[Guide] Strategy / War Battle Drops (Victory+ strategies)

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i added a couple entries.. taking Doraat up til Defending Lordlake or Lelcar. for Lordlake, the Cavalry is too fast so it's hard to kill all the Archers and Infantry. i am not trying again.. i had 2 archers left and 1 infantry. the Defense of Lelcar/Lordlake battles end when you take away half of the enemy so it's really hard to kill the slow enemies.... i feel that even if i blitz units to meet with the Infantry and Archers, the Cavalry will still reach Lordlake before i can finish them, and i would have no choice but to destroy the Cavalry units. The Archers are hardest because they have 2 Barrages each making it take forever to fight them.

i have never gotten Victory+ on either of these Defense campaigns.. and also it seems if you take off half the HP of the main units (Zahak, Alenia, etc), the battle ends immediately.
Baks

Post by Baks »

Whats the best units to use to get Victory+'s for the warbattles at Lelcar 1 and Doraat?

I have never gotten Victory+'s for those two battles since they really hard imo. :(
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i don't remember those specific battles but i really like--
Beaver unit in the water (and of course Dragon Cavalry if you have them but i don't think you do at that point)
other ship unites loaded with healing spells and Barrage. definitely don't waste healing powers on the Dahak. barrage is a free attack (unlike Charge, which does a fixed amt of damage relative to max HP of target), so an attack coming from a 5-star will do more than one coming from a 3-star unit.

Zerase, Viki, and Extra on the more difficult area (land or water) so she can blast Star Rune twice, normal attack cavalry units and Cyclone any units to self-heal afterwards.

5-star unit with highest +DEF support and Murad or Silva for heal-after-attack, so you can heal after Charge as well.

if you have another heal-after-attack character give it to an Infantry.

then other units should have a lot of support powers like healing and spells.

try to get as many units recovered when you are about to win to minimize the casualty penalty. remember that the Dawn Rune can only be used when an enemy unit is in range so it's better to use it early/mid-battle than never get a chance to.

also if you redo a battle just note what units they have. if they have a ton of Infantry you'll want to have more Cavalry next time.
Vash_HS

Post by Vash_HS »

I can't seem to get a Victory + in Childerich Pursuit Battle. I ended with no casualties (used Dawn before entering the city) and killed all the units except Childerich. The only thing I can think of was using Star on Childerich's unit before the end of the game.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Vash, perhaps you took too many casualties or took too long in the battle. those are factors, particularly casualties. heal up before entering the city.. try to have as many healers/Flowing spells as possible. There are other supports like Murad/Silva and Rest as well (but Rest is WAAAYYY too slow)
DarkElf

Re: [Guide] Strategy / War Battle Drops

Post by DarkElf »

A couple of additions, if you're still updating this:

Defending Lordlake:

Archer x2: Stone of Skill, Cyclone Piece

Final Defense Campaign battles:

Any item-dropping units you kill in the first half of the battle will not appear in the second half, following the duel; however, any that you do not kill during the first half will be present during the second half. In other words, you have two opportunities to get all four of the item drops from this battle (Blinking Rune Pc, Flowing Piece, Thun God's Armor, Armband of Destiny), but you can't get any one item more than once.

EDIT: I think this should complete the list of war drops. I've gone through the game multiple times and have killed everything possible in every battle, and the information I assembled matches what you have here (minus what I just wrote above, obviously). For the record, I am quite confident that it is impossible to get a Victory+ in the following battles: Defending Lelcar, Defending Lordlake, and Final Defense Campaign part 1. I've used Pyriel's cheat codes to make my units invulnerable and have tried multiple methods to get a Victory+, but it's never happened.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

thanks! i've added the item drop info
DarkElf

Post by DarkElf »

One tiny correction:

In the Final Defense Campaign, the Thun God's Armor is dropped by the Infantry unit, not the Spear unit.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

thanks, updated.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Kirkis wrote:Hatred Fortress Battle

2x ArcShips with Barrage Skill = Rage Piece and Cyclone piece
Combat Ship CLOSEST to the fortress = Technique Ring
Victory+ = Thunder Helm*

Note: To get Victory+, you CANNOT kill all the ships. You need at least one enemy ship to retreat back to the fortess. The battle will also end if this happens with less than 600 enemy forces.
Thus it's insanely HARD to obtain ALL of the above cause one of those arcships is close to the fortess also.
this is definitely difficult, but my battle ended in Victory+ and only 8 Godwin soldiers remained. I thought i could wipe them ALL out. i think when 1 ship is left, the battle ends.... if that is true, there is a lot more leeway for getting all the items... but anyway, it worked out for me.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re:

Post by KFCrispy »

Un_Colombiano wrote:actually, anyone have any tips for the Lordlake Defensive campaign? i dont know if maybe i didnt recurit enough stars, but for some reason my enemies have like 200,300HP while my units stay at 100,150HP, but according to KoRnholio thats your HP doesnt really ever get higher. the only thing i was able to do was get one of my units have a Charge 5/5 and 2 units that have Barrage 1/1 and Catupult 2/2. Even with this though, one of two things happen for me.

1. After I attack an enemy, it flees in the direction of Lordlake and they always just make a run for the town and I lose.

2. Hero's unit only has 100HP so if a Calvary attacks him its basically instant death.

Anyone have any tips for this fight? I didn't try the Leclar war, but I rather stick with this one (i like a good challenge! :wink: )
i just did Lordlake and came up with a good strategy.
The battle ends when you talk out about half of their units (total troops=1800, battle will end at around 800-900+ troops remaining). 6 units charge you: the 4-star Cavalry with an item, 3-star Cavalry, 2 infantry, and 2 archers (who both have 2x Barrage and each drops an item). All the units simply aim for the town, and Archers are the slowest.

My strategy was to focus on the archers since they're the hardest to kill and to push back the non-item enemies only when it's necessary, doing as little damage as possible to them.

The units that will attack the archers should get speed boosts. There are 2 types of speed bonuses, the Speed skill and Speed + stat boost. I really don't know which one is more effective, but I stick with Speed+ stats because I can arm my units with more useful Skills that way. I might have the first 2 characters of the unit provide useful skills then add Raven for a Speed stat boost, with his Muddle skill not getting equipped.

Another thing to remember is that you can't get Victory+, so healing support is not that useful--it's better to stock up on offensive, long-range skills like Barrage.

Two attack the 2 archers,
-I create 1 4-star infantry unit with Sagiri and Shigure to provide Ambush x3 and also Speed bonuses. This is nicer than having a lot of Charges because Charge only does 20% damage while an Infantry attacking archers will do a lot more due to the rock-paper-scissors relationship.
-I also used Boz with a Speed skill (no Charge skills necessary because he has a low chance of even reaching the archers and attacking them will do better damage) but you can probably just use Prince instead, since Prince will be faster. Prince pretty much did nothing in my battle except to use Dawn for mass-damage at the end after getting all 3 items.
-I also created 2 archers with long distance attacks--a lot of Barrage, Jeane's Thunder with Extra, some Speed boosts if possible...
-Talgeyl is a mandatory unit with the useful Mother Earth skill. Give him Barrages and maybe Extra. You'll have to run into an Archer unit to use Earthquake...

For defense, I had:
-1 Catapult unit: Stack Sorensen and Babbage together. I may have given them an Extra but it was unnecessary. This is extremely useful for pushing enemies back while also dealing minimal damage.
-Dinn - I keep in on defense because archers can kill any Calvary unit in probably 2 Barrages, and if you use the high speed to attack the archers, he'll likely end up getting sprayed by any of the 4 Barrage skills and get killed quickly.
-Zerase with Barrages. She can help take down the 4-star Cavalry quickly and then use Star to do mass damage to end the battle (after getting the 3 items)
-Prince or Bos... as mentioned above, one of these guys can just go for the archers and the other can just sit back as insurance.

So I had sent my attackers north and south of the oncoming enemies. I had sent Boz north, though I think sending an Archer instead would be more useful to use Barrages that send the enemies back south into your main wave of attackers. You can avoid the infantry--one of them looked like he would aim for Boz but I just maneuvered around and the Infantry continued towards Lordlake.

Everyone else who's not on defense went south around the oncoming enemies towards the Archers. Anyone getting close to the archers is going to eat some Barrages until all 4 are used up, so just deal with it. Once they're out, start hitting them with everything.
*There are rocks in the middle of the map that you can use to your advantage to prevent the Archers from getting pushed back too far. I happened to get this to happen on my successful run when I had figured out how to do the whole thing.

On defense, I used Catapult (3-star unit = low dmg) to keep the non-item enemies away and used Dinn and Zerase to take out the 4-star Cavalry. After clearing all the Archers you just need to finish up reducing their troops to 800-900.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

For Recapturing the Castle, I obtained Victory+ by not touching the Dragon Cavalry units. To take out the archer with Armbands of Destiny, just prepare 1 or 2 Archers with long-distance attacks -- have them reach the southern area of the map undetected (stay away from the enemies) and then attack them to push them against the northeastern bend of the river or edge of the map--they won't be able to retreat and you can use Barrage and spells.
For the ships, just 1 Beaver unit with 4 Gnaws and 2 regular attacks was good enough. I took them out before my ground archers reached the lower right part of the map.
Juan

Post by Juan »

Can you really not get victory+ in defending lordlake or lelcar?
Pesmerga VS. Yuber

Re: [Guide] Strategy / War Battle Drops (Victory+ strategies

Post by Pesmerga VS. Yuber »

I just recaptured the castle by destroying the ships with the dragon cavalry, attacking Childerich's unit with them as well a couple of times, healing in between with Raja's ship, and got a Victory+. Therefore, using Cavalry does not prevent Victory+, loss of their HP might.
Power?
Am I looking for Power?
Ever since...The first day I saw you...
I somehow knew...That we would be friends.
I was never lonely...Because you were there.
We chose...Life and death together.
I believed in you...Always...
SuikoMJM

Re: [Guide] Strategy / War Battle Drops (Victory+ strategies

Post by SuikoMJM »

The Recapture: To get a Victory+, make sure none of your units are near your castle. That's it.

The castle is poking out of the water, right behind the enemy ArcShp and ComShp. You can sink the two ships right on top of your castle, as long as you retreat the units away before the battle ends. Lucretia even drops you a hint. "We should be able to scare them out of the castle, but don't pursue them too far." I'm paraphrasing slightly.

I've gotten 6 straight Victory+ now, trying slight variations just to confirm it. You can take a few casualties (my worst run yielded 757/850). You can use the Dragon Horse Cavalry units. You can ambush the land units as hard as you want. As long as none of your units are too close to the castle when it ends, you'll be fine.
Last edited by SuikoMJM on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:23 am, edited 5 times in total.