New Suikoden V Walkthrough/FAQ released!

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
Rooks

New Suikoden V Walkthrough/FAQ released!

Post by Rooks »

I have finally finished the new SV walkthrough, and it is now available on GameFAQs.com:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/929668-suik ... faqs/60774

Briefly, I will discuss some of the guide's features.

Smart Formatting: I took pains to format the guide so it can be easily searched with the Ctrl + F function. To find entries on particular characters, type -for example: "/Kyle" to jump to his entry in the character recruitment and evaluation section. Type "-Kyle" to find his entry in the walkthrough, which appears just after you recruit him. Runes are similar type "/Cyclone" to find its entry, which includes an Evaluation, strategies for use, and the location of all its Rune Pieces. Type "-Cylone" to find its entry in the walkthrough, which has the same info minus the Rune Piece locations. Plus all commentaries, optional levels and optional recruitment can be skipped simply by skipping ahead to the next full divider in the walkthrough. I use "-" to denote the end of a commentary and "=" to denote a change in location. All treasure chest items are in CAPS and [BRACKETED], to differentiate them from enemy drops, which appear normally like this: "Flowing Rune Piece".

Full Guides Section: After the walkthrough, there is a full guides section with: Character Recruitment and Evaluation section. Including detailed strategies for using the character, overview of stats and basic skills, Recommended Runes, and a list of available Epic Skills with the maximum rank possible listed. A Runes section. Though I do not cover every Rune, especially common Command Runes like Unicorn, I do cover every Rare Rune with Strategies for use and Locations, including enemies that drop it and Rune Pieces. A Skill, Epic Skills, and Statistics overview. A money-making and trade section. And Bath Sequences. All of these guides act independently of the walkthrough itself. Just in case you do not like using walkthroughs you can just use the guides section to recruit every character and acquire every important item.

A Special Section: This section contains a lengthy essay on the "Silent Protagonist" heroes and why they seem to work so well in the Suikoden Games. Also, there is a discussion about the possible future of the series.

Walkthrough Notes: This document is 779 kb, at 125,000 words. Making it the longest and largest Suikoden Walkthrough on GameFaqs. It contains extensive strategies for all bosses and major battles, and gives both general and advanced strategies for the final level and the Sun Rune Incarnation. For example, I give three different strategies for party set-up and rune usage on the Ashtwal Ruins level, depending one whether you play-style is conservative, moderate, or aggressive. I also give advanced strategies for the Sun Rune Incarnation with turn-by-turn commentary, if you have trouble winning with the general strategies alone.

Coverage of the Defense of HQ: Defending your HQ is your choice. So, I cover both Major Battles that occur, as well as the Roy -vs- Childerich Duel and the recruitment of Nick, Yoran, and Ax, who do not join automatically under that condition.

Duel Battles: The only battles not covered in-depth are the Duel battles, which lose all challenge if you simply have a list of quotes. Instead, I give other strategies to help you interpret what the opponent says, without directly telling you what to do. There are two exceptions for this: the Roy -vs- Childerich and Lyon -vs- Dolph duels, because they lack a chance to save beforehand. For both of those, I give a more extensive quote list than can be found in other guides and walkthroughs.

A revised Character Recruitment Order: Not only do I cover every recruitment as soon as it become available, but I order characters that appear at the same time in a way that minimizes Run-Around. For Example: After the acquisition of HQ I suggest recruiting Whilem, then Subala in Raftfleet. This transports you to HQ, where you can walk a few steps to the left to recruit Muroon. This can save much time for people interested in a short play-through.

And these are just a few of the features of the Walkthrough. Keep in mind that this is not the Final version of the guide, as there are still a few loose ends I'd like to work on, but it is already a very complete document.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: New Suikoden V Walkthrough/FAQ released!

Post by KFCrispy »

hey Rooks you wrote that Barrage hits all enemies... does it really? i though it just hits a Column like Pierce. i'll admit i may have never seen Barrage skill in action because i only added the archers in my party to get them leveled up, so their Barrage skills were low.

also, your entry for Wabon says he can't use an epic skill, while later you list he has Karmic Effect (this is correct)
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

True, I'll have to do some more testing on barrage, but you are right. It seems to be a cluster attack like mow down, but I'll confirm that next time I get a chance to play. I'll fix it in the next version and I'll credit you.

Needless to say, Karmoc Effect is a tough Epic to get, I finished some of the character evaluations before I got a hold of it. I must have forgotten to go back and alter Wabon's notes. I'll fix it in the next version.

Thanks for pointing these things out. I'm sure there are several other errors like this too. For example, I listed Nakula has having two open rune slots when in fact he has three.

If anyone finds more errors like this, post them here and I'll correct them in the next version I post. I don't plan on being "Done" with the guide until version 1.5 or 1.6. I'll also add my public email account to the walkthrough, so you can contact me there.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

no need to credit me about Barrage.. like i said, i don't even remember or may have never seen it!
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

KFCrispy wrote:no need to credit me about Barrage.. like i said, i don't even remember or may have never seen it!

Ha, sorry I credited you anyway. I'll go back and remove your name in the next version. The update version 1.3 is out. This includes the first round of community feedback and second opinions on the character evaluations. There are still a number of errors in the guide, including left/right east/west confusion, etc. But, for the next version I'll play through and remove all those errors and typos.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

did you ever find out what Barrage really does? :)
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

KFCrispy wrote:did you ever find out what Barrage really does? :)
Yep. It is a "cluster" attack just like Mow Down. Here it is broken down:

Against a six-enemy party:

A-B-C
D-E-F

Targeting A, a barrage will hit A, B, D, and E. Targeting B will hit all six. So you have a max of 6 enemies per attack, which is not bad at all, though Barrage is pointless against single enemies. All of the character's Attack is applied to the Barrage, initially I thought there was a small decrease in DMG, but I'll have to go fix that in the walkthrough. *sigh* Critical hits are possible, and all physical DMG-boosting Runes apply. So, essentially it is a long-range Mow Down. But it does seem to have more range than Mow Down and LV 2 Bliking magic "GO!"

*Edit*

Meh, more info:

In a two and three enemy party, it only hits one target, so:

A--B

and

A--B
--C

You can only get one attack. For a four person party like this:

A--B
C--D

You can hit two. For the other common four enemy formation:

A-B-C
--D--

you can hit all four.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

thanks a lot! so our skills description is actually correct, nice..
RVallant

Post by RVallant »

Rooks - you got a bit of a reaction on gfaqs.

I thought I'd point out that there should be more emphasis on early dialogue choices since they affect the ending no? Cyril's point guide and other topics here seem to correlate this in addition to relations affecting unite strength.

Also, if youre rating characters on stat potential Lelei should be among the A ranks. I did a similar rating system to yours purely to decide my own party. I looked for high attack, magic, def, mdef, tech and agi. This weeds out the weaker mdef characters whom are more at risk of a hammering from the sun rune. Those who fit that criteria are listed below, i understand if you maintain your view, just thought another perspective might be useful.

Prince, Lyon, Kyle, Lelei, Rahal, Miakis, Killey and Urda. (Isato fits too kind of, Zweig, Lorelai Lun and Roy all fit with varying weaknesses) Killey and Urda are weak in defence but it can be overlooked as theyre L range anyway. Obviously this is just me and my own criteria and I leave out awesome characters on one level or another (Zerase and Georg both capable but weak in critical areas for example)

Hope my feedback is useful Ill give more when i get a pc if you desire.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

First, I have invited other perspectives, so yours is welcome.

As far as the early dialogue choices: I tried to leave the majority up to the player. This is simply because the Silent Protagonist becomes a weak hero if I am always telling you what to do with him. Really, the Prince should be an expression of the player. This means it is more important to leave certain dialogue choices to be answered naturally than to tell you what to do to get the "best" ending. Besides, you should be able to get the best ending if you follow my recommendations, I just don't out and tell you what my recommendations are for to avoid spoilers.

I rated the characters far more than on stats/rune slots. As I said in the guide, the only reason I rated the characters at all is 1. To help draw attention to underrated characters. 2. To help keep you from using characters that make the game too easy. The rest is my personal opinion. But, I am in the process of compiling second opinions about the characters from other people and placing them in the next version of the walkthrough. I'll credit you and add your opinions about Lelei.

I got a bit of a reaction did I? Well, 4,200 hits on the walkthrough as of this morning, but IDK what most people are saying about it. Few have corresponded with me through my email.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i think it's a good walkthrough, but i don't understand the chapters--i would prefer more specific descriptions for story segments so i can find my spot quickly. i am using your walkthrough to make sure i picked up all chests in the towns and stuff.
RVallant

Post by RVallant »

Rooks wrote:First, I have invited other perspectives, so yours is welcome..
Fair points. I'll be the first to admit my own rating system isn't perfect. It's tailored to my specific playstyle. I don't like out and out mages (they're pure boss killers in my view usually) and physical attacks don't usually do great with bosses (you need some oomph). So personally, I go for hybrids, those who can hold their own, deal decent damage and when need be resort to runes.

Lelei just happened to be one whom fit the full criteria when I did some party research for the game. She's not excellent though, just above average to good in most of her abilities. Plus SS Analyze is always handy (though I may be wrong, the thing is Suikoden 5 killed my PS3 with a YLOD, I've only just got it back so I have to replay it again - not that I mind anyway it's a brilliant game.)

I also don't go with the three rune slot, powerhouses. I guess I could be gimping myself, but I'm not a fan of using the rune combos that seem to be the staple since Suikoden 2, so again, I'm relying on raw stats most of the time I suppose. Doesn't stop me experimenting at times, I remember the days of using Goesch and so on just to be different. :D

Anyway, that's about all I have to offer, I'd chip in with more if I see anything to say. Nice to see more stuff for Suikoden 5 I'm a bit dissapointed its seems to get less guides and compilations that the previous instalments but I suppose the roaring Suikoden community is drifting off since there's been nothing for a while (bar Tierkies but that's another matter.)