So I was playing around with Ationas' Hex Editor (viewtopic.php?f=43&t=14605&sid=0c673955 ... 92b12127af) and, since we don't have a stat growth chart for Suikoden V, I started to work on one.
I found some interesting things.
1) Normal stats seem to range from rate 01 to rate 04. No one seems to have rate 00 in anything.
2) Only HP, STR, MGC, and MDF seem to be able to routinely go above rate 04, although there are a few people with 05's and up here and there.
3) Everyone's PDF growth is rate 01. Unless they are non-humanoid (Genoh, Byakuren, Dragon Horse, DoReMiElf), in which case PDF growth is rate 04.
4) HP starts at 04 for Lu, but mages seem to have 06, light fighters have 07-08, and warriors have 09. Dragon Horses/Dwarves/Zegai/Gavaya have 10, Byakuren has 11, and Genoh has 12.
5) I think they might use the same scale for HP and other stats, unlike other games. In my save file, Bernadette's HP and MGC are both at rate 07 and they have almost the same value (less than 5 points difference). Frey and Lyon's HP and Richard's TEC/ACC are also 07 and they are close to bernadette's stats. All my 07s range from 411 to 425, with Richard's TEC/ACC being 440 (which isn't too far off base with random level-up variance).
Now, I don't know how many points are gained at level-up and all that, but I can probably discern starting stat values for each rate/character within a few days (I don't have the time right now). I should be able to get a rudimentary data set ready tomorrow night.