Custom Hero: What do you thihnk?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Sniper_Zegai

Custom Hero: What do you thihnk?

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

I was thinking why dont they make it so you can choose the appearence or even the gender of the hero and the weapon they use.

Maybe go as far as having the two seperate armies and you can actually choose which side you go for.

Whats your opinion? Custom Castle, Army Uniforms, Even alternate uniforms for recruitable characters?
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
LadyRhia

Post by LadyRhia »

I wouldn't mind things like picking between a male and a female protagonist (which would probably affect certain things in the plot) but I think there should be a limit in customization simply because this isn't something like Oblivion. To pick the appearance of your hero I think would only really work if it were a silent protagonist. The problem is, even with picking a different appearance it means more work for Konami to program all the possibilities in for cutscenes and endings, and facial arts.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Is it really that desirable to have such customisations?

Even with the traditional no-default-name system for all the games' heroes so far, players insist on searching for and imposing certain the closest possible "official" names on them. This extends to army and headquarters' names too.

There is also the complication with maintaining canon throughout the series. So far, it has been pretty constant with Konami using the best endings as the canonical conclusion to the games. i.e. survival of Gremio and Lazlo's being alive to participate in the fall of Kooluk.

However, aesthetics should be perfectly easy enough while not complicating canon. Like changing appearances at will, similar to Snowe's wardrobe in IV. Even choosing weapons should be fine, as long as it doesn't conflict with background story of the said main character.

Still, I'd like to see Konami to first work on those long loading times first, before adding more fancy stuff to their graphics.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Hmmm interesting. I really thought people would dissaprove of all the other custom ideas and approve of hero customisation. Ok then what about Custom Castle? Every time a new level for your castle came around you could chose where the extra additions went. Or maybe a recriutable builder character that could add minor decorations and stuff throughout the castle.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

No way would I want to choose the gender, because that would alter storyline and peoples' reactions to the character greatly. I don't want that kind of variance.
Purr.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

I suppose but the difference would'nt be that different you could just have slightly different scenes and people would address you slightly different. I dont really think gender would be that much of an issue.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

In the case of Suikoden V, it definitely would have made a serious difference. It wouldn't have been merely a minor adjustment if the Prince was a girl, that's for sure.

Similarly, entry to Gordius Village would have been impossible, and the East Kingdom would no longer be available. Etc.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Oh okay then party pooper. But in the others it would'nt have been that bad.

:P
LadyRhia

Post by LadyRhia »

Pollensalta wrote:No way would I want to choose the gender, because that would alter storyline and peoples' reactions to the character greatly. I don't want that kind of variance.
Hey, I'd enjoy it. It means more replay value and it would be pretty cool to have things unque for each story based on whether you picked a guy or girl.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

I thought having a choice between the two opposing armies would be cool either join the righteous forces of good or try and change an evil empire into a beacon of hope. come on people there must be something there.
bench2hotty

Post by bench2hotty »

Mybe they could do another trinity system and lets you choose sides whether you ply for the bad or the good side.
I look better in black armor and you know it!
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

I did'nt enjoy the trinity system all that much. I prefer to just concentrate on one character but I dont see why it would'nt work.
nephlabobo

Post by nephlabobo »

bench2hotty wrote:Mybe they could do another trinity system and lets you choose sides whether you ply for the bad or the good side.
That's not a bad idea. I loved the trinity sight system.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

nephlabobo wrote:
bench2hotty wrote:Mybe they could do another trinity system and lets you choose sides whether you ply for the bad or the good side.
That's not a bad idea. I loved the trinity sight system.
I did too - I'm definitely not one of those people who goes on and on about how much Suikoden 3 sucked because I really liked it.

The only thing is that if you played as a good or a bad character, would the ending still be the same? If you played as the bad character, would you lose? I just like for things to be definitive. In future games, I want there to be able to be references in future games to it. I guess I'm just not a big fan of totally jacking up the storyline.
Purr.
nephlabobo

Post by nephlabobo »

Pollensalta wrote: I just like for things to be definitive. In future games, I want there to be able to be references in future games to it. I guess I'm just not a big fan of totally jacking up the storyline.
How do you mean? Technically, you already have played as a bad guy - in Suikoden III if you get all 108 stars.

And Suikoden III didn't suck!