[Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden V

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
Blutiger Engel

Re: [Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden V

Post by Blutiger Engel »

That near-death cop-out seems to take place in every game of the series, though. First it's Gremio, then Nanami (with the option to kill Jowy), then III thankfully skips the trend, then Lazlo and Snowe (because think about it, even if you didn't execute him, not getting the 107 other stars would probably cause him to die of starvation/dehydration/drowning on that log) then Lyon. If there weren't some near-death cop-out in every Suikoden, it simply wouldn't be Suikoden.

I was disappointed in the ending for another reason; it was just too damn short. Even the "good" Lymsleia ending left much to be desired. It would have been nice to elaborate on the future of the Queendom.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

What makes the difference is that Gremio and Nanami were presumed dead (although Nanami’s was a trick) whereas Lyon never actually dies.

One is a reward: resurrecting a friend from the dead if you get 108 stars
One is a punishment: killing Lyon if you don't get 108 stars.

That's the difference
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

Two things I hate:
Deep Twilight Forest. I mean WHAT! Seriously people!!!! Bad music, monsters EVERY 10 STEPS, and then THE STUPID PATH!!!

My castle.
It could be prettier. It was made by the Sindar, after all. It was too confusing and the loading is totally annooooooooooying.
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.
Ayu.Craz-azn

Post by Ayu.Craz-azn »

Maybe its just be, but i've always felt that Suikoden V should have had a better musical score.

ESPECIALLY THE CASTLE THEME
It doesn't need to sound good (which it did), it needs to be bearable (it failed miserably).
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

Ayu.Craz-azn wrote:Maybe its just be, but i've always felt that Suikoden V should have had a better musical score.

ESPECIALLY THE CASTLE THEME
It doesn't need to sound good (which it did), it needs to be bearable (it failed miserably).
Really? I thought SV might have the second best musical score in the whole series next to SII. Especialy the castle theme, I thought it was very livley and gave off positive vibes which I believe is neccesity in every headquarters in Suikoden. My absolute favorite musical track is in SV. The Sindar Ruins in the deep twilight forrest, I know they dubbed it from the Sindar ruins in SIII (ruins where you fight the ice dragon), but that track is amazing it gives me the chills lol.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
boostinX2

Post by boostinX2 »

What I liked the most about this game was the amount of time that the game could go on.. What I liked least was the 7 hours at the beginning of the game.. Helped with the story line but it was so long.. Overall probably my 3rd favorite game from this series.
snakebite105

Post by snakebite105 »

Blutigengel wrote:That near-death cop-out seems to take place in every game of the series, though. First it's Gremio, then Nanami (with the option to kill Jowy), then III thankfully skips the trend, then Lazlo and Snowe (because think about it, even if you didn't execute him, not getting the 107 other stars would probably cause him to die of starvation/dehydration/drowning on that log) then Lyon. If there weren't some near-death cop-out in every Suikoden, it simply wouldn't be Suikoden.

I was disappointed in the ending for another reason; it was just too damn short. Even the "good" Lymsleia ending left much to be desired. It would have been nice to elaborate on the future of the Queendom.
I get what you mean. But in 4 if you didn't get Snowe the difference isent with him but rather that Lazlo would be killed by the rune.

You also gotta remember that alot of the characters and story elements were copy an pasted from Suikoden 1 and 2 for Suikoden 4 and 5 as the new staff trys to get its fit for its new shoes.
I'm a fan but I'm also a critic. Without preasure to improve stagnation is the future. Do not accept lackluster because of your enjoyment of the overall picture. Criticism is needed for improvement to be made.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

I know the difference isn't with Snowe, but he is still heavily affected. My personal opinion is that he dies out at sea if you don't get him, simply for logical reasons and the fact that he is never mentioned again (as Lazlo being dead means Snowe doesn't show up in Tactics either). So sure, Lazlo is much more important since he is the main character and has the true rune, but others are affected. Personally, I don't mind the "Near death cop-out", as it's more incentive to get 108 stars.
True Griever

Post by True Griever »

I played this game only 2 times, simply because the voice acting and akward movement during scenes was too horrible. The story was ok but felt too copied from other suiko's, characters were not that intriging except for the returning ones. I mean kyle was ok, but reminded me of flik.
Hito-Shura

Post by Hito-Shura »

Replayed this again, played my disc and then got an Undub version and continued from that instead.

Overall story wasn't too bad, characters I liked almost all of them, except for Lyon and Prince. Skills, like a lot of people said, wish if it was similar to S3 but at least there are some skills to choose from. I love the formations and the party size being similar to S1 and 2. The isometric view was pretty good too.

The only thing I dislike about S5 is Lyon and the Prince. Lyon for being too clingy, I mean in S1 we had Gremio who was the same but stopped treating Tir like an imbecile kid after he realized he is no longer the kid he used to look after. S2 we had Nanami but there was enough freedom that she wasn't a total annoyance. In 5 though, my god, she just keeps on following you wherever you go and just when she was stabbed by Dolph. she got replaced with Miakis, you get a very short window of being free, that's just ridiculous.

The Prince's main getup sucks, why not just stick to the Royal Garb and be done with it, why force that ridiculous getup. Instead of looking badass like Ferid and Gorge, we looked like a dancer or something. Tir, Riou, Hugo and Lazlo were also kids but still had somewhat good normal looking getup.

The Prince being a Silent Protagonist didn't seem bad before but replaying it now, he just looks sort of ridiculous trying to argue or any sort of interaction cutscene. In S5 you could see Lazlo's face while making decisions but he just looked somewhat like he was deep in thoughts... but S5 the Prince's expression kinda ruined it. A talkative Protagonist like in S3 would have been great if they wanted to add expression or just a regular silent protagonist without too much fluff would have been fine too.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Hito-Shura wrote:
The Prince's main getup sucks, why not just stick to the Royal Garb and be done with it, why force that ridiculous getup. Instead of looking badass like Ferid and Gorge, we looked like a dancer or something. Tir, Riou, Hugo and Lazlo were also kids but still had somewhat good normal looking getup.
Tir looked good? really??
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Tir is my favourite hero, second is Kyril, third is Chris
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i got an undub version but only checked out the opening sequence... i thought the japanese voices were fine (maybe except for Georg? it was a bit high..), but also think the english voices were very natural.
Hito-Shura

Post by Hito-Shura »

sticky-runes wrote:Tir looked good? really??
Yeah, I kinda like it. He looked a little bit like a kung fu disciple or something.
KFCrispy wrote:i got an undub version but only checked out the opening sequence... i thought the japanese voices were fine (maybe except for Georg? it was a bit high..), but also think the english voices were very natural.
Yeah, both of them are good. It kinda made the experience a little fresh but nothing major.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

I loved the Prince's red outfit. I wish they could've given an option to use different outfits like with Snowe in S4.