A Modern or Futuristic Suikoden..?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
amelia108

A Modern or Futuristic Suikoden..?

Post by amelia108 »

Just a thought. Perhaps a group of 108 rebels are out to take on a corrupt oligarchy/dictatorship? It sounds like a cool idea to me, although I don't see it ever happening, seeing how so many fans are bent on all the entries being so closely connected. I'm not even sure I like the idea myself... but a thought. That's all.
bench2hotty

Post by bench2hotty »

It does sound interesting but people there won't need to use true runes because they have weapons of mass destruction and guns. And that would miss the entire purpose of the game for me.
I look better in black armor and you know it!
Tsharr

Post by Tsharr »

If you're looking for modern or futuristic Suikoden, simply look to Final Fantasy.
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

figures someone would say that, but final fantasy doesn't have 108 characters to collect... among other things i prefer in suikoden games. but think, it's still a fantasy world, so the weapons of mass destruction could be runes. luc seemed to know the whole deal.

i don't know why i'm defending this... lol.
nephlabobo

Post by nephlabobo »

NO.

Just no.

Stick to the world they're in.

If I want a real world RPG I'll play Persona or Shin Megami Tensei
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

I thought the whole purpose of the 108 was to get the feel of fate into the game. And that everybody even the small guys are needed in the big picture. I dont expect the fans would like it if Suikoden just jumped years into the future but I dont see why there could'nt be a revolution in arms technology. We've seen it with rune cannons, why not rune guns or tanks?

I think this is an interesting idea Amelia. But I dont see why you would need to get rid of the 108 stars though.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
nephlabobo

Post by nephlabobo »

Sniper_Zegai wrote:I dont expect the fans would like it if Suikoden just jumped years into the future but I dont see why there could'nt be a revolution in arms technology. We've seen it with rune cannons, why not rune guns or tanks?
Because it flies in the face of everything we've seen in the past five games. The only way they *could* do it would be to jump years into the future. Not something I want to see.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

nephlabobo wrote:Because it flies in the face of everything we've seen in the past five games. The only way they *could* do it would be to jump years into the future. Not something I want to see.
Historically there have been many leaps into the future technology wise. Look at Samurai for example even though they did'nt invent gunpowder or its use in making guns they had to qiuckly adapt to changes in the world. Besides Rune Cannons were developed in Suiko 4 the earliest Suikoden. By the time Suiko3 ends plenty of years have past. Maybe that could be the basis for a new suikoden. A technologically advanced people suddenly coming out of the wood work to conqeur all with this new feature.

Man do I babble on. Anyway I get your point If tanks were suddenly roaming the streets of suikoden I thikn everyone would be a little confused.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
nephlabobo

Post by nephlabobo »

And the Rune Cannon technology is gone. Lost.

I suppose it could be found....but I don't want it to be.

And tanks are a huge difference from flintlock style pistols (ala FF12).

A pistol/musket style weapon I could handle.

Vehicles? Too far fetched.
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

some of you are missing the point... i didn't say real world, i said futuristic or modern. that means taking all the mythos of suikoden and moving it forward a few 1000 years, add technology and there you go.

and i didn't once say take out the 108 stars... wow. i was right, the typical suikoden fanbase can't handle even the thought of it. i'll admit, the suikoden series is one of those series that simply gets worse with change... but i'd still like to see this. maybe when they complete the series and tie up all loose ends this might be possible. or some kind of spin-off.. which is even less likely.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

amelia108 wrote:some of you are missing the point... i didn't say real world, i said futuristic or modern. that means taking all the mythos of suikoden and moving it forward a few 1000 years, add technology and there you go.
Please define the modern world of Suikoden world. Because I really can't imagine what it'd look like without comparing it to what we have in the real world.

Because if it's a simple "time jump to the future", then I don't think it's a big deal. But if the modern world is like tanks and spaceship, then it'd feel really like a totally different game. Can still be good obviously, but I'm more of a "medieval RPG" kind of guy.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

i don't create the games, so me going into detail on what the suikoden world will be like in 1000s of years would all be speculation and/or preference, no matter how well-versed i am in the workings of the suikoden universe...

just take all the principles/laws/mythos from previous games and put them into the future and see the kind of problems that would arise from them. i think that would make an interesting game.

if you do want me to go into some kind of detail: maybe runes could become something that you need to be a certain age and have to have a license to weild. making it almost like the responsibility of driving a car... etc, etc, etc. tiny little things like this really get me thinking how cool it might be.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

I'm not trying to be picky here, but it's not easy to just make up something in our minds about what the modern Suikoden world would be like. And if someone thinks it sucks because of their imagination, then how can we even discuss if their imagination is different than what I imagine? That's why I'd prefer for you (since this is your idea to begin with) to give us some sort of basis on what we can imagine.

You clearly don't mean it to be like real world. So I'd take it that computers, cars, tanks, astronauts, etc are obviously out of the picture.

The idea of needing license to use a rune is quite weird to me as there is no real reason for such thing. If we were to compare it to driving license, then there is a reason for age-limit of driving license. We need to ensure that those who drive are mature enough to drive properly. However, rune is a part of Suikoden world, and since it's directly related to our own body, it won't really need age-restriction. Kids would tend to have less power, and therefore not able to properly use the rune to cause damage. Plus, there are schools like in Greenhill that teaches about rune usage. If we need some sort of driving-license to use rune, then obviously it'll change a lot of things if the minimum age is old enough (say 15 years old), or it won't change anything if the minimum age is young enough (say 8 years old).

And to me, that's what make it difficult to simply imagine what a modern Suikoden world like. We have different culture between Suikoden world and the current real world that prevents us to really imagine what kind of changes would happen in the future in Suikoden world. I hope you understand my point.

In general, I think a modern Suikoden world could definitely be a good thing, but in the end, it'd still depend largely on what the modern world is like.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Hi Red Killey and Amelia. Ive been reading your posts and I gotta say Im starting to get pretty interested in the thought of a futuristic suikoden.

To Amelia. I think a suikoden spin-off is'nt such a horrible idea. In fact I would'nt mind at all. But I think the problem with going thousands of years into the future is that all the previous suikoden characters without true runes would be dead. Im a fan of two different RPG's, and they are Final Fantasy and Suikoden. I prefer Suikoden because they are all connected, I look forward to each sequel because I wanna know whats gonna happen next in the suikoden world and see who's in it.

To Red Killey. I like the idea of revamping the suikoden world but ultimatly I have to agree with you. Any change to the Suikoden world will be met with resistance and even though the idea of a slick, stylish, modern suikoden is an interesting and exciting idea. If it came to fruition Im not sure if I would be all for it. Especially if the changes were'nt to ground-breaking.

I dont know what its called but is'nt there a thread out there that alows you to post your own ideas on what you would like to happen in the suikoden world in particular detail. One of those fan-fiction type things.
nephlabobo

Post by nephlabobo »

FF 12 handled pistols well. Nothing too exotic, your basic flintlock type pistol - and it didn't seem out of place.

The last futuristic game I can think of that underwent a change is Breath of Fire V. And it was a huge downer compared to BOF IV. It just didn't work.

Besides, all these people that want a futuristic Suikoden also want connections to old characters .... and you can't have both.

Which is it going to be?