war of succesion

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
coxy888

war of succesion

Post by coxy888 »

i think that one of the future games will be based on the succesion war and the hero is barbossa
anyone else think the same?
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

I recently posted a thread about the possible return of Barbarossa as a SoD in the future but I dont think that it would work as another game entirely mostly because you would'nt have the unique Tenkai star that we are all used to.

If you have a solution to this though I would love to hear it?
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
Fury

Post by Fury »

I think that would cause a crucial conflict in structure. If Barbarossa were to be a Tenkai star, then it would not make sense that he would fight Tir, another Tenkai star.
Iku

Post by Iku »

the tenkais dont have to like each other just because their meant to be 'good' it doesnt mean their after the same thing! and we all know barbarossa wasnt in his right mind!so it is a possiblility i personally would like to see it after all we could see a few returning characters but in a different role , cleo as an actual general! :wink:
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Barbarossa was'nt evil he was just......stupid I guess. He fought for a good cause during the succession war and Its not completly unfounded that the war itself would be interesting. I mean if you look at the succession war its just like Suikoden. Big battles, the defeat of an evil force, struggle for a true rune. But Suikoden is all about "tradition" you might say and when you start changing things, the fans wont be happy.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Perhaps antother spinoff game, a la Rhapsodia?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

or Barbarossa can be the Tengou star in such a game, with some unnamed Hero Tenkai who simply vanished from the limelight after the war.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Vector Xthonic wrote:or Barbarossa can be the Tengou star in such a game, with some unnamed Hero Tenkai who simply vanished from the limelight after the war.
Good idea. Serving with Teo when he was young. Recruiting Pahn and Gremio. Cleo and the rest. Meet Tir's mother and even find out about the romance between Teo and Sonya Shullen.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB2/viewt ... sc&start=0

We were actually talking about the possibility of the succession war being a Tactics 2 type of game in here.
Purr.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

I dont knwo what people will think about this but I hated tactics. I liked it because it was suikoden but beyond that I would have got a refund straight away. It just seemed fake. I would'nt say as bad as FF 10-2 but still was'nt that good.

I would'nt want the succession wars put into tactics format. Unless major improvements were made. I mean it was just about elemental tiles in the end.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Then the spin-off titles must be more or less fake then. The Suikogaiden games were no more than text-scrolling button-mashing action games in the end, after all.

Not to mention that parts of the Succession Wars have already been covered in prose format in some of the earlier Suikoden publications. It would be a marked change of pace to have Konami adopt these retconned tales into a proper game format.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

You make a good point Patapi. The games dont have to always be central. I liked the Suikoden 2 army battles more than tactics but if you threw away the elemantal tiles. vamped it up. Like major battles. Instead of just a six man party. loads of units fighting. Instead of elemental tiles just leave the strategy up to the player. There were plenty of support runes in suikoden. Bring the jongleur rune back.

It just seemed one sided in the end and the strategy was just sucked out of it. It seemed like a half-assed game to me. But it does'nt mean I would'nt buy A new suiko tactics game if it came out. I would just like to see more improvements.
Fury

Post by Fury »

I love the gameplay in Suikoden Tactics. It's a good alternative to attack attack attack heal magic attack attack. You actually have to think about movements and use a strategy. Each unit has its upside and downside.

As far as the "lots of units" or whatever, didn't we see something like that in Suikoden V?
Miklotov

Post by Miklotov »

I'm not entirely sure but I thought I remembered reading an interview stating that tactics was only made to clear up some of the loose ends from IV and would be the only tactics game. If anyone can clarify I'd appreciate it.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Fury wrote:As far as the "lots of units" or whatever, didn't we see something like that in Suikoden V?
Yes we did Fury. Im not saying it has'nt been done but the Suikoden 5 army battle was nothing but an slightly more advanced version of the rock paper scissors battle. Im saying something much more advanced for a tactics format. The use of formation, tactics, flanking movements can be improved upon. I said before I did'nt hate tactics because of the format but because it was over simplified in the end. The more I think the succession war in a tactics format, the more I think its a good idea. However I would'nt want it to be like suiko tactics.