button's) functions?

Ah well, back to Gamestop I go. *sighs*

Thanks for the suggestions!
Pixelate

Post by Pixelate »

I have the same issue, but it can be resolved.
Before you take it back, just try removing and re-inserting your Playstation 2 control when you can't access the menu.
It may fix your issue.
megablork

Post by megablork »

Thanks Pixelate, but that didn't work for me.
I wasn't able to find another copy either, so until I do, I suppose I'll just fiddle with my current copy from time to time to see if I can correct the issue.

But dude, this is frustrating! This is clearly going to be one of the best rpgs I've played on the PS2, but I just can't continue without customization (Georg isn't doing me too much good in the back row, lol)!
G Zero

Post by G Zero »

Also you might be having problems with your controller and not your game. I know I have had a controller or two have some buttons stop working. Just a suggestion.
"A cute young girl on the outside, and an ancient old crone on the inside!!! This vampire likes to eat her veggies. It's Sierra!!!"

"You, you shall pay dearly for that....."
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

well if you can access the menu with Select, then you can change your formation and other stuff, and maybe even the menu button to go to a button that works (i'm not sure how much you can configure your buttons in this game).
megablork

Post by megablork »

The select button doesn't work either unfortunately. I just can't access it at all.

I'm thinking about having the game disc resurfaced, since I haven't been able to track down a new copy yet.
Pixelate

Post by Pixelate »

Well, are there any major scratches on the disk?
And, have you tried the game with another control pad?

Does the square+Select buttons work with other games?

I'll see what I can find out if I can get this info!
Avalionis

Post by Avalionis »

Mackasplaff wrote:Thats one thing i love about suikoden. You can play it with just your left hand, i sometimes read the paper and drinking coffee while leveling up.
RangerDeon wrote:Word.
Lord Marquez wrote:haha that makes two of us
...great. Now I'M craving a cup of coffee, cause I'm working on boosting my levels right now. XD

Never had the problem of being unable to access the menu though...seems odd to me really.
Lord Marquez wrote:If you are playing on the PS3, that is the problem
Excuse my n00bish question, for I've yet to own a PS3...but why is that a problem? :?