Better promotion campaign this game?

Closed with the JP release. Use the respective Plot/Setting and Gameplay forums, now.
LGM

Better promotion campaign this game?

Post by LGM »

I seem to remember when the first Suiko 4 trailer came out, within 2 weeks we knew all of its secrets; it was set on boats, it was in the past, Ted was going to be in the game (Who is this boy? picture), as was Viki and Jeane. When the game finally arrived we all knew the surprises, and didn't find any more. In fact the promises of 'Ancestors of famous characters', really only came true with Elanor Silverberg, which was a tad disappointing.

With this game, we know its closer to the original time span (but we don't know an exact date), 6 character parties are back (perhaps the most important revision needed from 4), we know Georg is going to be in it (but only speculation on other probable returning characters), and we know its set in Falena. Apart from a rumour about voice actors 3 months before, I doubt anyone had a clue Suiko 5 would be announced so soon, and then so quickly unveiled, almost entirely completed and ready for release.

Personally I think this guessing game is far more fun this time around, and I'm far more excited because I know less. The fact Konami is keeping pretty quiet on the game suggests that they've got some surprises up their sleeves.
Doo-Doo-D-Doo, Doody-Doody-Doody-D-Do....
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Better promotion campaign this game?

Post by patapi »

LGM wrote:I seem to remember when the first Suiko 4 trailer came out, within 2 weeks we knew all of its secrets; it was set on boats, it was in the past, Ted was going to be in the game (Who is this boy? picture), as was Viki and Jeane.
You are joking, right? They definitely didn't finish revealing stuffs about Suikoden IV within the span of 2 weeks after TGS 2003. Well, it's definitely more frequent, but I do remember some vital information being released pretty late. In fact, they were still revealing stuffs around a month before the Japanese release.

Especially that blurry image of Ted. It definitely came much later.

As for V, it's surprising. IV had almost a year for promotion (and it sure did well in that department), whereas V only has a little less than three quarters of a year. Even with the limited time span, the promotion campaign has somewhat slowed down after the very elaborate trailer at the recent TGS.

No complaints either way. Even after all those "secrets" in IV were supposedly known long before its actual release, I still found a lot more secrets from experiencing the game on my own.
pesmerga786

Post by pesmerga786 »

thats true, they didn't promote suikoden 4, to even know information I had to research it and stuff, like on google. Then I went through the information and read about. It was never advertised to me, I actually never seen a tv ad for suikoden games, but I have seen some ads in magazines
Fu Su Lu

Post by Fu Su Lu »

Slightly off topic...
I think is better to know the less the better -hope I have written what I mean-.
NChisholm

Post by NChisholm »

I think the reason they didn't promote suiko 4 was they knew what a piece of cow dung it was......
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot- proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

OFF TOPIC: I'm starting to think Suiko4 was just a game to fill in a part of the suiko map, and prepare the way for V. Pointless to jump to a different region with a gap in-between.

I founf the V ads to be quite intriguing. I mean, honestly, it has had less promotion than IV, and we're already saying things like "This is gonna be the best". I think we still have to wait until people actually play it.

(Since the style and features seem close to III, I'm guessing it has less chance to come out in Europe. Hope not.)
[evil laugh here]
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I take back some of my earlier comments. Looks like the introduction of a King's blog sure ensured that bits of information is revealed to the public almost on daily basis.

The original poster is comparing the promotional campaign of IV and V in Japan, by the way.
Basel

Post by Basel »

patapi wrote:Looks like the introduction of a King's blog sure ensured that bits of information is revealed to the public almost on daily basis.
Don't you think that Konami is going to reveal a bit too much if they continue like this till Feb 23, 2006? We have King blog in addition to daily updates on the official website.
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

I think the King's blog will only reveal basic informaition reagarding the background of the game, and not major story points and things like that.