Windy and Barbarosa will be back. Windy lived too long and did too many bad things in her days to just die from being thrown off a building.
Anyway . . . since this seems like the appropriate thread, I'm going to bring up my idea for a new combat setup for S6 or beyond.
So I already posted most of this in another thread and I really don't want to again so here's the short version:
1. I know a lot of people for some reason weren't impressed with Star Ocean, but I can imagine 4-6 characters running around in real time combat on the screen. I know what you're thinking but hear me out.
2. Set up macros so characters can either run and attack, or stay behind to do magic, or stick with other characters. You can have them burn through magic to win. And maybe implement a new thing that boosts an embedded magic drain rune so when you run out of magic, you smack things automatically to get it back. The reason for character sticking together macros is:
3. If certain conditions are met. Say your unite attacks are on a build meter, when two or more characters are within range of each other, you get the option to trigger the unite. If you're not controlling the character in that scenario at the time, the unit will automatically happen. If you are in control, you'll get the option to trigger it.
4. Now because of all the chaos that's likely to be going on the screen, it's probably best that your basic command is just Attack. I'm thinking you don't need to button mash, you just set the command by default and your character does it until you change your mind. Then while you're running around, you can use items, or runes when needed.
5. Just like a Real Time RPG battle, when you want to use an item, or a spell, time stops while you decide what you want to do. Other wise it might be too chaotic.
6. You control one character at a time and you can move them about the battle field.
Okay, I know it sounds pretty much like Star Ocean. And everyone's entitled to their opinion so please feel free to give me some feedback. But given how easy (and frankly kind of boring) Suikoden battles in the past have been, don't you think this would be kind of an exciting way to reviving the series? The two primary elements in Suikoden gameplay are story and battles. You can't progress the story without getting your nose a little bloody. So, if you want a boring story, get a boring battle system. If you want an exciting story, I think an exciting battle system is necessary. It worked pretty well for Star Ocean 2. Star Ocean 4 on the other hand had a great battle system but the story was kind of bland.
To that point, I agree they need to work on the army battle system too. There are aspects from all the games I liked. Maybe they could combine them all into something nifty. How about, combining the movement system from 2, the character group battles from 3, and pre-attack things you can do from S1, like spy, or attack boost. And have the armys running around the field look like they do in S5. I dunno, maybe have a guy with a rune cannon strapped on his back.
So anyway, just throwing out my ideas for what I'd like to see in Suikoden 6. Good story, good battles.
"Black Rune, pink balloon! This guy killed Gremio!!!"