Defense Actions

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Defense Actions

Post by wataru14 »

Looking through the official guide I see that some characters have various different defense abilities. Leafing through them I am a little confused. What exactly is the difference between "Weapon Defense" and "Parry?" And what is the difference between "Thrust Back," "Counter," and "Weapon Counter" (which only Faylen seems to have)? I'm guessing that "Weapon Counter" is because she uses a long-range weapon to counter (which no one else can do), and that "Counter" follows a dodge while "Thrust Back" follows a block? If that's true, it seems unnecessary to have three different names for what is basically the same thing. Or is there another difference I'm not seeing?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Defense Actions

Post by KFCrispy »

i've never put Faylen in the front lines to see her counter... have to check it out if i play again! but your observations about Thrust Back after Parry and Counter after a dodge may be correct.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

My recollection is that biggest difference is which stats they work off of. For a counter, you need a high agility to dodge the attack, and then a high technique to trigger the counter it. To make a thrust back, you need a high defense to initiate the parry, and then high technique to trigger thrust back. High defense is also needed to trigger a weapon or shield defense, but that just blocks the attack.

It definitely is a complicated system, that unfortunately has very little impact in gameplay. Many of the characters that can effectively make some kind of counter attack, have equally high defense and agility, so it's something of a moot point whether they rely on one or the other. And of course, at the end of the day, in particular due to the limited skill slots and rune slots, it is not really viable to run a "counterattack character*
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Yeah, I'm not trying to use these abilities as a character build or anything. I was trying to find out what the difference between them was, and why they would need three different names for what basically amounts to the same thing.

But from what you said, it sounds like I was right in assuming that "Counter" follows "Dodge," and "Thrust Back" follows "Weapon Defense/Parry."