A Modern or Futuristic Suikoden..?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

nephlabobo wrote:Besides, all these people that want a futuristic Suikoden also want connections to old characters .... and you can't have both.
Well technically speaking, old characters can be Leknaat, Jeane, and Viki who all of them have shown up in every Suikoden game regardless of timeline. With some newer characters (Zerase, Eresh, Genoh, etc) able to fall into the same "mysterious" category, it wouldn't be a weird thing to see them in the far future.

Hence, it is possible to have both. Just not to the point of transporting the whole Suikoden I SoDs into the far future.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

nephlabobo wrote:The last futuristic game I can think of that underwent a change is Breath of Fire V. And it was a huge downer compared to BOF IV. It just didn't work.
I agree totally, I absolutely loved breath of fire IV. It had great characters and a decent learning curve and although it was simple it was challenging. Storyline was alright too. Scias, that dog-man(kobold basically) swordsman was by far my favourite character. It had a simple multi-ending thing as well were you can be either your party or the final boss himself. I think the guys who made BOF5 should have made it alot more like BOF4. Nice and Simple.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
nephlabobo

Post by nephlabobo »

Red Killey wrote:
nephlabobo wrote:Besides, all these people that want a futuristic Suikoden also want connections to old characters .... and you can't have both.
Well technically speaking, old characters can be Leknaat, Jeane, and Viki who all of them have shown up in every Suikoden game regardless of timeline.

Yeah - but you expect those. I'm talking about characters like Viktor, Flik, Humphrey etc. The ones I see mentioned over and over again.
Red Killey wrote: With some newer characters (Zerase, Eresh, Genoh, etc) able to fall into the same "mysterious" category, it wouldn't be a weird thing to see them in the far future.

Hence, it is possible to have both. Just not to the point of transporting the whole Suikoden I SoDs into the far future.
The different characters I've seen mentioned, it wouldn't be possible to do it without time travel....which'd be kind of lame.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

nephlabobo wrote:Yeah - but you expect those. I'm talking about characters like Viktor, Flik, Humphrey etc. The ones I see mentioned over and over again.
Actually, I don't think there's anyone mentioning about returning characters at all in this thread other than yourself when you assumed about the people wanting both "futuristic" and "connection to old characters". No one mentioned that at all, but you brought it up. Then I mentioned that certain characters can definitely show up in the future. And somehow you brought up the Viktor, Flik, etc instead.

Who said about wanting both futuristic and connection to old character? You. Who mentioned about Flik, Viktor, etc? You. Seems like you're the one unhappy with the lack of connection to Flik and Viktor.

How do you know that people wouldn't be happy having futuristic Suikoden and returning mysterious characters (Leknaat, Jeane, Viki, Zeraze, etc) instead? You might be unhappy if such thing happened, but please don't try to generalize and say it as if everyone else would automatically share the same opinion as you are. Suikoden V only has a few returning characters, and I'm totally fine with that. I'm playing a Suikoden game anyways, not "The Adventure of Flik and Viktor" game.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Fury

Post by Fury »

See the final battle scene in the movie "The Last Samurai". That's how I'd envision it going down.

The samurai rush the gun toting army and get bulldozed by the Gatling machine guns.

That wasn't even completely modern warfare, either, by today's standards.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll take magic and swords against magic and swords any day.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

I think this is an interesting subject because suikoden is a work in progress, there absolutely no reason that there is'nt a more advanced culture or race out there. If Suikoden ever gets a futuristic revamp then I beleive that will be the basis for it.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

The easiest way to accomplish this idea would be to bring the Sindar back into the limelight. They are known to have been extremely advanced, perhaps not to the extent some would want, but it would certainly fit into the series without raising too many eyebrows. Simply jumping into the future a 1000 years seems a little out-of-place, considering how every game has been set in a medieval time period.

If they were to continue Suikoden III's time line and continuously move forward instead of simply "jumping", it would make much more sense.
Fury

Post by Fury »

Jowy Atreides wrote:The easiest way to accomplish this idea would be to bring the Sindar back into the limelight. They are known to have been extremely advanced, perhaps not to the extent some would want, but it would certainly fit into the series without raising too many eyebrows. Simply jumping into the future a 1000 years seems a little out-of-place, considering how every game has been set in a medieval time period.

If they were to continue Suikoden III's time line and continuously move forward instead of simply "jumping", it would make much more sense.
Funny you mention that, Jowy.

I see the Sindar as being advanced, yes, but only in comparison to the times.

Most of what I see of them shows me that they're similar to some of the ancient civilizations of the world, such as the Aztecs, the Mayans, the Incas, and even the Egyptians. The only additive is the use of the runes.

The one link I see so far is that, at least at one time, the Sindar must have been in possession of the True Runes, a.k.a. they might be the alpha race, the first civilization, if you will.

I agree with your thought of forward progress, but to leap so far into the future would be folly, IMO.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

But is'nt that the beauty of having a secret race?
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

Red Killey wrote: You clearly don't mean it to be like real world. So I'd take it that computers, cars, tanks, astronauts, etc are obviously out of the picture.
i'm not saying it's all out of the picture, that's up to the people making the game, but the modern suikoden will be influenced by the real world in some way no matter how small. what game/work-of-fiction isn't atleast slightly influenced by the world we live?

i still think the rune license would be cool. you have to learn how to drive a car and you have to learn how to use a rune.... okay, maybe comparying it to a car isn't the best analogy though. maybe more like a gun license, as both can be used for good or evil, all depending on the wielder.
nephlabobo

Post by nephlabobo »

Red Killey wrote: Actually, I don't think there's anyone mentioning about returning characters at all in this thread other than yourself when you assumed about the people wanting both "futuristic" and "connection to old characters". No one mentioned that at all, but you brought it up. Then I mentioned that certain characters can definitely show up in the future. And somehow you brought up the Viktor, Flik, etc instead.
Becuase those are names I've seen mentioned several times. Not Leknaat or Viki because everybody assumes they're going to be in the game. I brought it up because it's what I've seen mentioned in other threads.
Red Killey wrote:Who said about wanting both futuristic and connection to old character? You. Who mentioned about Flik, Viktor, etc? You. Seems like you're the one unhappy with the lack of connection to Flik and Viktor.
Again, going by what other people have said. Not what I want.
Red Killey wrote:How do you know that people wouldn't be happy having futuristic Suikoden and returning mysterious characters (Leknaat, Jeane, Viki, Zeraze, etc) instead?
I don't - but those are the characters you keep mentioning - not other people.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

amelia108 wrote: i'm not saying it's all out of the picture, that's up to the people making the game, but the modern suikoden will be influenced by the real world in some way no matter how small. what game/work-of-fiction isn't atleast slightly influenced by the world we live?

i still think the rune license would be cool. you have to learn how to drive a car and you have to learn how to use a rune.... okay, maybe comparying it to a car isn't the best analogy though. maybe more like a gun license, as both can be used for good or evil, all depending on the wielder.
Thats the spirit Amelia, I dont know why people are so afraid to say what they would like to happen in future suikodens.

The Rune license thing could be the basis for a bigger idea, We've seen empires turn evil. Its starts with something small like higher taxes, treating people or races unfairly, then Rune Licenses, The development of advanced weapons, a prelude to conqeuring a peaceful nation, the call to arms. Come on Its has suikoden written allover it. Amelia maybe they should use this basis for a new suikoden.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

nephlabobo wrote: Becuase those are names I've seen mentioned several times. Not Leknaat or Viki because everybody assumes they're going to be in the game. I brought it up because it's what I've seen mentioned in other threads.
I think you're assuming too much. Suikoden III, IV, and V all only have a few returning characters. Yet, people don't complain about it. Heck, some people even love Suikoden III or V the most out of the whole series.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

I agree with Red Killey. Even though I love the return of previous characters, I did'nt enjoy the newer Suikodens any less because there were less of previous characters in it. Its the story and creativity of suikoden that I love and I always look forward to new characters but there are always characters I would like to see the return of, good and bad. Viktor and Flik especially. It would be really sad if they never returned.
Kyril

Post by Kyril »

hmmm a suikoden set in the future? what will it look like then? set in 1500 years after suikoden III and they were using rune-operated mechs?

just my thoughts but i know that this will become a cliche to final fantasy VI(?) if this happens.