Which characters have Died on you the most?

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
sticky-runes

Which characters have Died on you the most?

Post by sticky-runes »

Not withdrawn, Died (so no storyline essentials)

For me it seems to be Paula, Keneth, Eugene and Reinhold.

With Paula and Keneth it tends to be my fault because they have decent mobility and magic so I have often become overconfident with them and moved them ahead to make use of their viper runes, and gotten them killed. Eugene has the firefly rune so it's obvious that he'll be targeted by the enemy. But Reinhold is the most annoying for me. He comes with the heavy armour skill and it hardly ever seems to kick in. and I rarely move him off on his own because he makes such slow progress with runes so he'll often be placed in a phalanx along with other characters and end up getting his ass kicked any way. I've probably read his death speech more than any other character.
gildedtalon

Re: Which characters have Died on you the most?

Post by gildedtalon »

Nalleo, guaranteed to die everytime
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Charlemagne, because...
- All characters without weapon rune attack (100% hit chance): Charlemagne and Rita. I must add Karl, because he gets it very late.
- All earth characters that get put to sleep by flying lizards in the Obel Ruins while hard-hitting enemies are nearby.

But also characters that are either slow or do not have extra move. Or both: Jeane.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

oh yes, Jeane is quite good at dying, despite having that rune that increases her chances of being defended by allies. Lately she has only withdrawn on me without dying.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

I think chances are 50-50 for anyone.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Sasarai10 wrote:I think chances are 50-50 for anyone.
It seems like they die more often, though. But that's probably confirmation bias on my part. I remember when I first started playing Tactics I would have people dying left and right, which is why I don't ever play anyone who can die anymore (except for Noah, Rene, and occasionally Cedric) if I can at all help it. Which means in a game with 50+ playable characters, I only ever use the same 10 (Kyril, Andarc, Seneca, Corselia, Lazlo, Kika, Frederica, Akaghi, Mizuki, Lalacle).
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I mean i think its good that characters can die in this game, it makes it a bit more dangerous and means you need to be careful with your strategies if you don't want them to die. I don't mind restarting a battle if someone dies in the first few turns, but I do find it incredibly frustrating if a battle has gone really well and there's only one enemy left, and it kills one of my guys.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I don't mind a character dying because of my bad planning. What I can't stand is a character dying because the RNG hates me. My favorite scenario in Tactics is: character moves into a position that causes more enemies to spawn nearby. One of these enemies randomly has strong compatibility against them. This enemy takes it's turn and critical hits my character. Character dies. Screw that.

It's similar to Suikoden 1 military battles. Pannu Yakuta. Send in Krin, who fails, because he's friggin useless. Have to go in blind. Kwanda likes charging (he's an infantry general after all) and that old book says to use archery when you are low in soldier count. So I'll use magic since he's most likely to charge. Aaaaaaaand Luc is dead because Kwanda decided to randomly use archery on the first turn. Screw that, too.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

wataru14 wrote:I remember when I first started playing Tactics I would have people dying left and right, which is why I don't ever play anyone who can die anymore (except for Noah, Rene, and occasionally Cedric) if I can at all help it. Which means in a game with 50+ playable characters, I only ever use the same 10 (Kyril, Andarc, Seneca, Corselia, Lazlo, Kika, Frederica, Akaghi, Mizuki, Lalacle).
On my first play I had to restart a battle quite often because of deaths, but instead of changing the character selection, I focused on understanding the mechanics and improving my strategies. In a game with 50+ characters I want to make use of 50+ characters. In the following plays deaths and even retreats happened less and less.
wataru14 wrote:I don't mind a character dying because of my bad planning. What I can't stand is a character dying because the RNG hates me. My favorite scenario in Tactics is: character moves into a position that causes more enemies to spawn nearby. One of these enemies randomly has strong compatibility against them. This enemy takes it's turn and critical hits my character. Character dies. Screw that.

It's similar to Suikoden 1 military battles. Pannu Yakuta. Send in Krin, who fails, because he's friggin useless. Have to go in blind. Kwanda likes charging (he's an infantry general after all) and that old book says to use archery when you are low in soldier count. So I'll use magic since he's most likely to charge. Aaaaaaaand Luc is dead because Kwanda decided to randomly use archery on the first turn. Screw that, too.
In S1 war battles the enemy attack is usually random. And whether thieves succeed is always a matter of luck. So even on your 100th run you can permanently lose a character if you use killable ones and you have some bad luck. In Tactics there are actually only a few things random: a small amount of random damage upon any attack; skills kicking in or not; spell (effects) hitting or not (e.g. earthquake and wind of sleep). Ambushes/reinforcements aren’t random, so if you’re in your 5th run or so and you die from an “ambush” because you let a fragile character move ahead without support then it’s “bad planning”. The only thing that is comparable is the anger when a character dies.

I don't like the system „lying“. I’m talking about the random damage I mentioned above. The display sometimes tells me the enemy will die from my attack, but it doesn’t. It seems the average damage number determines the symbol displayed. They should have added a third symbol (containing a question mark) if the enemy’s HP lies between my minimum and maximum damage of the selected attack.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Wolkendrache wrote:whether thieves succeed is always a matter of luck
Which is where my problem lies. Because, as in all things related to the RNG, my personal Luck stat growth rate is a 00.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Thieves usually succeed on the first turn from my experience. Later they are less successful. But chances are higher to tell you next move, instead getting money from the enemy.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i am pretty sure the Luck stat affects death rate.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Luck is so nebulous, it has to do SOMETHING other than having a slight effect on critical hits. Seems like a big waste to make a stat where that's all it does.
Dario_the_Great

Post by Dario_the_Great »

Mitsuba was my character that died the most, mostly because she'd get cheapshotted from behind by an enemy that flanked her. Gretchen, Ameria & Wendel were also problematic as I kept on expecting Wendel to be better at dodging than she actually is and I keep on thinking that the other two are sturdier than they actually are.