Some General Mechanics Info and Updates

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
Z3R01337

Some General Mechanics Info and Updates

Post by Z3R01337 »

Hey guys, been digging into this game for speed running purposes & found some stuff worth sharing. Division is integer division, remainder/decimal is ignored. Sorry if the formatting is a mess, I couldn't figure out the best way to write this clearly.

Corrections
War Battle Mother Earth: 30% mHP, not 40%
True Men Formation Skill: 1.5 total party attack, not 1
Arrowhead Formation: +20 PDEF & MDEF all party members, not just front.
The formations are incorrectly listed in game as well.

Retreat:
50% + (Highest Speed Character SPD / 10)% + 10% * Failed Escape Count

Preemptive / Ambush:
SpeedDifference = PartyAverageSpeed - EnemyPartyAverageSpeed
Absolute Value of SpeedDifference < 10 : 0% preemptive/ambush
SpeedDifference >= 10: Preemptive% = (SpeedDifference / 10 * 10) + 10. If greater than 50%, it's 50%.
SpeedDifference <= -10: Ambush% = -1 * (SpeedDifference / 10 * 10) + 10. If greater than 50%, it's 50%.
Essentially, if the difference is more than 10 the rate is 10% for every 10 difference + 10%. Minimum 20%, maximum 50%.

Physical Damage Formula
Damage = (ATK - ePDF + rand(0:8)) * Multipliers

Forge Skill
Forge actually gives your party ATK! Don't have exact numbers here, and I don't know if multiple stack (I think both Dongo and Wabon have Forge).
My current theory on ATK bonus is
C - 10
B - 15 (untested)
A - 20 (untested)
S - 25
SS - 30 (untested)

Wabon's Forge skill is based on what hammer Dongo has, starting at C for no hammer. I assume Dongo is the same. The values were figured out based on damage in the 2 Assassin fight after getting Wabon, for the most part it's seemed accurate. This is also my favorite one, as I could not find this information anywhere on the internet :D

Trade Rumors
It's stored in a 4 byte value stored in 0x092a848. It's stored in a weird way though, it's based on first bit set in the value. I tested from a save in Dwarf Camp around Sauronix segment, with no trading done and I had access to 18 different rumors. It's possible more can be unlocked, I'm not sure exactly how it works. The pool of possible rumors changes too, I'm guessing based on certain trading requirements. All the saves I tested had no trading done and only 10 possible rumors. Probability is equal for all available rumors. I'm not sure what triggers no rumor, but it wasn't possible with the function I was tracing. Here's the table.

Value = 1 * 2^x

Value = 0: No Rumor
0: Sugar Price Down
1: Sugar Price Up
2: Salt Price Down
3: Salt Price Up
4: Soybeans Down
5: Soybeans Up
6: Vegetables Up
7: Fruit Up
8: Wheat Down
9: Rice Down
10: Falenan handicrafts selling high in Nirva
11: Curry Boom in Sable
12: Coffee chic in Sauronix
13: Tea up in Beaver Lodge
14: Dwarves hit a vein of Iron
15: Dwarves hit veins of gold and silver
16: Estrise Pearls on sale

Note that it's based of first bit set. So 001 is Sugar Down, 1000 is Salt Up, 1001 would be Sugar Down. I have no idea why it's stored like this *shrug*

Rumor Timer
This one wasn't reverse engineered so it's not confirmed, but I think it's 30 minutes since last trading shop check. Seconds don't seem to matter, just minutes. So say last check was 29:30 IGT, 59:00 would be a refresh. Whereas 29:59 - 58:59 would not.

World Map Encounter Rate
This one I didn't dig into too much either, but it seems to be 1/8 chance every few steps. Note that after leaving town and after each battle there is a grace period where you can't get a battle. It also seemed somewhat sequential, in that if you load a save state you'll get the same battles after the same amounts of steps. However, I also remember places where you can skip battles by just waiting for a little while, and 1/8 seems too high to match my experience so far so I'm not sure on this one. This was tested between Rainwall and Raftfleet after getting the Dawn Rune.

There's still stuff I want info on too. Confirmation on Rumor refresh timer and any info on additional mechanics would be great. At some point I want to do Best Ending speedruns and Sairoh is going to be a major run killer so I want to improve my odds as much as possible. The other thing I really want information on is spell cast time. There's definitely speed modifiers from spells. Generally, the higher level the spell the more it slows you down. I want to know how much exactly it slows you down, how it interacts with affinities, and how it interacts with Incantation.
SpaceCoyote

Re: Some General Mechanics Info and Updates

Post by SpaceCoyote »

Nice work, but I won't be impressed until you figure out how to get two consecutive Red Ulse area boss world map encounters on the way from Lunas North Woods to Haud Village. Just kidding. Thanks for posting all of this.

On the topic of Suikoden V speedruns though, a few of us (5?) are going to do an Any % race, sometime around December. Appropriately called "The Sacred Games" ... and there will be a cash prize. So stay tuned for that.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

pretty cool! Thanks!
TheyCallMeStacy

Post by TheyCallMeStacy »

Nice finds! I am really curious about spell cast times as well. I do wonder if healing/defensive spells have a speed boost in this game as it did in Suikoden 2.

EDIT: Building off of the discovery that Forge increases attack, have you tested Rania's bard skill? 29_Rooks's walk-through on Gamefaqs claims that Rania's bard skill improves incantation. This would be interesting if it did, since otherwise her skill is completely aesthetic, and has no improvements on gameplay whatsoever. Meanwhile Cornelio and Moroon are battle characters, and can change the battle music anyway, and the latter still does so even without having a signature skill.