Suikoden's 5 of a kind

Closed with the JP release. Use the respective Plot/Setting and Gameplay forums, now.
kelvingarinkz

Post by kelvingarinkz »

do they ?
i don't recall any similarity between the characters .. well, except those 5 mermaids ... and the three bro-sis of Mordo
kelvin loves suikoden
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

strider tag wrote:suikoden 4 , being 3D , also had lots of characters who looked a lot like each other ( archers , knife throwers , bare hand fighters .... )
I was actually impressed with suikoden IV in this regard. Didn't any of you notice that upon closer inspection none of the NPCS looked a like? THey all had different faces. That's fairly impressive in my book because I doubt in any other RPG(Ys excluded) would they go through so much to make all of the villagers look different.
I hope everything is going delicious.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

on the contrary, i viewed some of the villagers as having similar facial features in Normal Display Mode
Their hair and clothing are different. But not so much with the face.
Strategy is the key to victory!
strider tag

Post by strider tag »

kelvingarinkz wrote:do they ?
i don't recall any similarity between the characters .. well, except those 5 mermaids ... and the three bro-sis of Mordo
I mean , for the animations and the pose when they fight .
Cuckooguy

Post by Cuckooguy »

Actually, another RPG I can think of where no two NPCs/townspeople look the same is Skies of Arcadia, except the item merchants, ship merchants, guildmasters, and weapons/armor shop people who all seem to have twins in their respective occupations. But yeah, otherwise no teo people look alike.
Sovereign

Post by Sovereign »

I love Skies of Arcadia, but I had no clue that the town's folk all looked different. It's surprising what I miss even in rpgs I like alot. I usually just assume that most rpgs use dopplegangers due to time constraints and difficulties.

I never minded that much when it came to certain characters looking heavily similiar in Suikoden (to an extent.) I don't like when characters share animations though - that's pushing it a bit for me.

I think on today's consoles the 108 stars should have more individuality then ever. It would be lame to see doppelganger stars now.

Allen and Grenseal will always be personal favorites though.
silentstephi

Post by silentstephi »

Beavers?

Beavers?!

Why?! I really hope they look cute... at least they're not bunnies...

Are Kobolds or Nay-Kobolds going tobe there somewhere? Neither race was very interesting (honestly, the Nay-Kobolds looked like a bunch of hunchbacks with huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge cat heads, which was a bit .... fugly) but it'd be nice to see a different race pop up... er something.

O.O
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

~Adam Savage

http://www.silentstephi.com

Come Watch
NChisholm

Post by NChisholm »

If there is a set of 5 beavers....... well I would hope theyd use Suiko 3's battle system so I can frag me own party members....MWAHAHAHAHA...

Personally I hope for the queens guard to defecttt. theres five of them, right... dont want to look up at the moment........
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot- proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

There's eight of them; Felid, Georg, Rionne, Miaikis, Gahleon, Kyle, Zahak and Alenia.
Futch02

Post by Futch02 »

highwind44029 wrote:
Sars wrote:I have a feeling there would be 5 beavers.
If this happens, I am going to kill a kitten. :x
Ah ha ha. That kitten is so dead >.<
Stallion

Post by Stallion »

I don't think that the Beavers will necessarily be the 5. I mean look at what they represent - the animal people.

Recruitable animal people -
Suikoden 1: Kobolds, 2 of them
Suikoden 2: Kobolds, 3 of them ( 4 if you count borus )
Suikoden 3: Duck/Lizard people, 3 ducks, 3 lizards
Suikoden 4: Nay-kobolds, 3 of them

I think the Beavers will take this role, they will be more important to the plot than the Pokemon "Gotta catch em all" of the other games.

Remember also that in GS2 and GS3, four of the 5 collectables were not stars of destiny... and with the exception of the mermaids in GS4 the collectable characters were not in the promotion material.

I don't think the beavers will be the collectables, I'd prefer some Cutbunnies! With the wealth of characters in this Suikoden I think we will again see out of stars recruits, as opposed to GS1 and GS4 where they seemed to struggle for getting to 108 characters and therefore put the collectables into the 108 stars.

I simply think the beavers are too different... the collectables are always very similar to each other and basically clones except for textures. If there are 5 beavers they would have to either all be partyable or all non-warriors. I believe the only reason mermaids didnt' fight was that then people would expect a unite attack and that's impossible with 4 party slots.