Suikoden IV reannounced! (or it's VI :P)

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Rune of Illusion

Post by Rune of Illusion »

Sami, sound as if you would explode if the game came out on PS3 :D Just joking

On topic you are right however, they did bring those Card Story games out on GBA. Still the main games may stick to PS3. Don't get me wrong, I don't really care what system it came out on because someday I will have them all. Since the PS3 is the most powerful system out at this time and Konami being a veteran developing company they could take advantage of that powerful unlike some of the companies now who are just pushing out new games just to give us a reason to buy the system. Although I don't have an official article with them saying that the series will be a PS exclusive, it does seem that way. To say that they are going to jump systems now after almost 10 years on one system is jumping the gun don't you think. Also Konami have already ported Suikoden 1 and 2 to the PSP so the main games may stay PS exclusive, whereas side games may branch out because that is all that Card Stories on GBA proves.
you can learn more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
Hylan

Post by Hylan »

As Suikoden is my favorite RPG series, I REALLY REALLY hope that VI is not for PS3. With what I've seen of system sales (and I work at a GameStop and my cousin at WalMart), I think the PS3 is gonna crash and burn. In one of our shipments, we got 7 PS3s and 12 Wiis on the same day. The Wiis were sold within about a half hour. The 7 PS3s? Took almost a week. LOL. My cousin says that WalMart (at least his store) is very similar. I think that Konami would be stupid to release Suik VI for PS3.

Why?

The hardcore fans of Suikoden will buy the game for whatever system it is on. That's true, and I count myself among that number. However, the ONLY title I'm even marginally interested in is MGS4 (which with how the sales of systems have been so far will probably go to the 360 as well). I myself would be pissed at having to buy a PS3 just for Suikoden VI (and I've had long conversations with several of my customers that feel the same way). I'd do it. However if I bought the PS3 FOR Suikoden VI and it turned out to be crummy like IV, I'd be so pissed it would tempt me to abandon the series (again I know about 30 people locally that feel the same way). All that being said, my point is that for the series to continue, Suikoden needs to attract NEW fans. The sales of the series aren't really good enough to justify millions in development just for the hardcore user base. True people will buy the PS3, but if trends keep up they way they have been, the Wii sells over twice what PS3 does. The PS3 is just too *censored* expensive for the mainstream gamer to afford it. What's easier buying a $250 consol or a $600 consol? Many children can talk there parents into buing a $250 system. I've seen firsthand children crying because their parents were all "There is no way in *censored* hell that I'm spending $600 on a machine for you to play video games." I think that Konami is smart enough to realize that for a Graphical powerhouse like MGS4, people EXPECT gorgeous eye candy, so it HAS to be on PS3 or 360. With a series like Suikoden, where it is about story and gameplay - rather than "ooooh pretty go boom"- it makes sense to put the game on a Wii as more American AND Japanese players will have the Wii in their living rooms. Think about this. Why was Suikoden I and II on PSX? Everyone had one. N64 sales never compared to PSX (well at least not past initial release). Sega Saturn was a FAILURE in the US. Konami knew that PSX was the safest bet, so we see the series there. Why were Suikoden III-V on the PS2? Again, same reason. Gamecube did well in Japan, but it was never really more than a niche in the US. Dreamcast started strong, but the 3rd parties abandoned it and it died a slow horrible death. Everyone had a PS2, so Konami went there.

In my opinion, largely based on how I've seen sales go so far; Sony shot itself in the foot with the PS3s price tag. Yeah, some people will buy it just to have it, or there are fanboys, or other reasons. But the MAJORITY of the market can't afford it. Do you guys really think that Konami will release a game series that is niche on a system maybe half the market and a huge chunk of their ESTABLISHED fanbase CAN'T AFFORD? If they do, I'd say Konami has lost their brains. Then again video game companies do insane things frequently. Take Sega for example. For years their fans have begged for a traditional Pantasy Star or a new srategy based Shining Force, yet are continually ignored. I think Konami is smarter than than, but we shall see.

BTW, as I said I am a HUGE Suikoden fan. I play and beat every RPG (at least the ones realeased in the US), but Suikoden is bar non my favorite. Heck I still have IV although I can't stand it personally. Just can't bring myself to get rid of part of the series.

*note* the *censored* were me censoring myself, not an admin :).
Persmerga

Post by Persmerga »

Lol self censoring eh.

I think you have a point with the fact that Konami knew why to release games on certain consoles because everybody has one i thinkk that is more or less true but i just at the moment can't imagine Suikoden away from Sony but yeah i think Sony have really shot themselves in the foot but like most die hard Suikoden fans i could see myself buying a PS3 is SVI is released on it lol.

Oh and if you were wondering Suikoden I was released for the Sega Saturn in Japan.
Some hooligan keeps disconnecting the alarm. I told Security to look into it. But no, no, they'd rather catch the guy who's stealing organs from the transplant ward!!
Hylan

Post by Hylan »

Persmerga wrote:
Oh and if you were wondering Suikoden I was released for the Sega Saturn in Japan.
I knew that :). If I remember correctly, Konami made the decision to release it on PSX (after I) rather than Saturn because it was faster to bring it oversees if they didn't have to change the system it was programmed for. Saturn did pretty well in Japan, but other than a few titles it bombed in the US :)>,

And as I said I'll buy a PS3 if I HAVE to for Suikoden VI, but it better be so good that II sucks in comparison for $600. Doubt that will happen so I hope to god it doesn't go to PS3.
Persmerga

Post by Persmerga »

Yes you are right, Saturn crashed and burned here in the UK and bringing Suikoden to the PSX was a very good move by Konami.

I personally am hoping that by the time Suikoden VI is ready to be released on PS3 (If a PS3 released) the PS3 will have gone slightly down in price, i am assuming that because very little information is known about VI i reckon it will be around end of 2008 before release (UK) so slight chance of PS3 price reduction.
Some hooligan keeps disconnecting the alarm. I told Security to look into it. But no, no, they'd rather catch the guy who's stealing organs from the transplant ward!!
Mika

Post by Mika »

We can assume that developping a new Suikoden will at least takes a year, maybe 2 if they want it to be as good as the last one.

Considering that both Nintendo and Sony have claimed that an exclusive RPG is in development, many think that it is Fire Emblem for Nintendo and Suikoden for Sony. But no one knows at this point.

On the other part, it has been confirmed that on the next months the retail price of the PS3 should be lowered. I suppose following the same logic that with the PS2.

So, there is a great probability that Suikoden 6 will be on PS3 and that at this time the PS3 will be less expensive.

Personaly, i was never attracted by nintendo products which seem more childish. So i do not plan to buy a wii. But, who knows, it is way too soon and like many people i will buy the product with the games that best suit my taste.

My 2cp
In preparation ...
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Hylan wrote:
Persmerga wrote:
I knew that :). If I remember correctly, Konami made the decision to release it on PSX (after I) rather than Saturn because it was faster to bring it oversees if they didn't have to change the system it was programmed for. Saturn did pretty well in Japan, but other than a few titles it bombed in the US :)>,
In Japan, Suikoden was first released on PSX, then later ported with further enhancements to Sega Saturn.
Persmerga

Post by Persmerga »

I know i didn't say it was originally released on Sega Saturn i was just stating the fact that there was a sega Saturn version lol
Night

Post by Night »

Mika wrote:Considering that both Nintendo and Sony have claimed that an exclusive RPG is in development, many think that it is Fire Emblem for Nintendo and Suikoden for Sony. But no one knows at this point.
I don't know, that seems doubtful. Given what a niche game Suikoden is, it would surprise me if that would be Sony's big exclusive RPG.
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
Persmerga

Post by Persmerga »

That was my first thought but over the last couple of years i have noticed Suikoden gaining more popularity and there might be a possibility that Suikoden is there exclusive RPG but we'll still have o wait to find out lol.
Kidd The Investigator

Have you guys been paying attention at all....

Post by Kidd The Investigator »

Sony already has 2 exclusive RPGs: Untold Legends - Dark Kingdom and Final Fantasy XIII(atleast the main game). Not to mention a release of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. So regardless of your hope Suikoden VI will not be the 'hit' or main RPG for the PS3 it won't. The 360 has been a breeding ground for RPGs as of late(Enchanted Arms, Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Lost Oddessy, Phantasy Star Universe and even FFXI) so it wouldn't suprise me if it was release on the system. Konami is a relativly smart company and wouldn't want to alienate players by making them buy a 600 dollar system for a niche RPG(great though it may be). The only way I can see Konami sticking with Sony is if it is required via a contract(which they may be stuck in) or if Sony threatened a limited release of MGS4.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Its been explained why a 360 release for Suikoden is not exactly likely. All the evidence you should need is on this page:

http://www.the-magicbox.com/topten.htm

The PS2 *still* outsells the 360 in Japan, and even given the 360's large chronological head start, the PS3 has already sold twice as many units as the 360 has.

And yes, Konami makes all Suikoden-related decisions based on the Japanese market, where the vast majority of its fanbase is. Like it or not, all of us not in Japan are afterthoughts when it comes to any decision regarding Suikoden.
Rai-Jin

Re: Suikoden IV reannounced! (or it's VI :P)

Post by Rai-Jin »

already began, the game may have references to a previous Suikoden game

Makes me wanna think about this:....

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ght=#88791

i really wonder
bla
KoyuRedd

Re: Suikoden IV reannounced! (or it's VI :P)

Post by KoyuRedd »

Rai-Jin wrote:
already began, the game may have references to a previous Suikoden game

Makes me wanna think about this:....

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ght=#88791

i really wonder
Only time (and Konami) will tell if he's right.
KoRnholio wrote:And yes, Konami makes all Suikoden-related decisions based on the Japanese market, where the vast majority of its fanbase is. Like it or not, all of us not in Japan are afterthoughts when it comes to any decision regarding Suikoden.
Since that's the case, I'm feeling quite sure that it's going to be the PS3.

*crosses fingers*
[evil laugh here]
mpieco

Post by mpieco »

by the time suikoden 6 comes out, ps3 will NOT be any cheaper. stop saying that. and regardless, it won't suddenly drop 400 dollars in price, so the Wii is still a smarter option.