Thoughts on Recent Suikodens and Future Speculation

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Duke Gallison

Thoughts on Recent Suikodens and Future Speculation

Post by Duke Gallison »

I recently beat Suikoden IV again...

I honestly didn't think it was as bad as many in the mainstream gaming media made it out to be. Yes, the encounter rate is high, but you *can* "Release" weak enemy parties when your levels are high enough. Yes, the sailing sucks, but with Viki and the Glowing Hand Mirror, you can more easily return to visited islands. Yes, the story is somewhat underdeveloped and derivative, but I think the Rune of Punishment is the real star of the show. And I know there are things that are far more implied in the game than actually stated, such as the protagonist being the son of Lino En Kuldes and sister of Flare, and the son of one of hte original bearers of the Rune of Punishment. And the Kooluk Empire really isn't all that ominous, aside from its Rune Cannon, though it's further explored in Suikoden Tactics, which I didn't think was bad either, and did wrap up some loose ends left behind from Suikoden IV

Personally, Suikoden V is perhaps my favorite installment of the series, given its superb story, presentation, and all. I believe the same person who wrote the scenario to Skies of Arcadia also wrote the fifth installment's story, and it certainly showed. I liked how the game began, since the player is really left with the impression that the Queen of Falena is going to be the main villain (which turns out to be the Godwin faction), and that the Prince will have to battle, maybe even kill her. Then I realized that Georg Prime had to do with the Queen's assassination, and that he had good reason for killing her, to prevent her from destroying Falena with the Sun Rune. And I liked how they explain his eyepatch at the end of the game as well.

I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been a new Suikoden game announced in a long time (though the upcoming Tokyo Game Show could change things), but there are some things and prospects I'd like to see in a future Suikoden title. I'd like to see an installment focusing on the Night Rune, with the protagonist, who could perhaps be a vampire, obtaining the Zodiac (or Star Dragon) Sword, which I believe is an incarnation of the Night Rune, from Edge or Victor so he could battle wicked members of his own kind. The plot itself could focus on the protagonist reuniting the Night Rune by seeking out the Dawn and Dusk Runes in Falena (which I believe broke off from the Night Rune), and Zerase's Star Rune (another alleged piece of the Night Rune). The main villain could be a vampire more powerful than Neclord, who perhaps steals the Blue Moon Rune from Sierra like Neclord did and does things like resurrect past villains from the series such as Luca Blight and Luc, and has a large demonic army that threatens, say, Falena and the Armes Kingdom (which I think would be a good setting for the next Suikoden game). Appearances by protagonists from previous Suikodens, chiefly True Rune bearers such as Tir MacDohl, Riou, the new Flame Champion and the bearers of the True Water and Lightning Runes (Hugo, Geddoe, and Chris), and Lazlo En Kuldes, would be cool as well. Cameos by Prince Freyjadour Falenas and his sister the Queen of Falenas would be nice too.

Future Suikoden titles could also give explanation to things such as why Viki and Jeane appear in every game; I personally think that they're related to/are Sindar, and that each bears a True Rune, since they very much fit in with the theme of change, with the leader of the Sindar bearing the Rune of Change. Another Suikoden title could focus on Hikusaak, leader of the Holy Kingdom of Harmonia, and his use of the Circle Rune to establish his country.

Thoughts?
golden general

Re: Thoughts on Recent Suikodens and Future Speculation

Post by golden general »

Viki doesn't have a true rune, she travels through time. You can see that when you first see her in suiloden 2, she's confused because she was just appearing from toran liberation army victory party. She does'nt control the blinking rune very well and when she sneezes it teleports her anywhere, even through time.
big runescape player
Duke Gallison

Post by Duke Gallison »

golden general wrote:Viki doesn't have a true rune, she travels through time. You can see that when you first see her in suiloden 2, she's confused because she was just appearing from toran liberation army victory party. She does'nt control the blinking rune very well and when she sneezes it teleports her anywhere, even through time.
Could it be derived, then, from one of the True Runes, such as say, the Rune of Change? Since she is "changing" time, after all...
Mazinkaiser26

Post by Mazinkaiser26 »

Jeanne dosnt have a true rune either.
nobody knows what she is either (besides incredebly hot).
in suik 5 they mentioned a civilisation even older than the syndar. Jeanne, Eresh and Zerase probably came from there and... No one knows the rest of the story.
though Leknaat seem to know Zerase pretty well.
Let's Rock'n Roll! (Black Arachnia)
I don't Rock'n Roll, I Buuurn! (Inferno)

Mazinkaiser
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

i hate to sound grouchy, but i hope no major heroes/villains return until the final game, if that. of course it's possible that they can, but i will be very disappointed if they do. save the bringing back luc and luca and whoever else to the fanfics, thank you.
Duke Gallison

Post by Duke Gallison »

amelia108 wrote:i hate to sound grouchy, but i hope no major heroes/villains return until the final game, if that. of course it's possible that they can, but i will be very disappointed if they do. save the bringing back luc and luca and whoever else to the fanfics, thank you.
That would be fine by me. I realize that the series won't last forever (likely after they reveal all True Runes), and I'd certainly like to see it go out with a bang.
Red rune

Post by Red rune »

Tir is defintily going to be in the 6th suiko, i'm gussin' that 7 will involve riou majorly, but i really wish they would bring Hugo bak in the next one, bein karayan cheif and all. I also hope Lulu becomes unedead and has to fight against Hugo :) Let's hope a kobald or a non human character is largley invovled in the war in the next series :D
I'm lvl 99! plus my lvl68 party members
nephlabobo

Post by nephlabobo »

Red rune wrote:Tir is defintily going to be in the 6th suiko, i'm gussin' that 7 will involve riou majorly,
It's stuff like that that really gets on my bloody nerves.

They're not coming back.

Get over it.

And it's *definitely*.

Get a dictionary.
Mazinkaiser26

Post by Mazinkaiser26 »

never say never.

they can still come back if theyre planning to do a big storyline that includes all the true runes .
im thinking like major war against a ancient and powerfull race wich the syndar kept sealed for severall hundreds of years and they would need as many true runes as they can to defeat them.

that would be cool.
Let's Rock'n Roll! (Black Arachnia)
I don't Rock'n Roll, I Buuurn! (Inferno)

Mazinkaiser
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

Duke Gallison wrote:The main villain could be a vampire more powerful than Neclord, who perhaps steals the Blue Moon Rune from Sierra like Neclord did and does things like resurrect past villains
It would be weird to have other vampire steal the moon rune again, so we can recover it back again. This has already been done twice! Also it would take a long time (hundreds of years?) to master the Blue Moon, so I dont think this is possible.

... but I would like to see more vampires back in the series, they disappeared after Neclord. Maybe something like Neclord´s first bride or some vampire hunter that was turned into a vampire and now fights agaisnt his desire for blood.
Duke Gallison

Post by Duke Gallison »

I was actually more thinking that the sixth game could take place after the events of the fifth and before the events of the first.

The protagonist could be the Prince of Armes, with vampires led by Neclord (or another vampire lord) harassing the kingdom, and the Prince being mortally wounded. But Sierra sucks his blood, turns him into a vampire, gives him the Zodiac Sword, and tells him that he could perhaps be turned back to normal if he united the pieces of the Night Rune (the Zodiac Sword, the Star Rune, the Dawn Rune, and the Dusk Rune), and Leknaat tells him to gather to 108 Stars of Destiny to help him further accomplish this goal.

Just speculation, that's all.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Duke Gallison wrote:with vampires led by Neclord
lol, if I see Neclord again I'm gonna scream.
as for all the heroes coming back, it's been discussed to death, would be cheesy as hell and extremely hard to do seeing as characters can't change stars and there can only be one Tenkai at a time...
Purr.
sunstar25

Post by sunstar25 »

There's still the matter of the remants of Nether Gate. However, someone else is going to have to finish the job of making sure they are wiped out.

Tir battled with Neclord but Riou ensured that he would be vanquished for good.

If the next installment takes place somewhere in the SV-SI timeline in Nagarea or Armes and Freyjadour is a playable character. Seems he'll only be available if the event takes place within Falenan soil especially if he has the position of COTQK.

With each new installment a new hero fills the position of Tenkai Star. It would have to be that person who finishes the job that his (or her) predecessor couldn't at the time.
Red rune

Post by Red rune »

nephlabobo wrote:
Red rune wrote:Tir is defintily going to be in the 6th suiko, i'm gussin' that 7 will involve riou majorly,
It's stuff like that that really gets on my bloody nerves.

They're not coming back.

Get over it.

And it's *definitely*.

Get a dictionary.

Im just saying what someone else said in a post, youre right,i personally wouldnt like having the old characters coming back either(except Hugo and Kyril). And besides it's not like you're a genious at spelling. Its a small mistake...

Anywho

I wish they would put an intelligent non human largley involved in the war, rather then make them as a joke like Gen Gen, "Me a kobald so i dont speak english good" or uninvolved and recruitable like Feather. Na, i want them to be heavily involved and be intelligent, like Boris or SGT Jodi

Edit: Bad example, I was meant to put Ridley there.
I'm lvl 99! plus my lvl68 party members
neoshadow

Post by neoshadow »

as long as they bring back my viktor and flik il be happy :)

would be nice to have like 300+ characters but that you need to choses which one you take as the 108+stars

they should redo the whole first trilogy in masterful 2d on ps3 :)