The 27 True Runes

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Falenan_descent

The 27 True Runes

Post by Falenan_descent »

Wow. You know, i was just reading through the True Runes section here on suikosource and I was reading down the list and I started to read the Rune of Beginning section. And I really liked the way it described the rune. "The bearers are pitted to fight against each other to claim the other half." Not a direction quotation but the gist of it is there.

But it makes it sound like a game between the runes, almost... And then it got me thinking...we oftne think of the true runes as just really powerful etchings on your skin that allow you to cast some seriously powerful magic. But, there is so much more to it than that. What I'm getting at is just how much control do we THINK we have over the true runes. What if they have a mind and conciousness of their own that we're not being told about. What if the runes are purposely letting humanity use them as tools for war for a greater purpose.

What do you guys think? Do you believe the runes are more than just what we get in games? Do you think they'll ever expand on them? We know that runes can and indeed hold memories of the past. And we know that runes have individual personalities which can be aletered (Punishment into peace) Discuss!
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

Actually, many of us think they are much more than simply brandings on bearer's hands. We have actually discussed the True Runes to great lengths in many sections on this site. In fact, we know them to be sentient beings capable of emotions and feelings, with goals and desires.

There has been an editorial written to this effect on this site regarding the True Runes. There is also threads in the in-depth discussion section regarding the True Runes. You could check there to see discussions of that nature.
Raijin

Post by Raijin »

I love topics about True Runes. :D

I always wanted Konami to emphasize on True Runes a bit more, the reason I liked Suikoden 3 so much is because the True Rune's influence in that game is much bigger when compared to the others.

I have always wondered if True Runes can intentionally affect on the bearers thoughts and can mold his/her thought as if it is its own. Maybe the True Wind Rune how knew Luc would react if it showed him the future of the world.

The Star Dragon Sword is good indication that a True Rune does have a mind of its own. And can apparently take another form other than an orb.

Suikoden 3 was the only game that looked like it was going forward with Harmonia, True Runes, Dharma and Chaos which are the outline for the Suikoden series. But I think Konami can't concentrate on that because it will just confuse newcomers (damn them).
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Actually, the last two main-series games seemed more like filler games in terms of storyline. They explore the lands south of Toran with little attachment to the rest of the world (Harmonia) because they're too far south to even be bothered with Harmonia's armies.

The exile of Suikoden 4's hero (Lazlo) is basically the only thing that could tie into the grand scheme of the True Rune hunt that Harmonia is doing, since Lazlo disappears (hence: he could turn up anywhere in the world) whereas the seemingly "Good" ending of Suikoden 5 doesn't seem to do the same (I'm not sure if spoilers on Suikoden 5 are allowed yet) and ends up just being more filler than actually tie into the rest of the established storyline (Ex-Harmonian states warring with each other).
Formerly known as: Gothann
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Who is to say that the True Runes were supposed to be THE main storyline of the series? Suikoden III was the only one to make such a big deal of them collectively, otherwise the other 4 main installments dealt with each of the True Rune individually, and such gave them more unique characteristics that allowed us to identify them with.

Like 4 and 5, 1 and 2 were also mostly meant to present standalone stories, focusing on the wars that took place in each game. The True Runes acted as mere catalyst to the wars, but never overriding the specific motivations of the parties involved politically.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I thought the rune of punishment was a masterpiece and the way the twilight and dawn runes connect with the sun rune and Night rune...

you just have to read Demon eye's{now known as prophet} true rune editorial to really appreciate how awsome each true rune is

Suikoden 4 and suikoden 5 did excellent jobs concerning the true runes IMO
Falenan_descent

But the thing is, the Suikoden world wouldn't be the same if not for the runes. The runes are what fuel wars and at the end of every game...the final boss is -always- a Reincarnation of a True Rune albeit Suikoden IV where we fought a magical tree.
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

Well, I would slightly disagree. I think the main emphasis of the Suikoden series is the interaction between the people in the face of controversy. The driving will of mortals to overcome turmoil. The True Runes add an element of mystery and divinity. They are that invincible guiding hand in my opinion. How the people deal with their fate and destiny attracts me to the story line. True Runes are simply the opening feature to a much deeper and broader reaching drama.
Falenan_descent

Yeah but the game is centered around the True Runes, mostly. Like the deepest part of the story is always about the True Rune. And gathering the 108 stars usually alters the rune in some way or another.

In Suikoden II, if it weren't for the Bright Shield and Black Sword runes then Jowy and Riou wouldn't have fought and the game wouldn't have occured the same way.

If the Suikoden IV hero never got the RoP it would probobly still be wreaking havoc in the area.

The game IS about interaction between people in the face of controversy. Don't get me wrong. But, I believe the game's deeper meaning always consists of a true rune.
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

For me, it would be like looking at the Sun as the center of the universe. It is brilliant and shines out the most, but if you focus on it you miss out on the many other celestrial bodies that have a more poignant role on the overall activities in the entire universe.

Recall that every game involves a conflict, a True Rune often is involved in triggering the event, but the people are the ones that must resolve it and the people are the ones who start the conflict in the first place by wishing to obtain said True Rune or by misusing said True Rune.

Of course, the True Runes are an integral part of the storyline but they have not, at least not to me, been the main objective of the series as of yet. The interaction between the many races, the petty conflicts, the politics, those have been the main features for the series for me.