Uber Bonus Dungeon?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
AlphaSigmaOne

Uber Bonus Dungeon?

Post by AlphaSigmaOne »

Anyone else like me who has this anal tendency to max out all of the characters and then complain because there's nothing to use them with?

I thought this could be solved by a super bonus dungeon available at the end of the game.

Something like the "Sindar Spire" (No, this is not KoTOR.) It would be like ten floors high but you can only access the floors via an elevator. However, each floor is "locked."

Something like "Seven Souls needed to advance," or something.

What I thought is this: each floor is your typical long dungeon maze with a boss at the end. After the boss is defeated there would be like seven alcoves for people to stand it and all seven would have to be filled to open the lock to the next floor. That would be six party members and one support. Of course, as soon as someone stepped out of the alcove the lock would close again so they'd have to stay there. So, it would be like one party plays a floor, defeats the boss, and opens the lock. This process continues all the way to the top where the Hero's party fights some ancient Sindar uber boss.

By doing so, this would require seventy people total which would be at least three fourths of the total combatants and support people.

Any takers?
Uh Oh
Michael Easton

Re: Uber Bonus Dungeon?

Post by Michael Easton »

That's an interesting idea and it's something that I'd like to see in the next Suikoden game; perhaps it could be a bonus dungeon that's unlocked during a New Game +?

However, given that there haven't been any/many bonus dungeons in the series I think this idea may not be implemented.
Quing

Post by Quing »

Actually, in my opinion, the lack of so many dungeons is one of the virtues of the Suikoden games. For the most part, they don't needlessly throw in dungeons, but only do it if the dungeons are plot-related. Furthermore, they don't make you spend hours of your time leveling up just so that you can beat a boss. I'm really tired of games that make you do that, and if there were an extra dungeon, I would feel that I had to go through it. So I'm bisque with them not making an ueber dungeon.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I thought the training area of Suikoden IV gave you something to do with high powered characters. They could always throw a Ultima Weapon type thing at you (from FFVII) where they are near impossible not required bosses.

But no, I don't feel the need to level up my characters past what's necessary for the final boss so I guess I don't know why you would bother. I like plot more than being at level 99, when the story is done so am I.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Would this "Uber Bonus Dungeon" have anything to do with the story? If not, then it really wouldn't feel like it belong to in a suikoden game. Main reason I play it is the story, not the dungeons.

However, it would be interested if it was a bonus sub-story, that leads off from the main story. That may hold secrets that have not yet been explained, characters or even some rare items.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
AlphaSigmaOne

Post by AlphaSigmaOne »

I would assume it would be plot related. Perhaps finishing the dungeon unlocks the Hero's level 4 rune spell or something.

Also, when I said "max out" I didn't mean get everyone to level 99 or such. I simply meant having it worth while to get all of the playables up to level 55-60 ,with decent armor, max sills, runes, and level 16 weapons.

It's more to get "everyone in the game" and not have a few Super characters and have everyone else just suck. Also, it would force people to spread out their rare runes. It seams like people who always do the Fury/Killer/Double-Strike combos are the ones complaining about the games being too easy.
Uh Oh
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

I do like the idea, although it might mess with the new game + feature, which I've liked quite a bit since 4. I guess you could have both, but it might be strange.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

this game seriously does need some gameplay challenges. it leaves many players wanting more after they've mastered the battle system. there are hardly any bonuses for training your characters. the Suikoden series does focus on and provide a good story, but why not also offer some great challenges? Suikoden Tactics' difficult areas were done quite well.