Official Suikoden News (last news: September 17, 2011)

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
piano_roller

Re: Official Suikoden VI News (last news: December 6, 2007)

Post by piano_roller »

hey guys, i dont know if this has been posted here before but after doing some wikipedia reading ive found something that might give us fans some hope.
this wikipedia entry is about the head director/ producer of suikoden 1&2, it vaguely hints that he "as of 2010 is again writing an rpg for a certain company"... its kinda safe to assume they are talking about suikoden simply because its the only rpgs hes ever produced that are notable.

this is the exact entry taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshitaka_Murayama
:

After leaving Konami, he immediately set up his own company, Blue Moon Studio, that have since released the game 10,000 Bullets (Tsukiyo ni Saraba in Japan). In January 2010, a cryptic update was posted on Blue Moon Studio.

“ "I've received an offer from a certain company. Although I'm very thankful, the idea left me very troubled, personally. Should I accept or not? Even now, it still concerns me. What to do about this...? They say the Rubicon is a very small river. I wonder what crossing it felt like? That's my current mood."

—Yoshitaka Murayama, Blog entry[2] January 27, 2010

Some fansites have interpreted his use of the idiom "Crossing the Rubicon" and reference to a "certain company" as a possible return to Konami. Murayama later added that he was as of 2010, writing an RPG, again for a "certain company". It has been speculated that he is returning to the Suikoden franchise, which has seen plummeting sales since the third game, but as of February 2011, no new information has been reported. Murayama is currently writing a manga adaptation of Laura Resnicks Magic: The Gathering novel The Purifying Fire with artwork by Yoshino Himori[3].

Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

This has been talked about MANY times in the community before. A later blog entry of his stated that he "decided not to cross the Rubicon."
Poko4Sho

Post by Poko4Sho »

Actually, the article says as of 2010, Murayama IS writing an RPG again for a "certain company".

So which came first, "I'm not crossing the Rubicon" or "I'm writing an RPG again for a certain company"?
blah1017

Post by blah1017 »

What does it say on this page?
http://www.bm.ai/modules/keireki/
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

what do yo exactly want to know? The latest news entry is about the magic the gathering project.
Ayuu

Post by Ayuu »

Konami if I remember correctly was about to say something about the Suikoden games event to occur in September or August if I mistake not, and ...
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

I don't think there has ever been an official Suikoden-centric gaming event. The last major game in the franchise (Tierkreis) was revealed via Famitsu and was first shown in public at a press-centric Konami event.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Re: Official Suikoden VI News (last news: July 21, 2011)

Post by Oppenheimer »

Official news update.
  • While conducting an interview on 4gamer for their new upcoming RPG Frontier Gate a couple Konami employees stated that they were designing Frontier Gate from scratch as they had previously disbanded their Suikoden team and had therefore lost all their RPG-creation know-how.

Needless to say this is grim news for the Suikoden community. But, it does not mean a new team cannot take over the Suikoden name later. Konami has done this before with other franchises, such as Silent Hill. There is also still the possibility of re-releases of existing content and side projects, such as the Pachislot machine.
Remember that there are no opinions or speculation allowed in this announcement thread.

You can discuss your feelings further in this topic.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

That really sucks. But I refuse to give up hope of there one day being a Suikoden 6. I has to happen :D
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

It WILL happen :D
tiki
Banned User

Post by tiki »

Nikisaur wrote:That really sucks. But I refuse to give up hope of there one day being a Suikoden 6. I has to happen :D
If it does come out it will not continue the plot that 1, 2 or 3 set into motion, or tie up any plot threads due to lacking the story writers that put the main storyline into motion. There's literally no reason to hold on to hope for Suikoden. Don't give Konami any more of your money.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

First of all, thank you Vextor for getting this info out to the English-speaking fans.

Anyway, that's really bad news no matter how you slice it. Konami can always go the "Silent Hill route" and let someone external make the games, but it will probably be several years (or longer) before anything new happens.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

I don't think its neccesarily bad news at all. But Konami probably would be better off selling the series to someone who is actualy willing to do somethign with it ...i.e. to suikosource lol
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

tiki wrote:
Nikisaur wrote:That really sucks. But I refuse to give up hope of there one day being a Suikoden 6. I has to happen :D
If it does come out it will not continue the plot that 1, 2 or 3 set into motion, or tie up any plot threads due to lacking the story writers that put the main storyline into motion. There's literally no reason to hold on to hope for Suikoden. Don't give Konami any more of your money.
This man speaks the truth, at least somewhat. If there are new people involved there's not much chance that they knew what the original team had in mind for some of the characters, which means they could do a 180 degrees turn to the worse.

But hey, they can always make their own stuff happen in the Suikoden world, it's better than nothing.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

But the orignial team has almost completely changed a number of times since SII. We would only be experiencing what we've experienced already. So, in other words, for us fans ....nothings changed. The fact that some of the most recent Suikoden staff members are working on other RPG's shows that atleast Konami haven't given up on the genre. It wouldn't be hard for them to pull as much of the team as they can back together or to even start afresh.