[Guide] Obel Ruins

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Re: [Guide] Obel Ruins

Post by Wolkendrache »

Did you always end up in the same configuration? And did you beat the chambers and try again or did you reset whenever you met the "wrong" chamber?
Try beating Obel 1 and exit, then re-enter. This worked for me when I got the same configuration in Obel 5.1 six times in a row, but it could have been coincidence.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Wolkendrache wrote:Did you always end up in the same configuration? And did you beat the chambers and try again or did you reset whenever you met the "wrong" chamber?
Try beating Obel 1 and exit, then re-enter. This worked for me when I got the same configuration in Obel 5.1 six times in a row, but it could have been coincidence.
I usually go Rage/Thunder/Rage/Thunder/Rage/Thunder,etc...Usually it's 2 Thunder Dragons or 3 Rage Dragons. Also I got 5 times in a row this configuration with many Bow Skeletons without Golems in Level 5. Maybe a coincidence indeed.

Everytime I beat each chamber and I return back...I depart for a few days and come back on a Lightning day (if I beat Rage Chamber) or a Fire Day otherwise.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I've got to say, whoever programmed the Ruins was a sadist. In my current playthrough, I had to replay the Ruins three times (!) until I got one of the Level 5 configurations with a unique item. Who puts two unique items in a stage with three random configurations?

If you could directly go to the Elemental Chambers, that'd be great too. The first four levels of Obel just take 5 minutes each to finish if you just run through, but going through the whole procedure takes an hour, just so you get into a configuration of a Chamber which you already had ... it's annoying. Also, they should have made the dragon meat stealable and not a random drop (I'm not a huge fan of the hunter rune in any Suikoden game, but trying to kill a dragon with only 10 % of your attack? Good luck...).
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Antimatzist wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:58 am The first four levels of Obel just take 5 minutes each to finish if you just run through, but going through the whole procedure takes an hour, just so you get into a configuration of a Chamber which you already had ... it's annoying.
On my last playthrough I found a way to run through Obel 5. I used Trishtan on an owl (I think the armored one). Iirc he flew over the very left flank in the golem configurations. In the other one he could fly over the half left plateau. Bring Mega medicine along, especially for the 3 golems configuration where he has to take 2 golem arms. Needless to say, he’ll need the best equipment available, and some speed boost could help too. As a backup have one character stay at the entrance (I used Millay on an owl).
I played a NG+, so I even had the Iskas bracelet to never fall asleep. But even if I hadn’t, I’d still try because you could be lucky, or you could still save time even if you need to restart the stage. Don’t forget about the good equipment, a healing item and your backup character.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Thanks for the hint. Usually, I just run through with Mizuki, because nothing can hit her anyway, and I protect her with the Earth Rune Spells... I just wish you could see the range of the Golem's fist attack, that would make it already a bit easier to plan ahead for me.