[Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden Tactics

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden Tactics/Rhapsodia

Post by patapi »

Jeremiah Ecks wrote:You think the plot is weak? I'm actually enjoying it - it's more 'localised' than the usual 'country spanning war' (so far!). I'm kind of enjoying seeing something at a grass-roots level, a bit like I suppose Suikogaiden would have been if we'd ever had a UK translation.
This.

Being the first spin-off title to get localised, a good number of players completely miss the implication the "spin-off" design choices that went into the production of the title. Like the Gaiden games, there is still a (kinda) wartime setting in the background, but these stories chose to revolve more around specific individuals caught up in the mess.
Jeremiah Ecks

Post by Jeremiah Ecks »

Just weird, Bluti, because whilst the crews reasons for their journey are relatively 'weak' - yes, they just go en route to find Fish Monsters - there's nothing wrong with it, like with Suiko IV where it's just like 'oh, you have a crew, I wanna join'. I'm enjoying it all about equally, I have to say.

As far as Lazlo, couldn't they just have found him on Lazlo Island, hiding away in seclusion (doing a bit of a 'Tir' thing), and then he joins the crew when somebody recognises him and he gets the will to fight? If he's an agent of Lino, why is he hiding away on an island with Chiepoo anyway doing no missions of any type? And why ain't Snowe or any of the Knights of Razril with him? Not even the ones who could have stayed with Lazlo on the island with Chiepoo forever? (I usually chose Keneth and Paula incidentally, even though Keneth and Tal seem more incharacter IMO). You're right, it's fanservice but I think with a tweak of just two lines, it could have made perfect sense instead of being random and confuzzling.
patapi wrote: Being the first spin-off title to get localised, a good number of players completely miss the implication the "spin-off" design choices that went into the production of the title. Like the Gaiden games, there is still a (kinda) wartime setting in the background, but these stories chose to revolve more around specific individuals caught up in the mess.
Yeah, and I totally, totally dig it - it's great and I'd like to see more of this type of spin-off in the RPG Genre. It's also been nice resolving a couple of plot threads - my only regret is that we haven't had more stuff resolved. Like why do half of the team joint the Dauntless at all? :lol: I've got Frederica to come soon and seeing as she was one of my favourite characters in IV, I am hoping her backstory with Cray is fleshed out even just a tad. Like Ornan, it seemed the writers had something in mind for her but it was left in a 'mysterious' bucket and never resolved. I'd love to know what Cray did to her for her to hate him so.

-Jeremiah Ecks,
who demands a detective be put into any remake of S IV. :|
"Everything is something, but nothing is everything."
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Jeremiah Ecks wrote:Just weird, Bluti, because whilst the crews reasons for their journey are relatively 'weak' - yes, they just go en route to find Fish Monsters - there's nothing wrong with it, like with Suiko IV where it's just like 'oh, you have a crew, I wanna join'. I'm enjoying it all about equally, I have to say.
Well I meant that the plot in general was weak, but that too. However, all of Suikoden games tend to have random characters join for no reason and that's fine. I don't expect amazing backstories for all 108 characters. However, a tiny one-line reason that made some sense would be nice. I still enjoyed Tactics, and I don't mean to sound so negative about it, it's just that I can admit it's many faults while still loving it :) I wish there were SRPG spin-offs of the others games (or at least the Gaidens in English!)
Jeremiah Ecks wrote:who demands a detective be put into any remake of S IV. :|
Yeah, Deborah didn't cut it. I also missed having the character info for recruited characters.
Jeremiah Ecks

Post by Jeremiah Ecks »

I liked the confessionals though, even without a detective. But would rather have both.

I think I'm getting a bit fed up with Tactics, now. I am at the end castle, and <SPOILER> has been turned into a Fish Monster. I know I must be at the end but not sure how many levels left. Obel Ruins... :twisted: Genies!!!

The story has kind of dwindled a bit. Heinz and Cordelia did their thing and a lot of potential was ramping up but now it's just a bit... flat. I can't even remember what we're chasing and how we got to chasing it. Alas.

-Jeremiah Ecks,
who still likes the game but the story is starting to fall apart.
alexjhon

Re: [Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden Tactics

Post by alexjhon »

To tell you the truth, I once despised Island Nation Wars saga back then, consider Suikoden 4 lacking of characters battle and seafaring.. thus tactics (rhapsodia) was considered pretty disgusting as well.

But then... a few weeks ago, I started playing Suikoden 4 (just trying to see what my fav game series tried to offer) and I LIKE IT SO MUCH, the plot is great (short, mysterious, but great)... now AFTER I finished my suikodEN 4... (with such a pleasant impression on that great game) I tend to wonder about "WHY the last boss is THAT?" and many other unanswered question within Suikoden 4.. thus... ppl said that Suikoden Tactics IS the answer.. and I played...

I am now moving and still playing.. and I know most of my problems are solved. i am now truly addicted to this game :)
I play it every night and the system AND the plot is loveable.. but the most favorable are the ELEMENTAL SYSTEM and the characters' choices ^^ (too many female characters though)

I LOVE SUIKODEN TACTICS and thank KONAMI for creating that game ;)
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Glad the game grew on you! What's the probably with "too many" female characters, though :P
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Oh, I haven't given my opinion of the game yet..

Well, I loved it fromt he very first second I played it. I remember that my first playing session was like 10h long, until the dawn came again and I told myself "Wtf... I go to bed now" :D

I think it is a good S-RPG, but I tend do always use the same characters somehow. I guess that is because a lot of the cats is from S IV and these characters are not particularly my favourites...
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

The game mechanic is fine enough if you're Strategy RPG fan. If you're not it would be a problem though.

My main concern is that the plot is non-sensical. So, we're going to take over the country... by turning the emperor and the royal family into fish... huh. And a normal assassination plan wouldn't work because turning people into fish is much more subtle..? It's not like people aren't going to notice that their emperor is a fish.

This story would probably have worked a whole lot better without the fish angle.

Why does being sent to the World of Emptiness turn you into a fish anyway? It it diet related?
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Jeremiah Ecks

Post by Jeremiah Ecks »

Yes, the changing people into fish monsters isn't too well thought out. But in fairness, Suikoden IV time era villains aren't known for their intelligence.

I've now done a complete play through on Suikoden IV twice and I have no idea why Cray wanted the Rune of Punishment - if he'd gone to the effort of chopping his own hand off to dispose of it - or why he blew away Iluya. In the 'ineffecual Iskas' stakes, Cray manages to create a Doomsday Weapon that can't blow away the Dauntless, and he seems unable to quash a little rebellion from the Dauntless crew. It isn't like in SI or SII where the rebels are spread out and then secure in a hidden base for a time until it's strong enough to be defended.

That made sense in V, when Childerich takes over your base for a time, and that you're often on the move. But in IV... Cray and Troy really have no reason not to slaughter the heck out of you all.

Plus, what's the score? I'm going to invade so I can get the Rune of Punishment? Does that even make sense?

So Iskas trying to turn people into Fish Monsters isn't really out of touch with his Koluuk Kontemporaries. :)

-Jeremiah Ecks,
who wished for more Cray and Eleanor. Eleanor was AWESOME. But not as AWEsome as The Miz!
herugrim

Post by herugrim »

obvious spoilers:

Cray became obsessed with the Rune of Punishment's power after he lost it (as is often the case with true Runes), because he had a taste of it's power. He invaded for the rune, that's why he didn't sent Colton and Troy earlier to defeat them (though I'm sure it would've been difficult to track them down in the open sea and all, they weren't based on a single island). He blew away Illuya to test his new rune cannon. He couldn't use it on the Dauntless during the final battle because his men had been tricked into using it to destroy a decoy fleet (something the game specifically showed you) and needed time to recharge (another detailed in the game, being the result of Ramada's infiltration).

And Iskas didn't care about being able to turn people into fish, his goal was to assassinate the royal family and take over. Greedy men lust over power, after all. He's really no different then the Godwins.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Cray wants the Rune of Punishment so he can see his son again, not because he's had a taste of it's power.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Yesterday,i played this game for the first time in my life......it sucks. :x

-You cannot talk to other people directly.
-You cannot wander around in towns and vilalges,or even in the world map
-Battles are extremely long (15-20 mins each) and very difficult even in the beggining of the game. You are totally outnumbered,and in addition when you open up a treasure box,some additional monsters will appear.
-You cannot even train your characters,because there is NO world map.

As you can see this game is totally incomplete.

Many people here dislike Suikoden IV. If they do,i suggest them to play Tactics. After playing a couple of hours,they'll definetely appreciate SIV
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Wow. This mmust be your first tactics RPG, then? Because:

Worldmap: Nearly every SRPG uses a world map like Suikoden Tactics. But you're wrong, you can train. Later on, there will be training levels (in Obel or some other levels)
Cannot walk through towns/talk to people: Again, a tactics-RPG standard. I think too it's a pity you cannot see the Kooluk towns in reality, but then again, it's just a genre standard and not the game's fault. There are some Tactic RPGs that let you go through towns, though.
-Battles are extremely long (15-20 mins each) and very difficult even in the beggining of the game. You are totally outnumbered,and in addition when you open up a treasure box,some additional monsters will appear.
Well, so what? Many people complain about the lack of difficulty in Suikoden games and high encounter rate. In this game, every battle is at least challenging, but there are fewer. That's the way this game is. It wouldn't make sense to have battles that are only 2 minutes long.

Just because you don't like the genre per se, the game sucks. If you donÄt like it, ok. I think it's a fairly good Tactics RPG and a good starting point to the genre since it isn't that difficult or complex compared to many other genre-relatives.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

True,this is my first tactics RPG. So i didn't know these facts...so let's forget about these,and let's talk about the big pain in the game....THE BATTLES.

But challenging is just a word...this game will show no mercy!

As i already said,beside the main enemies,during the battle,some other enemies will pop up from nowhere.and they'll destroy you in seconds.

Add the fact that your characters can die very easily,so if you wish to have a perfect game,then you'll have to reset the battles over and over again.

In other Suikodens as you already mentioned,many people complain about the lack of challenge in Suikoden,but YOU can make it as challenging as you wish,for example fight all the battles solo. On the other hand this game is already difficult...at least for me,because i have no experience with this genre.

The only thing i liked in this game is,that Brandeu was playable...but he will be available only when you are fighting against Steele :|
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

true, the game is hard. With these enemies that appear out of nowhere: reset the battle nd you know where they'll come from. Also, one advice: Playing defensively will give you victories most of the time. I wouldn't bother with S-Ranks the first time you play the game, just win the game. It'll get ridiculously easy in your New Game +.

But true, if this is your first SRPG, a lot of things might be totally new to you and you need to get acustomed to them. I really rank this game high in the Suikoden series, so I tell you to give it another try. :)