The Return Of Barbarossa!

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Sniper_Zegai

The Return Of Barbarossa!

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

I was'nt sure whether to put this in the Suikoden 1 or this forum but obviosly I choose this one. Barbarossa was one of the most fascinating enemies in the suikoden series because he was'nt really evil, just naive I geuss. Anyway there are a couple of qeustions for this thread.

1. The king dragon sword had the sovereign rune embedded in it, previous emperors weilded the rune itself. If emperor barbarossa was able to use its power regardless, does that mean he is immortal?

2. Barbarossa was never found and neither was the sword, do you think its possible barbarossa is alive?

3. And finally if the previous questions are true, would you want his return, would you prefer the sovereign rune to re-surface in some other manner and if so, how?

I look forward to your posts. Thank you.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

1. The sword will never rust. Barbarossa is mortal.

He has no death date because he is officially missing, not dead, along with Windy.
Source

3. No. Simply because there'd be almost no purpose in him doing so. He lost his empire. Would Gregminister (or the whole Toran Republic) be willing to take him back after his deeds?
[evil laugh here]
nephlabobo

Re: The Return Of Barbarossa!

Post by nephlabobo »

Sniper_Zegai wrote: 2. Barbarossa was never found and neither was the sword, do you think its possible barbarossa is alive?
sigh...........No. He's dead, Jim.
Sniper_Zegai wrote:3. And finally if the previous questions are true, would you want his return, would you prefer the sovereign rune to re-surface in some other manner and if so, how?
sigh...........No.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

nephlabobo wrote:sigh...........No. He's dead, Jim.
The official information about Barbarossa is that he is "missing". The same goes for Windy. It's stated already on the post above yours. Please consider that before saying that Barbarossa is dead (which is not true). Thank you.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Tsharr

Post by Tsharr »

It seems to me that there is a reoccuring theme of people wanting to see old villians, heroes, etc show up, even when their story has been told and they had an ending that was suitable for them.

If we keep bringing back people from the past, we can't have new characters that we will come to enjoy.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Then a mixture would be required of old and new characters. Simply saying you don't want people to come back because it would limit new characters is a little ignorant, considering the cast of 100+ characters (SoD and non-SoD alike) in each and every numbered game.

I for one don't want these specific characters to return, but smaller characters from previous games would be nice if we could learn more about them with every appearance.

For these two specifically, I would like for their runes to return to the series (1.5 True Runes seems pretty important to me), but not the actual people. It would be interesting to see someone not only have the King Dragon Sword, but also Windy's half of the Gate Rune, and how they would use that sort of power.
Fury

Post by Fury »

Jowy Atreides wrote:Then a mixture would be required of old and new characters. Simply saying you don't want people to come back because it would limit new characters is a little ignorant, considering the cast of 100+ characters (SoD and non-SoD alike) in each and every numbered game.

I for one don't want these specific characters to return, but smaller characters from previous games would be nice if we could learn more about them with every appearance.

For these two specifically, I would like for their runes to return to the series (1.5 True Runes seems pretty important to me), but not the actual people. It would be interesting to see someone not only have the King Dragon Sword, but also Windy's half of the Gate Rune, and how they would use that sort of power.
Yeah, it makes you wonder whether the Sovereign Rune might be as corrupting as the Sun Rune turned out to be. That could center on a great storyline.

I think it would also be cool to have a storyline focusing on the Scarlet Moon's split from Harmonia and Kranach Rugner's initial possession of the Sovereign rune.

That storyline could also include the raiding of the Village of the Blue Moon, the destruction of Windy's village, etc. etc.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

It would be kinda cool, given the fact the sovereign rune protects agianst all magic.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Fury wrote:That storyline could also include the raiding of the Village of the Blue Moon, the destruction of Windy's village, etc. etc.
When was the Village of the Blue Moon raided? I wouldn't really call Neclord stealing the Moon Rune to be a "raid".
nephlabobo

Post by nephlabobo »

Red Killey wrote:
nephlabobo wrote:sigh...........No. He's dead, Jim.
The official information about Barbarossa is that he is "missing". The same goes for Windy. It's stated already on the post above yours. Please consider that before saying that Barbarossa is dead (which is not true). Thank you.
Whatever.

At this point, after this length of time, it would be pointless to bring him back.
Tsharr wrote:It seems to me that there is a reoccuring theme of people wanting to see old villians, heroes, etc show up, even when their story has been told and they had an ending that was suitable for them.

If we keep bringing back people from the past, we can't have new characters that we will come to enjoy.
Thank you.

Well said.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

As Jowy Attreides Said before Suikoden is'nt limited to a strict number of bad guys and good guys, come on 100+, just because barbarossa returned he would'nt have to be a huge character in the game trying to recapture his glory. Han Cunningham was a big player in Suikoden 2 but was only seen until the very end. Im not even saying Barbarossa should be a bad guy, maybe someone is using the power of a true rune to kill the hero personally and barbarossa shows up to save the day and gives the sword then leaves. Its just a shame when characters are'nt completly put to rest. And the way I figure it the only reason KONAMI dont completly kill off characters is so they might make a return. After all Can't Windy teleport with the gate rune! huh, huh
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

not if barbarossa uses his sovereign :P

but yes, this characters will come back one day, its obvious
Sorry for my very bad english! :S
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

I think it would be interesting to see a cameo of Barbarossa, to see if he was living his life out somewhere else, if you approached him with a hero that had no idea who he was.

Not saying I want him to really show up and play a big part in a game like that, but if he's alive, that small cameo would be interesting.
Purr.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Pollensalta wrote:I think it would be interesting to see a cameo of Barbarossa, to see if he was living his life out somewhere else, if you approached him with a hero that had no idea who he was.
Like a Leknaat sort of role. Important and relevant but not really in your face. Maybe Barbarossa could show up pretending to be Some sort of travelling swordsman but you would know its him if you played Suiko 1, like Ted in Suiko 4
Fury

Post by Fury »

Jowy Atreides wrote:
Fury wrote:That storyline could also include the raiding of the Village of the Blue Moon, the destruction of Windy's village, etc. etc.
When was the Village of the Blue Moon raided? I wouldn't really call Neclord stealing the Moon Rune to be a "raid".
Yeah, Jowy, that was me pulling an "oops". Posting at work without my full attention in either place.

More like the fall of the Village of the Blue Moon (which did happen after the rune was taken by Neclord), and the destruction of Windy's village.

Of course, I'll always settle for a translation of Suikogaiden Vol. 1 and Suikogaiden Vol. 2 in English. :wink: