S Rank recordings

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: S Rank recordings

Post by KFCrispy »

but slow characters means the enemies get to move more too.. and you can't alter the battle much, because Kyril, Seneca, and Andarc are fixed. if you take Rene, you only have 2 optional characters that have to deal with 6 enemies on her side of the map. it's not easy!

i would imagine only being able to buy enough time with a low-level Nalleo and Dario who gather the enemies on the bridge area and take out most of them with their unite while gaining many levels.... and perhaps if you leveled Rene enough she can hop on a boat on her first turn that would bring her to the first chest faster than normal... then she'd also have to get the right timing to hop on a boat in the Merchant's area!
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

The only problem about more enemy moves is that the battle is harder, or it's harder to avoid damage. But you'll have to risk it. If you choose fast characters like Trishtan an Kika, all leveled, making Rene the slowest character, you'll have virtually no chance of getting the 2 dig items within 100 turns. I mentioned Eugene and Dario (or Sigurd), but Nalleo and Dario is fine, even better when underleveled, very good idea. If you wanna get both dig items, I think you'll not save time by going for the western one first.

I'd say ignore the gale rune dig, just make a note in the video like "You can find a gale rune with Rene in the western corner, but it's not too important". Then, for example in Terana Plains, you could write "We'll go for the dig item near the merchant; it's a wizard orb, a rune that will be very helpful when going for S-ranks". After all, it's about S ranks, not any useless dig item. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe most players only care for S-rank items and rare/powerful stuff. Moreover it's impossible to get ALL battle items anyway, because bonus reward items and S ranks are often times virtually mutually exclusive.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

uploaded El-Eal, Collanbal, and Merseto. my next battle is back in El-Eal-- i had forgotten about the order of the battles. unfortunately i didn't work on Mizuki and Akaghi at all, so they are really raw and are pathetically weak when they show up. i need to figure out how to approach this...
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

oh DAMNIT, i just got to Chapter 12 and am finding i chose the wrong Suikoden IV data to load!!! it's been so long i wasn't sure, and even our own info is not too clear. i picked a data saved near the end of the game and not the clear data because i thought it needed all 108 SOD active... sigh!!!! while i guess it's ok to record it this way, i really wanted to test certain things and it means i need to use a previous save data and get through a ton of stages again for those tests (like killing the crab in Give Us A Sign with Cedric + Lazlo or something)
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Doesn't either work? I never experienced problems with loading save data.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

well i'm not 100% sure what data i loaded but it has tons of hours and seemed to be at the end of the game. i should load up Suikoden IV to find out, but at this point it's too late anyway. when i do new game+ to go back to test stage bonus item criteria and other things, i'm just going to load from an old save that had 2 playthroughs already.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

The only thing you get from loading the correct SIV data is the two extra characters. I don't understand why the game let's you load "invalid" data. Is it just for the scene at the beginning?

You're really not far into the game. You haven't done most quests + quest battles, Obel Ruins, monster hunting, character recruiting battles, etc. You've done the early story battles that take less time because they're smaller. It won't take too much time to replay up to chapter 12, you don't need to repeat the video stuff, and you already know your strategies up to that point.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

replaying everything is kind of a chore because i have perfectionist tendencies and replay things over and over even if it's unnecessary, and i wasn't planning on using Lazlo except to speed past stages i wouldn't record anyway, so i rather just continue with my current game. this gives me less "pressure" for myself since i know i won't be using the data for New Game+ haha
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

finished Caleron Lab. my pace has slowed. unite attacks are pretty poor now.. they are not likely to take out any enemies from full health
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Taking a break?

Btw, not too important, but in your video descriptions in the first battle at Caleron you should change "Noah" into "Nohl"
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yeah i am taking a break. i think i did record a few more battles (quest-related?) but haven't edited and uploaded. i started getting busy again. maybe it'll have to wait a while to continue. the game is really longer than i remember with all these different quest battles, and honestly it was more interesting to figure out S Ranking when there were more constraints. now i still need to dig up all the hunting area treasures and figure out which characters to use from the ginormous cast, and it's actually very easy since i already knew how to play well and just added methods to fulfill the S Ranking criteria...
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

A full month has passed
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yes i'm a lot busier nowadays. perhaps next summer? lol...
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Anything about Cyclone Chamber? It seems Cyclone Chamber is the least friendly chamber,even in a NG+. I hardly beat it (only 1 character remained at the end), even when I had equipment like Hero's Armor or Bondage Suit. Not to mention the Cyclone Dragon has a bad habit killing its own allies with Shredding Spell, which means less EXP.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

I don't plan on trying to S Rank the elemental chambers as part of the playthrough, but I might have gotten S Rank the first time I played the game. I used a combination of hard-hitting characters and high movement + Switch to quickly dispatch the dragons. Cedric can help get a physical melee character such as Kika or Nalleo to the first dragon, while mages nuke it from the steps and use Extra Move + spell cancels to cover ground.. at the southern area, I am pretty sure I just had 1 Kangacorn tank distracting/dealing with the skeletons and used mage unites plus switching in archers.

I will try to continue going through the game to get more S Ranking recordings up. I stopped at the Border Village last year trying to figure out if I could avoid killing the soldiers to get the bonus Stardust Dress while still achieving S Rank but I probably have to give up on that idea.