Six character party system.

Closed with the JP release. Use the respective Plot/Setting and Gameplay forums, now.
LGM

Six character party system.

Post by LGM »

Has anyone else noted the battles in the promo vid? It looks to me as if you don't just have the choice of playing two banks of three. So far I've noticed a 1-2-3 formation (a triangle), a 'flat back six' (a la Suiko 4), and I think I also saw a kind of doughnut shape (two at the front, two spaced apart in the middle, two at the back).

If so, that would really make the game far more strategically minded. Sounds a good idea!
Doo-Doo-D-Doo, Doody-Doody-Doody-D-Do....
Star of destiny

Post by Star of destiny »

Yeah they have included new formations apparently! looks to be an interesting game!

i hope we get the convoys back too.
"Leknaat calls me "traveler of the night and bearer of the stars". Though I see the stars that dwell within each of you, I could not possibly hope to know where fate may take you. And I myself am simply one star among many."
Makumaku

Post by Makumaku »

I'm gonna constantly stick with the two rows of three, and LOVE it.

It's gonna be nostalgia all over again.
When Hero IV is abbreviated, it equals HIV.
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

I prefer the donut formation over the others. It seems cooler. But then again I guess different formations will suit different battles.
[evil laugh here]
Mukumuku

Post by Mukumuku »

where did you see this? I never found anything like that!
Why do so many people hate Americans?
Is it our fault that we're #1?
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

The six-on-six battles are shown many times in the various trailers for Genso Suikoden Five.
Black Knight Yuber

Post by Black Knight Yuber »

That's when each character surrounds an enemy from all corners and then attacks. That formation can happen in Suikoden III and I believe IV also. It's not an actual formation, it's when the characters go by each side of an enemy and attack.
Barbarosa Rugner

Post by Barbarosa Rugner »

Yes the addition of formations will certainly bring a new element into the battles. Overall the game looks great though
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

I am going to use the donute one as much as I can! This is wonderful news...now, if there's more than four characters who I would like to use (cursed Suikoden IV...), then, I can! I'm loving this!
"And as for the the end of the World, you need not worry. No one should worry about such a thing right now..."
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
Matt620

Post by Matt620 »

Perhaps the triangle type formation will make tank characters more useful without wasting rune slots.

It's an interesting dynamic to take.
-M
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Yeah. I noticed this too. That was probably the last battle mechanics improvement I have in mind. Gosh, this game is so gonna be good. And I agree with you, Matt. When I saw the triangle formation, I thought "the tank is so gonna be in front".
Tyrantblade

Hmmm.

Post by Tyrantblade »

If all this talk about varied party formations is true, then I just know it's going to remind me of Breath of Fire 3. But in a good way. Anyone who has played that game may remember that you had a good few choices on your party formation, some of which resulted in special bonuses when used. Here are some examples:

Defence Formation: Increases your party's defence slightly in exchange for a drop in agilty. Horizontal line formation.

Attack Formation: A triangle formation in which your point character gains almost double his attack, but loses some defence, and is nearly always attacked.

Magic Formation: Reverse triangle form where your rear character gains a great deal of magic strength and is hardly ever attacked. This reduces your other members magic however.

Refuge Formation: Allows you to regenerate 1 HP each turn, and makes the lead member more prone to attacks. It's a line formation. Useless.

Chain Formation: A diagonal line formation where everyone has the same agility as the point man. Unfortunately your defence is cut in half, and the point character is an attack magnet.

Hopefully we should see something similar in theory to this in Suikoden 5. Picking the right formation for a given situation can be fun and immensly satisfying.
Irish people play games too. We just do it while drinking stout and talking to our pet leprechauns, that's all.
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

I agree. That does remind me very much of Breth of Fire III. That was a great game, too, but I think Suikoden V will be better. It is a good observation of how the formation of the characters in battle will affect their defense, offense, magic, etc. And, yes, tank characters will DEFINATELY go in front in the triangle formation. These formations also remind me of Konami's "Ephemeral Fantasia." Certain types of formations affected the outcome of the battle, and they also affected where the enemy is. It's a possibility that the same designers of EF are helping with Suikoden V. A lot of the features of the cities, characters, and battle systems remind me too much of that game...but I think it will make a great chapter in Suikoden history.
"And as for the the end of the World, you need not worry. No one should worry about such a thing right now..."
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV