Magic Nerfing

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
MrTomJoad

Magic Nerfing

Post by MrTomJoad »

This has bothered me for awhile and I thought I would bring it up.
Does it seem to anyone else that magic gets made weaker and weaker in every game. In the first it was completely broken, mages could get as much as 5 or 6 of their level 4 spell by level 60 and even characters that where "brutes" like victor could get there level 4 by around 63/64.
Then in S2 they let you have multiple runes but drastically reduced the number of spell points each character got. In three they introduced collateral damage so you could hurt your own as well as chanting so your spells could be interupted. Finally in 4 not only where the spells weaker but had worse animations and with no back row it was quite dangerous to have a mage in your party, since they have such low defense.
So anyway do you think this will continue in S5.
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

magic wasnt bad in tactics, but i imagine in 5 it will be better, since were back to bigger parties
Cuckooguy

Post by Cuckooguy »

Actually, I thought a party consisting of only mages in Suikoden Tactics was extremely powerful, particularly when you're in the higher levels while in the Obel Ruins. As a matter of fact, at one time I kept dying a lot in the Earth Chamber, and I decided to just use a mage-only party. Results were very favorable. At that point in the game, enemies were likely to kill almost any of your character in only one or two attacks, so I might as well try to eliminate the enemy in only one or two devastating magic attacks.

I also got a lot of conversations that involved the mages. Seems Maxine has a shady history and stopped being a mercenary-for-hire and Roget has a crush on Jeane. Jeane tells Simeon (they seem to have met eachother before) that she's been travelling to find the perfect place to open her rune shop and stuff. Roget also asks Simeon why he looks younger than him when Simeon was famous when Roget was a boy. Katarina also asks Jeane why it is she never seems tired, although Jeane replies that she does get tired, but just doesn't show it. I wish there were a way to extract all the talk conversations from Suikoden Tactics.

Anyway, I think the magic for Suikoden 5 will most likely probably be like Suikoden 2, though shall see what we shall see (when it gets released).
Agremsep

Post by Agremsep »

Mmm, at Suiko 2, I think there's this magic affinity system and it works pretty damn well with the 6 member party system including the front n back rows. Suiko 3 it kinda went downward. Suiko 4 totally suck. In Tactics, it was very useful. And in 5, with the reintroduction of the 6 member party system, I'm sure magic will not lose its integrity and resurface as a useful and perhaps important element to beat the game.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I have no idea magic was nerfed that badly. To me, it was physical attacks that were upgraded as we go along with the series. With the introduction of two additional rune slots in Suikoden II, we get plenty of rune combination to power up our physical fighters, while magic remained more or less the same.

Then, Suikoden III came along with its Skills system, and physical moves were further enhanced with the likes of Swing and Continual Attack, while magic suffered from the addition of chanting speed and concentration.

Suikoden IV somewhat took a step back in this direction, by stripping off a lot of those physical stats enhancement while retaining most of what magic had. In fact, the introduction of MP-replenishing items made it possible for magic users to be effective all the time, instead of having to conserve their MPs in dungeons for the sake of solely fighting the end boss. Having to fight without an accompanying guardian character was only a minor issue.

Rhapsodia. Magic were devastating, and if you are good, you don't even have to worry about running out of MPs. The Rune of Punishment was exceptional.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Falcon Rune's been seriously nerfed. 3x dmg, unbalance next turn. No special animation. Can only be used once per battle. Critical and multi-hit are possible with the falcon rune attack. So it's basically a normal attack at 3x damage.

I was hoping for all those awesome Falcon Rune moves from Rhapsodia.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Ugh, how horribly disgusting. Poor Belcoot, he obviously isn't a master of the Falcon style.
I hope everything is going delicious.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

None of the technique runes retained their spell-like moves from Rhapsodia anyhow.

Personally, the ability to achieve critical and multihit with the Falcon rune is a good thing. Didn't Valeria get something similar to that, in order to make her a little bit more special than Anita back in Suikoden II?

But, one-time only AND unbalance makes me feel sorry for Belcoot.
Rody

Post by Rody »

So the magic really was getting worse? I thought I was the only one with that complaint ^^ Well, that I know personally, anyway.

I've been hearing a lotta comments about 5 and 2 being similar? Is it true?

Also, is it confirmed that people have affinities with elements. I kinda liked that, myself.
How did I end up as Pang Tong?!

Don't drink and park - accidents cause people.