Proposal: I am considering wirting a new SV walkthrough.

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Proposal: I am considering wirting a new SV walkthrough.

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

TrueWater00 wrote:though sick to the stomach, and a bit pathetic
I love your hypocrisy. I love even more the fact that you don't even realize it. :lol:
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

Lol come on now Le Klueze you can't possibly call me a hypocrite, I am the most TRUE person around, and you know it ;) nice try though ;p you have your goons and I have come to terms with that. I hate to burst your bubble but the people on here that pretty much just love Suikoden are on my side!! You can *cross your arms* and be *bitter* all you want but...I always win ;p
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Right. I'm evil when I point out an illogical and irrational statement but when you say the guy that wondered what the big deal is makes you sick to your stomach and is pathetic as well as a goon of mine despite that I barely know who he is thereby suggesting he can't think for himself, you're just a nice guy.

You're seriousy deluded. Though I suppose the problem here might be that I actually know what a hypocrite is.

You see hypocrisy has nothing to do with how TRUE what you say is, it's about claiming that one thing is right and then doing the opposite. Like when you claim that I'm bad for making a sarcastic remark and then just outright throw insults at other people that don't agree and pretend you're some sort of moral superior.

You're just as bad as I am, if not worse.

As for the TC, if you want to write a walkthrough and believe you can do it better than the one's already out there, just do it. You don't need peer approval, it just screams insecurity. If you don't want to write one but will if enough people ask for it, then don't do it. It's pointless. In the end, if it's any good people will use it and if it's not they won't. It's that simple. Just write the one you think is the best you can do and then ask for improvements if you need them, but don't just sit and wait for everyone to ask you to write it cause it's not gonna happen.

And for god's sake, don't do it just to spite me, cause I'm not gonna care either way.
Last edited by Raww Le Klueze on Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

no no Le Klueze I don't bash people that do not agree with me, I just bash people that agree with you :) listen up....I support Suikoden, it's what I do, I do not tolerate negativity (it's what you do) lighten up, loosen up, cheer up. You make a few valid points with a stingy, horrible after taste that nobody in this world (let alone this site) really wants to endure. I mean aren't we all on here for the same reason? We love the series, I know you want to be the tough guy/girl/thing, but let it go, enjoy life, enjoy Suikoden and well....enjoy me on this site! because I am not going anywhere!! hehe!! ;p
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Stop! You're both right, you're both wrong, you've both stopped discussing the walkthrough. Leave it guys.

Rooks, I think you should make the walkthrough if that's what you want to do. A consolidated walkthrough might be just what some people are after. Some people don't always have the internet available (gasp!) and something like that might be easier to save to a computer. Walkthroughs are one thing that will invariably get at least some use. Besides, if you enjoy doing that sort of thing, DO IT :o
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

I've no idea what i may have done to possibly upset you, Truewater. I only posted the facts. Raww's fanboy? Hardly. But yeah, back to the topic at hand. If Rooks wants to make this walkthrough, i support his decision. Will i use it? Maybe, maybe not.

Geez, i make one comment and get jumped, awesome community.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Hmm. . . I started this thread as a way to see if there was any demand for another SV walkthrough, but it has turned into something else.
Raww Le Klueze wrote:As for the TC, if you want to write a walkthrough and believe you can do it better than the one's already out there, just do it. You don't need peer approval, it just screams insecurity. If you don't want to write one but will if enough people ask for it, then don't do it. It's pointless. In the end, if it's any good people will use it and if it's not they won't. It's that simple. Just write the one you think is the best you can do and then ask for improvements if you need them, but don't just sit and wait for everyone to ask you to write it cause it's not gonna happen.

And for god's sake, don't do it just to spite me, cause I'm not gonna care either way.
First, I am asking for peer feedback on an idea, not peer approval of my actions. I could point out other posts on this thread that "scream insecurity," but mine do not. I believe they refer to this idea as "Projection" in psychology.

There are several issues I was concerned with: It has been 4 years or so since the game's release -the other walkthroughs I've written were done only weeks after the release of their respective games. Also, SV is a particularly easy game -though not as easy as SIV- and detailed strategies can only be helpful in certain places.

So, I made this thread to hear what other people had to say about the subject. For the most part though, what I am hearing is: "Do what you want." Well, I am not sure yet what I want. Walthroughs take hundreds of hours and usually 75,000 - 150,000 words to write, though with SV I could break 200,000 words. But going to all this trouble would be worth it for me, because I love the series, I just wanted to know whether or not other people would like to see it as well.

With that said, I am still not sure whether I will write this, but as far as this thread is concerned I am done. I do have better things to do with my time than to have Raww berate and project his own insecurities onto me. I will post one more time on this thread though, once I have made the final decision to write the walkthrough or not.

Thank you
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

OK, I have decided to write the walkthrough.

I have some other things to attend to first: my mother is going in for joint replacement surgery next week, (actually kind of a minor surgery, not really too big of a deal) and I will be out of town to stay with her at the hospital, and after she is discharged just to make sure she is OK. This will take some time, and I will begin writing it when I return. Considering the game's length and the size of the walkthrough, it might take me two to three weeks to write, then another week for editing, and correction.

So, expect to see it done in about a month to 6 weeks at the latest.

Thanks for your input everyone, and I'm sorry this thread turned out the way it did.

--Rooks
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

good luck!
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

Rooks, I am happy that you decided to make the walkthrough! And I do apologize for my previous comments. I wish you the best of luck!

Post by 727 »

Here's an interesting idea to differentiate your walkthrough. Make it like a walkthrough you would buy at a store. Use graphics and screenshots to make it visually appealing. There is already a hundred boring gamefaqs esque walkthroughs but how many real strategy guides are there? none. In fact the only suikoden strategy guide to my knowledge is for 4 and I own it. A lot of times just having something nice visually is much more appealing than a bunch of text. I tend to only look at the text when I'm stuck while the visuals attract my eyes.
A brand new Suikoden game with a well-written script!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Suikorok ... ?ref=br_tf
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Well, we can close this thread, because the walkthrough is already out.

There are Suikoden Strategy guides. SII's guide was written by Elizabeth Hollinger and published by Prima. Hollinger wrote guides for FFVII, FF tactics, Star Ocean, Dragon Quest, and many others. She is actually the best RPG guide writer to this day, but she was using a demo version of SII, so much of the info in the guide is incorrect. SIV and SV had guides published as well, but both were Brady guides and were horribly inaccurate and insufficient. Especially SV's official guide. The recruitment order, area and major battle strategies, and boss info were all pedestrian at best.

So, this guide does serve as a strategy guide replacement, but I have no means or desire to create a guide with visuals. Actually, I like the plain text GameFAQs style better, because without relying on pictures, you are actually forced to work harder on the text and the descriptions, making the walkthrough much more accurate and thoughtful. Besides, even if I wanted to, I have no means to take screenshots from my PS2. And there is no website that would host a large PDF file like that, so I would have no way to distribute it.

What will differentiate my walkthrough from others is simply the fact that I am actually a fan of the series, and the amount of work I put into the text. But keep in mind, no one is getting paid for these things, so it is kinda silly to turn Walkthroughs into a competition. I have my own style and preference, and so do others, it is just that the current walkthroughs don't fit me at all. And I feel they don't fit a lot of people.
Jam-Jul Lison

Post by Jam-Jul Lison »

Odd this was never locked but I am going to comment here. Rooks thanks for the great guide. i am currently using it along side the Cyril guide to help me. I just got the game for christmas so it has been a big help. I had gotten up to where I got my castle but then the save file corrupted on me. I have sense gotten a sony licensed card (Nyko) and am playing through again. BTW I want to use my bragging rights to brag that I beat Childerich & Dolph boss fight my first time through. Though it was partially thanks to your guide. I say partially because I also spend a lot of time fighting battles to get my money up. I am stubborn about not using the trade system. lol. So everyone was about level 21 and 22 in that fight. Took about 4-5 rounds. This time I am shooting for 3. lol. I know on a new game+ that would probably be easy. So I will see if I can do it in a regular new game. Currently my people are all at levels 21 to 22 and I am getting ready to go to the East Palace at the first time. Of course the ones that will matter for that boss fight are at 21. I will prob be battling for a while too. Working on getting my potch up to 100,000 and it is currently at 56,705. I have already got full armor upgrades on everyone and some rare finds on some of them. lol. Thanks again for the great guide.