Katarina & Keneth (early 2-rune characters)

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Katarina & Keneth (early 2-rune characters)

Post by KFCrispy »

I just recruited Katarina and Kenneth, and their levels are 14, but they both start with 2 runes even though they technically only have the Right Hand slot free!

The Left Hand slot opens at MAG 30 for mages and SKL 30 for fighters..

Katarina's MAG is 21 and starts with Fire on Right, Lightning on Left
Kenneth's SKL is 17 and starts with Viper Rune on Right, Thunder Sword on Left

while this is not necessarily that awesome, Katarina's dual rune this early in my game makes her a lot more versatile than both Andarc and Maxine. Maxine's had some bad stat growth luck too.. so I'll take advantage of these characters having dual runes so early :)
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Re: Katarina & Kenneth

Post by Wolkendrache »

I called them "extra runes" in the document about runeslots here:
http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 27&t=14160
Other characters like these are Mitsuba and Karl. If you want to make use of this benefit, recruit them as early as possible, or to be more precise, with as low levels as possible.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Katarina's my fave mage in this game. She immediately upstages Maxine as fire mage, and she starts off with a good range of co-op attacks. She enables us to get good use out of Pablo by casting Scorched Earth with him, and she doesn't move like a snail like Jeane does.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

sticky-runes wrote:Katarina's my fave mage in this game. She immediately upstages Maxine as fire mage, and she starts off with a good range of co-op attacks. She enables us to get good use out of Pablo by casting Scorched Earth with him, and she doesn't move like a snail like Jeane does.
But her MAG stat is pretty bad. I never use her much because she's useful, and that unite with Pablo.. it's still Pablo!
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

does MAG stat really matter, though? You recover all spells after leveling up anyway.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

If she's on the same level as your enemies, you won't level up that frequently. I definitely prefer Maxine as a serious magician.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

right now Maxine my is pretty close in level but has inferior MP and of course only 1 rune slot... she doesn't gain levels easily so i'll wait for later to use her with frequent level-ups. in the long-run, Maxine will be superior to Katarina, but i've still got several story battles before that happens.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I've got a soft spot for Pablo because he started off with a promising career as lino's chief rune canon technician, then rune canons got banned, then he got an apprenticeship under his idol warlock, then he got killed. Now he's got fark all to do but mope around, but then he joins us and becomes buddies with katarina. And they got rid of his squawky woman's voice from 4.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

sticky-runes wrote:I've got a soft spot for Pablo because he started off with a promising career as lino's chief rune canon technician
he had no idea what he was doing then and he has no idea what he's doing in this game either :P
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

The name is wrong btw, it's Keneth
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Kenneth is the correct spelling, Konami got it wrong.
Pen

Post by Pen »

I personally call him "Kenny".
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

And he does have a tendency to get killed a lot in my games. I usually restart after a character dies, but I let him stay dead last time because he snuffed it during the final battle against Iskas.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Keneth's feminine side (or is he simply so manly he does not fear donning a woman's necklace?) gives him a unique ability to wear some women's gear... i think the aristocrats can wear even more (like dresses).

anyway, other characters with an initial left hand rune are Kika and Mizuki, and Eugene's Firefly Rune is on his head.

Katarina is extremely versatile if you get her while other mages are still limited to 1 rune slot. i'm planning on handling my next battle with Katarina, Maxine, and Andarc (who finally got to 2 rune slots), and maybe Pablo casting Blazing Wall together to destroy the pesky enemies who wanted to buff themselves with fire terrain..