Konami trademarks Suikoden Tactics

Closed with the release.
Fundertaker
Location: DeathValley, Underworld (The World where Deadmans come)

Post by Fundertaker »

Daoster said:
Vandal Hearts 1 and 2 are the only strategy RPG games I can think of for the moment.

Well, you have FF Tactics, Front Mission series, La Pucelle Tactics, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness...
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

Fundertaker wrote:Daoster said:
Vandal Hearts 1 and 2 are the only strategy RPG games I can think of for the moment.

Well, you have FF Tactics, Front Mission series, La Pucelle Tactics, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness...
He was reffering to Konami's tactical games.
Sasarai is cute

Post by Sasarai is cute »

"Suikoden Tactics" would seem like a natural spin-off to the Suikoden series. I've been dreaming of such a game for a long time. One of the most enjoyable parts of the first three Suikoden games was the major army battles but they always ended too quickly.
In Suikoden 2 especially, I used to try to prolong them for as long as possible, just because I loved moving the units and reading the comments when you succeded in getting a "critical" hit or something.

Imagine Suikoden Tactics. It would have room for all of these elements, some sort of rock scissor paper combat or duels, huge army battles, S3-style skirmish battles etc.

I think the key to making a good Suikoden strategy RPG is too base it on the simple strategic elements fans are already familiar with. The unit customization from Suikoden 2 for example, where different characters bestow different special abilities onto units in combat. Just make things more complex and advanced but keep the feeling of simplicity and "flow", especially when it comes to gameplay. Personally I don't like strategy games where you have too balance on a knifes edge all the time to be succesful. Those kinds of games where the enemies are always ten times stronger than you are and every battle demands extreme, sometimes ridiculous tactics, to be won.
One more thing I loved about the Suikoden strategic battles was (even though they were TOO simple and TOO easy) how you could actually slaughter the enemy, and you really felt like you were devistating the enemy army.

Other elements included should be detailed strategic overviews, army customization, character customization. The strategists would propably have a greater role than ever before and much of the story and gameplay would be centered around them.

While strategic battles propably would be the vital element of the game, old Suikoden elements such as humour, nice graphics and appealing design (propably many pre-rendered backgrounds), well known faces etc would most definetily be present too.

I hope they do make this game. I would welcome it with open arms.
Last edited by Sasarai is cute on Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Those who fear dying deserves death.
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

Oh yes, Ring Of Red is another game to add to the Konami tactics games list... that was a very fun game. The art looked like Suikoden II & III's. So it had this welcoming feeling to it.
YuberClone

suiko tactics

Post by YuberClone »

I loved Final Fantasy tactics...

Admittedly i'm very interested to see how well Suikoden makes a tactical RPG. not that it isn't already. Hmm... i wonder what kind of battle systems will be used? will the basic battling be more like ff tactics where it's on an overhead map, etc..
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

Yes.. Final Fantasy Tactics was the masterpeice of all tactics games. A true classic. It has so many moments. Every fight with the Zodiac Brave Monsters [Especially Velius and Elidibs] When you get Orlandu for the first time and find out how powerful him and his Excalibur are. It's just damn good. If they have the right ideas for Suikoden Tactics I am sure it will be a great release to add to my Suikoden collection.
Sasarai is cute

Suikoden tactics would be the opposite of Suikoden 4. It would bring out the best of the game-makers at Konami. Because of the complexity of a tactics game, and because Konami is generally known for high quality, a "Suikoden tactics" just couldn't be done in the same overly-simple way Suikoden 4 was done.
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

If the developers of Ring Of Red help develop it, we are all in for a special treat.
YuberClone

suiko tactics

Post by YuberClone »

Hmm a Suikoden game with a Job-class system could be cool.

I liked in three how you could customize your abilities. It would be nice to see that taken to the next level. being able to bring along a support character that could forge your weapons or teach you new moves was nice to.
Sasarai is cute

What's this "Ring of Red"? I've never heard of it. Can you link to some screenshots from it?
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

Your a Suikoden fan and you haev never even heard of it? Hmm I guess no one really has played this great game. http://ps2.ign.com/objects/014/014417.html
Arenegeth

Post by Arenegeth »

Ring of Red a game released in the early days of PS2, it’s a turn based strategy game with mechs.

And anyway story wise I would prefer a war that doesn’t have a Tenkai, so they can focus on the battles more easily, like the succession war for instance.

Edit: Sorry Anamanaguchi I didn't see you mentioned it, I was looking through the first page :oops:
”I am ye who walks his own path and thus I walk alone”
~Arenegeth~
daoster

Post by daoster »

Sasarai is cute wrote:Suikoden tactics would be the opposite of Suikoden 4. It would bring out the best of the game-makers at Konami. Because of the complexity of a tactics game, and because Konami is generally known for high quality, a "Suikoden tactics" just couldn't be done in the same overly-simple way Suikoden 4 was done.
We all know you don't like Suikoden IV, no need to announce it so much.

Second of all, this can be either very simple, or it can be a very complex game... They could always follow the footsteps of Capcom and create an extremely shallow SRPG ala Onimusha Tactics, shattering your hopes and your expectations, so you can go off about how Konami has disappointed you again.
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
Sasarai is cute

My experiences with the Castlevania series over the years has convinced me that Konami is one of the best game-developers when it comes to reinventing their own games.

Konami always makes some crappy sequels just to return with something that is both extremely good, following the original tradition, and in many cases original.
I wouldn't be surprised if a Suikoden Tactics, or even Suikoden 5, would turn out to be a masterpiece loved by both fans and critics.

I'm not going to bash Suikoden 4, I'm just saying that the reviews and propably the sales figures as well has proven that it wasn't a very good game at all. So please, don't get into the discussion of "Who are you to say...". I'm just saying the obvious, that game was no major hit and it recieved poor critics and harsh reviews from a lot of hardcore fans.

I'm saying that a Suikoden Tactics game would be impossible to make in a hollow way.
Basically because I don't think the people behind Suikoden 4 would be competent enough to create a nice system for a strategy RPG and Konami aren't stupid. Of course they know that it takes different skills to create a GOOD strategy rpg than what is required to make a plain point A to point B, super-traditional RPG with no groundbreaking or in depth game play at all.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Sasarai is cute wrote:Basically because I don't think the people behind Suikoden 4 would be competent enough to create a nice system for a strategy RPG and Konami aren't stupid. Of course they know that it takes different skills to create a GOOD strategy rpg than what is required to make a plain point A to point B, super-traditional RPG with no groundbreaking or in depth game play at all.
Funny how most complaints about Suikoden IV wasn't about its battle system. After all, that gameplay is the long sought 'return' to the original system in Suikoden and Suikoden II.

The team behind Suikoden IV wasn't 100% new either. I guess their previous works are equally incompetent in your view then.