[FAQ] Egbert Pieces

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
AwesomeTaro

[FAQ] Egbert Pieces

Post by AwesomeTaro »

Hello there, I joined purely to ask this since I haven't noticed it mentioned elsewhere, and I'm slightly worried about doing my second run through before I'm sure of this.
I'm under the impression Egbert's checkers pieces carry over to your new game +...so my question is this :

I understand apparently there are pieces for every character...does Egbert only use pieces for characters you have recruited though? In which case...[spoiler]do I HAVE to get Eresch piece on this playthrough, so I can have Eruam's in my second? Since these characters occupy the same star, and you have to choose, I assume the other's would be unavailble depending on who you have. [/spoiler]

I just want to see if anyone knows before I play checkers for hours, or actually beat the game to begin my second run.
Thanks in advance.

Not that it matters by now, but I got her piece early on in his minigame..so It won't matter on my second playthrough..I just thought I'd bring the topic up so no one missed it..( as minor as it is..I'm sure a completionist would be annoyed )
Last edited by AwesomeTaro on Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seldio

Post by Seldio »

Good question. I'd like to know a bit more about that one too and if you get something special for collecting all those pieces. ^^

Oh, and personally i like Conqueror.
AwesomeTaro

Post by AwesomeTaro »

Argh..I'm so bad at these boards. I seem to have somehow tried to edit my post, and instead posted it twice. x.x I appologize..
Bippo

Post by Bippo »

He will only use pieces for people you've "befriended" (permanently joined). He will also use Sialeeds so make sure to get that one. Though he prefers to use his own checkers piece, so you may want to keep surrendering until he doesn't.

There are also one piece for exclusive to each of the three modes on hard difficulty that he may use.

Checkers Hard: Lymsleia
Entrapment Hard: Ferid
Conqueror Hard: Arshtat

A bonus to earning those rare pieces, is a large statue for each.
Lymsleia: Goddess Statue
Ferid: Knight Statue
Arshtat: Queen Statue

Get all 108 stars and those 3 rare pieces and you get the Karmic Effect epic skill (Defense/Technique). Only one of either Eresh or Eurum is needed and I don't know if Sialeeds is needed. I'm not even sure if Eurum has a checkers piece. There are no checkers pieces for the DoReMi sprites.
BunnieSwan

Post by BunnieSwan »

All the SOD's are also split up between the three games. They all show up on Easy Mode except for Lymsleia, Ferid, and Arshtat.

This list is all from memory so there may be some errors, though (Plus I was collecting them at 2am...), but I'm about sure of about 90% of them. I'll make corrections as I go through another run through.

CHECKERS:
Georg, Sialeeds, Lyon, Kyle, Galleon, Miakis, Zerase, Jeane, Raja, Kisara, Logg, Lun, Subala, Haswar, Isato, Urda, Fuwalafuwalu, Moroon, Maroon, Muroon, Miroon, Meroon, Zegai, Shoon, Talgeyl, Goesch, Toma, Silva, Linfa, Takamu, Viki, Sairoh, Shinro

ENTRAPMENT
Craig, Rahal, Roog, Nick, Flail, Lance, Ax, Yoran, Rania, Wabon, Gunde, Zunda, Dongo, Bergen, Boz, Dinn, Norden, Raven, Bernadette, Yahr, Nelis, Chisato, Babbage, Sorensen, Lu, Luserina, Chuck, Cornelio, Bastan, Roy, Faylon, Faylen, Retso, Shun Min, Alhazred, Genoh, Byakuren

CONQUEROR
Lucretia, Cius, Lelei, Cathari, Belcoot, Marina, Hazuki, Gavaya, Norma, Ernst, Nikea, Killey, Zweig, Lorelai, Orok, Wasil, Volga, Wilhelm, Mueller, Richard, Shula, Nifsara, Sharmista, Josephine, Nakula, Oboro, Shigure, Sagiri, Fuyo, Isabel, Mathias, Mohsen, Murad, Haleth, Eresh, Taylor
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

Does he wait until after a certain point to use the Lymsleia, Arshtat and Ferid pieces??? I been sitting here like 20, 30 minutes trying to get him to use his Lymsleia piece, just keep surrendering, still not seen it once, and I have all the other pieces for checkers.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

It takes forever to get him to use those elusive pieces. Make sure you are on the Hard setting, and make sure you are well prepared to win the game once he has them out; because waiting for another chance isn't fun.

Took me more than 10 surrenders to get Ferid in Entrapment, for starters. I've also run into Lymsleia previously, but I'm no good at this crack version of Checkers...
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

I hate checkers too, but my non-suikoden playing friend is very good at it. She visits Tuesdays and Thursdays, and plays hard mode for fun

But I still can't get Egbert to use Lymsleia or any of the others. Do you actually need all the SOD's to have him use the rares?
http://www.suikox.com: Where the Tinto Republic continues to guide the masses through the sea of history.
killey

Post by killey »

I had all the SoDs and all of the character pieces when I started going for them. But I never really tried before so it's possible they could be gotten earlier.

Maybe it was just a coincidence but it took me 20 or so forfeited games to get Arshtat (Conquerer) but then when I used her as my piece Ferid showed up after 3 games (but I lost) and he showed up quickly again and Lym showed up in about 4 games. But it could be just luck.
Buff

Post by Buff »

killey wrote:I had all the SoDs and all of the character pieces when I started going for them. But I never really tried before so it's possible they could be gotten earlier.
i don't think you can get them early. i've tried and egbert hasn't shown any of the 3 yet.
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

I'm currently at the Sauronix Quest and after countless times of my friend beating Egbert on hard, he finally came across the Lymsleia piece and won.

Although it should be noted that this was in the New Game+, so I'm not sure if that does anything. But I didn't have all the pieces. Apparently, you don't need them all, but Egbert probably needs to use up all the normal pieces first. It took a while for Lym to show up too.
http://www.suikox.com: Where the Tinto Republic continues to guide the masses through the sea of history.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i just finished queen's campaign and played for all the egbert pieces so far, got the 3 hard settings. it seems 1 or 2 other pieces only showed up on Hard (i went back to Easy cuz i lost, kept replaying for 7-8 but it never showed up, went back to Hard and got it quickly)

i found a surefire way to beat Conquerer on Hard, if anybody's interested. it's pretty much the same as the gamefaqs Egbert faqs said for easy, but i make it so once the shuffling allows me to make 2 moves, i win. takes a good while to shuffle compared to easy mode.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Ced The Lad wrote:I hate checkers too, but my non-suikoden playing friend is very good at it. She visits Tuesdays and Thursdays, and plays hard mode for fun
Gosh, that's annoying. I wish I was as good, but the only times I win hard mode are the times he doesn't use Lymsleia!!! :x
Ced The Lad wrote:But I still can't get Egbert to use Lymsleia or any of the others. Do you actually need all the SOD's to have him use the rares?
Nah. I have gotten everyone but Georg and Shoon in Checkers, but I got him to use Lym about twice, both times I lost. :| It's such a CHORE surrendering over and over until she shows up. :(

Well whaddaya know. I got the Goddess Statue!!! Yayzers!
gradeAbra

Post by gradeAbra »

Hi,

can i get Egbert Loyalty statue again in my newgame+? I already got all of them but i lost my princess statue due to newgame+. I forgot to keep it when completing the game.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Chances are, you cannot. New Game+ keeps a memory of which pieces you have collected in Egbert's game, so there is no way to fulfill the requirement to win Lymsleia chess piece if you've already won it in the previous playthrough.

Now if only someone could verify this.