[Guide] Obel Ruins

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: [Guide] Obel Ruins

Post by Sasarai10 »

Is the Earth/Wind,etc Dragon Meat a random drop? I used Noah so she could steal it but I got an Earth Force Mirror instead. I beat the elemental dragon and I got Dragon Fin and Dragon Scale only. I was at the M.E. chamber by the way.
Also now that I have the owls, is there any way to get at the end of each level quickly so I can reach the elemental chamber faster? It's very boring to repeat it again.

edit: Is it possible to score an S rank here? I tried M.E. chamber only but it seems like you've been thrown all alone into a forest of hungry wolves literally when you enter there. I survived by luck with only 3 Unites. And how is it possible to bring Rene there to dig up the Ancient Sword with one Monster being still alive? She'll be devoured for sure. I think it's best to keep a flying Lizard alive better...but still,she might put her to sleep, and even worse she's Earth element which means she's vulnerable in Wind mode. :|
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

If you are playing on emulator, S rank in Obel Ruins is easy
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Mother Earth was, to me, possibly the hardest level to S Rank, because these Earth bugs are hard. But in the end, it's like any other level, you have to play it very cleverly.
Th meat is a random drop, stealing will only net you (the very good) elemental mirror.

Yeah, using owls you can go to the end of the levels quickly, but in your first three or four complete runs, you should try and dig in all setups.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

gildedtalon wrote:If you are playing on emulator, S rank in Obel Ruins is easy
Never played on it...but how is it easy?
Antimatzist wrote:Mother Earth was, to me, possibly the hardest level to S Rank, because these Earth bugs are hard. But in the end, it's like any other level, you have to play it very cleverly.
Th meat is a random drop, stealing will only net you (the very good) elemental mirror.

Yeah, using owls you can go to the end of the levels quickly, but in your first three or four complete runs, you should try and dig in all setups.
So how many chances you have in order to drop Dragon's meat?

I think I've dug up every possible item. Basically I'm looking for Diamonds, and I dug up only one in Level 5.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Sasarai10 wrote:
gildedtalon wrote:If you are playing on emulator, S rank in Obel Ruins is easy
Never played on it...but how is it easy?
Trap the last enemy or elemental on all sides(there are 4 sides)

Now summon your low level characters and have them gain lots of experience by spreading their elemental beads all the time for a lot of turns, each person needs to stay on their own element.
Now save state once everything is set, what you need to do is check every character's turn what rank that you get, if it's not S rank, load state and keep spreading element with those low level characters

NOTE: If you end up getting B rank, there is no cure for this, it means there is another requirement that you fail to meet so you will have to retry the whole battle
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I'd have to check the official guide for dragon's meat drop rates, but it's probably something like 40% or so.

Diamonds can be stolen from the golems. Using the protective Earth magic, his fist missile cannot do any damage.

I found the Elemental chambers to be the easiest to S rank; if nobody dies, you pretty much get the S rank, even with treasure hunting.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Antimatzist wrote:I'd have to check the official guide for dragon's meat drop rates, but it's probably something like 40% or so.

Diamonds can be stolen from the golems. Using the protective Earth magic, his fist missile cannot do any damage.

I found the Elemental chambers to be the easiest to S rank; if nobody dies, you pretty much get the S rank, even with treasure hunting.
I don't remember the others since it's been years I had to play them, so for now I remember only Earth Chamber. Those Spider Beetles are really dangerous and even faster than your characters.

Any good party suggestions? I have everyone except Lino, Roget, Ornela, Busk and the 4 mercenaries. I was thinking about going with a full Wind Element party this time, or should I mix it up with some Earth-element? By the way all my characters are pretty much leveled up (everyone above Level 22-23), with Lazlo being the highest (Level 31). Are enemies based on Kyril's level (Level 26) or average Level of your characters?
gildedtalon wrote: Trap the last enemy or elemental on all sides(there are 4 sides)

Now summon your low level characters and have them gain lots of experience by spreading their elemental beads all the time for a lot of turns, each person needs to stay on their own element.
Now save state once everything is set, what you need to do is check every character's turn what rank that you get, if it's not S rank, load state and keep spreading element with those low level characters

NOTE: If you end up getting B rank, there is no cure for this, it means there is another requirement that you fail to meet so you will have to retry the whole battle

I think in order to get S Rank you must have everyone alive at the end, defeat all enemies, gain lots of experience and finish the battle as quick as possible.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Antimatzist wrote:Diamonds can be stolen from the golems.
Iirc you’ll get a Prime Gold Ore the first time, and a diamond the second time. So you need to steal from each golem 2 times to get diamonds.
Sasarai10 wrote:I don't remember the others since it's been years I had to play them, so for now I remember only Earth Chamber. Those Spider Beetles are really dangerous and even faster than your characters.
Any good party suggestions? I have everyone except Lino, Roget, Ornela, Busk and the 4 mercenaries. I was thinking about going with a full Wind Element party this time, or should I mix it up with some Earth-element? By the way all my characters are pretty much leveled up (everyone above Level 22-23), with Lazlo being the highest (Level 31).
A wind innate party is a good idea. I had Ameria put wind terrain under the beetle on the left, and Lazlo finish it right away (Ameria must be faster than Lazlo). Add Kika, Seneca, Nalleo (and maybe Dario if you give him a Windspun Armor), then maybe Corselia and Flare (at least one more mage).
Take care: if you overlevel your characters now, you’ll have a hard time getting the excellent S rank item from Graska Palace!
Sasarai10 wrote:Are enemies based on Kyril's level (Level 26) or average Level of your characters?
Enemy levels in the Obel Ruins are based on a certain number of your highest-level characters. If all your characters available were Lv20, then the enemies there will have around Lv20-22. If 20 characters are Lv10 and other 20 characters are Lv20, then the enemies would still have Lv20-22. Let’s say you get the mercenaries now (all Lv30), then the enemies’ levels will suddenly shoot to around Lv26. I don’t know the exact way it works, but it has something to do with your highest level characters.
It’s definitely not the average of ALL of your characters! And Kyril is definitely not the only factor!
Sasarai10 wrote:I think in order to get S Rank you must have everyone alive at the end, defeat all enemies, gain lots of experience and finish the battle as quick as possible.
I don’t think you need to defeat all enemies. You must deal a high average damage, must not get too much damage, must get a lot of total Exp, must have ended a certain number of turns on positive terrain, and must not exceed a certain number of total turns. The latter is the least strict one. In fact, if you’re too fast, then you risk to not meet the positive terrain requirement, so you need to lay some more positive terrain before ending the stage. This is what gildedtalon means, but it sounds more like you didn’t meet any of the requirements. :wink:
No problem, the Obel S rank prizes have no use, just wait until you understand the game more and try again with better strategies.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Wolkendrache wrote: Iirc you’ll get a Prime Gold Ore the first time, and a diamond the second time. So you need to steal from each golem 2 times to get diamonds.
A wind innate party is a good idea. I had Ameria put wind terrain under the beetle on the left, and Lazlo finish it right away (Ameria must be faster than Lazlo). Add Kika, Seneca, Nalleo (and maybe Dario if you give him a Windspun Armor), then maybe Corselia and Flare (at least one more mage).
Take care: if you overlevel your characters now, you’ll have a hard time getting the excellent S rank item from Graska Palace!
Enemy levels in the Obel Ruins are based on a certain number of your highest-level characters. If all your characters available were Lv20, then the enemies there will have around Lv20-22. If 20 characters are Lv10 and other 20 characters are Lv20, then the enemies would still have Lv20-22. Let’s say you get the mercenaries now (all Lv30), then the enemies’ levels will suddenly shoot to around Lv26. I don’t know the exact way it works, but it has something to do with your highest level characters.
It’s definitely not the average of ALL of your characters! And Kyril is definitely not the only factor!
I don’t think you need to defeat all enemies. You must deal a high average damage, must not get too much damage, must get a lot of total Exp, must have ended a certain number of turns on positive terrain, and must not exceed a certain number of total turns. The latter is the least strict one. In fact, if you’re too fast, then you risk to not meet the positive terrain requirement, so you need to lay some more positive terrain before ending the stage. This is what gildedtalon means, but it sounds more like you didn’t meet any of the requirements. :wink:
No problem, the Obel S rank prizes have no use, just wait until you understand the game more and try again with better strategies.
- I'm pretty sure Diamonds can be dropped from Golems. I dropped once or twice a Diamond after defeating them.
- No Lazlo is faster in my case, even if Ameria rides a Kangaron. Seneca? Isn't she Lightning element? What about Paula and Selma? As for Flare she's an archer but still I believe archers are good here. Also Double Sword Unite Attack can take out a Beetle with one hit. And if you are lucky you might kill two of them in one turn.
- Well actually I'm not aiming for S Ranks in a fresh game. I would rather do it in NG+.
- I see...but usually they are around Level 25-26 now.
- Actually I do better than I did 3-3.5 years ago. But still the fact that characters can die so easily it's disgusting. :x
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Sasarai10 wrote:- I'm pretty sure Diamonds can be dropped from Golems. I dropped once or twice a Diamond after defeating them.
Diamonds and Prime Gold Ores can also be dropped, but at a very low chance.
Sasarai10 wrote:- No Lazlo is faster in my case, even if Ameria rides a Kangaron. Seneca? Isn't she Lightning element? What about Paula and Selma? As for Flare she's an archer but still I believe archers are good here. Also Double Sword Unite Attack can take out a Beetle with one hit. And if you are lucky you might kill two of them in one turn.
Lazlo is faster mainly because he's overleveled. Seneca is wind element by nature. Paula is good but can't deal and much damage nor take a lot, Selma isn't too good. I mostly use Flare in combination with Corselia. Unfortunately Flare lacks Extra Move.
Sasarai10 wrote:- Actually I do better than I did 3-3.5 years ago. But still the fact that characters can die so easily it's disgusting. :x
Don't give up. It needs some playthroughs to really get the hang of it.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Wolkendrache wrote: Lazlo is faster mainly because he's overleveled. Seneca is wind element by nature. Paula is good but can't deal and much damage nor take a lot, Selma isn't too good. I mostly use Flare in combination with Corselia. Unfortunately Flare lacks Extra Move.

Don't give up. It needs some playthroughs to really get the hang of it.

Are you sure about Seneca? She was always Lightning since the start of the game. Maybe it differs from version to version?

Corselia is pretty fragile though. She'll be KO'd even if she's on Water Terrain. Basically all mages are fragile, but Katarina is kinda less. So I'd rather use her.

Yeah I believe I do well...I started to like this game actually, compared with 3.5 years ago when I was swearing I'd never touch it again.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Seneca is always Wind innate when I play
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Sounds like Seneca is wearing a thunder god garb.

Corselia is better than katarina. She has incredible high evasion and higher magic stat.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

gildedtalon wrote:Seneca is always Wind innate when I play

Yeah both you are right. She was wearing a Thunder's God Grab and I didn't even notice.
Wolkendrache wrote:Sounds like Seneca is wearing a thunder god garb.

Corselia is better than katarina. She has incredible high evasion and higher magic stat.
Really? Sure she has higher magic stats but still she's more fragile.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Sasarai10 wrote:Really? Sure she has higher magic stats but still she's more fragile.
Katarina has more PDf and HP, but Corselia has better Mag, MDf, Eva, and she's unkillable. More Mag for mages also means free rune slots earlier. Don't use mages as tanks, avoid physical damage.
Corselia's skills should be: Water magic, Extra Move, Godspeed, Concentration
Extra Move is awesome. Cast a spell and move out of danger.
Attach a Flowing Rune, Wizard Rune and Gale Rune. Equip Mag-Up equipment on her. Now, if she has a decent level and when standing on positive terrain, her Ice Breath spell can kill a dragon.