Konami and their poor handling of the series.

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
daoster

Re: Konami and their poor handling of the series.

Post by daoster »

Oppenheimer wrote:This is in comparison to what they could be doing, Capcom is actually working very closely with their fans on designing Mega Man Legends 3. They had a contest to choose from a selection of designs for their female heroine, and now they're also doing the same with some mechs now: http://www.extraguy.com/2010/11/mega-ma ... nnes-mech/
It would be so nice if more companies were like this.

....and Capcom just canceled Megaman Legends 3.

Yeah, Konami has treated Suikoden like crap, but it's just par for the course for the Japanese companies in this generation. Like deer caught in headlights.

I don't think Konami has treated the series particularly well, not even in Japan. How long can you sustain a fanbase by releasing Encyclopedias that don't have any new info, or useless manga's that basically retell games that are 10 + years old, or another music collection with the Xth version of a Suikoden song we heard a decade ago?
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

daoster wrote:
Oppenheimer wrote: ....and Capcom just canceled Megaman Legends 3.
But at least, just like with Breath of Fire, Capcom is being upfront with it. I don't understand Konami's apparent phobia of communicating with the fans. Bad news is better than no news.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Xelinis wrote:
daoster wrote:
Oppenheimer wrote: ....and Capcom just canceled Megaman Legends 3.
But at least, just like with Breath of Fire, Capcom is being upfront with it. I don't understand Konami's apparent phobia of communicating with the fans. Bad news is better than no news.
Did Capcom ever say they have no plans with Breath of Fire? Well, they are still releasing BoF IV Mangas (or did at least), make new stupid mobile games and so on. The BoF-Fanbase is still waiting for a new BoF, and e.g. the news of Dragon Dogma did rise hopes really really high.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Keiji Inafune himself noted that Capcom was moving out of the RPG market and putting their RPG franchises on indefinite hold (i.e. Breath of Fire, mainly). He noted himself that Capcom (and to some extent, Konami and most other large publishers not necessarily known for JRPGs) can't handle the financial burden of trying to go up against Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Tales.

Ironically, less than a year after that remark they released one more action RPG (Last Ranker) with staff from many popular JRPG franchises and the game flopped. They haven't made or announced a single JRPG since then.
Formerly known as: Gothann
AlOnZo

Post by AlOnZo »

DoReMi_Vampire wrote:. But if mobile games really are more profitable then Konami could easily release a game based on one of the mini-games in Suikoden.
They released the full Suikoden I game a few years back on their mobile network in Japan. It's also a pity they also never released Suikoden I and II on the PSP outside of Japan.

Terribly frustrating video game series to be in love with!
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Oppenheimer wrote:This is in comparison to what they could be doing, Capcom is actually working very closely with their fans on designing Mega Man Legends 3. They had a contest to choose from a selection of designs for their female heroine, and now they're also doing the same with some mechs now: http://www.extraguy.com/2010/11/mega-ma ... nnes-mech/
It would be so nice if more companies were like this.
Nevermind. Apparently some idiots at Capcom canned the game:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6324412/me ... -cancelled
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yeah Capcom seems to be unofficially killing its Mega Man games http://ds.ign.com/articles/118/1183734p1.html

wasn't there an interview saying Konami was considering making a Suikoden Tactics game for mobile devices? (link?)

.... and the last game for Suikoden was not Tierkreis (which I would call kind of acceptable), but actually a Pachislot machine. just slap your *expletive* in my face why don't ya..
JiggleBiscuits

Post by JiggleBiscuits »

Quing wrote:Honestly, I think Konami is handling the series just fine. I think there's hope for Konami yet.
Konami have completely bungled not only this series, but their entire library this gen. They've gone from being a powerhouse to completely irrelevant in five years.

Time to give the series to someone who will do something with it properly.