Suikoden IV reannounced! (or it's VI :P)

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
mpieco

Post by mpieco »

killey wrote:Personally I hope it's on the PS3, partly for the superior graphics but mainly because I won't be buying a Wii and if it did come out on the Wii it'd be the only game I'd want for the console. Selfish I know but meh...

sorry for double post, but dude, what about super smash bros: brawl and the new zelda game. :(
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the Wii is definitely not suitable for turn-base RPGs unless maybe you turn the controller into a laser-pointer-mouse and have access to commands all around the screen or something..... i am going to guess konami's rpg for the Wii will be one of those Zelda-ish types with first person action.. i suppose a Gaiden could be possible that involves fun (or silly!) mini-games for your arms.....
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

You do know that the Wii also uses regular controls and that it is entirely possible to make a game for it without incorporating the Wiimote?
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:You do know that the Wii also uses regular controls and that it is entirely possible to make a game for it without incorporating the Wiimote?
Super Smash Bros Brawl for example.

And you can also use 'Cube controllers with it. Glory and win.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

I think anybody who is a true gamer at heart is focused on the Wii, and for the most part, that's where a lot of suikodens fanbase is coming from, hardcore non-mainstream gamers, the type of folks who like innovative games and ideas, and don't succumb to a game simply because it says 'final fantasy' in the title. I wouldn't be surprised if it went to the Wii aswell or exclusively, but then again, it might be on the PS3. It's all dependant on how many people own a PS3 when they plan on releasing it, I have a gut feeling there will be more PS3 owners than Wii, but only because they're going towards people who are more focused on playing the next madden game and not an RPG like Suikoden.
- Kirkis
Sami

Post by Sami »

Jowy Atreides wrote:A sudden change to a non-Sony console would alienate fans, and most probably wouldn't buy an entirely new console for one game.
People still will have to buy a new console, whether it's on PS3 or Wii. I know I'm getting a Wii in any case, Suikoden or no Suikoden, but I would like to have Suikoden on the console I'm sure to be buying. PlayStation 3 would need a lot more of interesting games for me to start considering it.

Also, Wii will have larger Japanese userbase than PS3, especially in the beginning. Sales of the Suikoden series have been declining (IV sold less than III, V sold less than IV), so this would be a good opportunity for Konami to try to find a new audience for Suikoden. As for the existing Suikoden fans, most of them would follow Suikoden to Wii, so Konami don't need to worry about them. After all, the same thing happened with PS2. Many people bought a PS2 to play Suikoden. But with PS3's price, it isn't that certain anymore, and Konami could lose fans as well as risk a smaller userbase if they release Suikoden VI on PS3.
KFCrispy wrote:the Wii is definitely not suitable for turn-base RPGs unless maybe you turn the controller into a laser-pointer-mouse and have access to commands all around the screen or something.....
Indeed. Yasumi Matsuno of FF Tactics, Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy XII fame has said that "Wii is perfect for RPGs", and several RPGs are already being made for the system. We will just have to see how Wii RPGs turn out, and whether or not Suikoden VI will be among them.
Last edited by Sami on Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

It'll be really cool to issue commands via remote or via a clickable menu. I can only imagine Fire Emblem Wii, it's going to be a very awesome feel, instead of dashing my cursor around everywhere on the tactics grid, I just point and click and my guy walks there, if there's an enemy nearby maybe a little menu/grid comes up and I point/click on the action I want to take.
- Kirkis
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Well, PS3 does have an "Unnamed RPG" listed under Konami, and that sounds like Suikoden for me.
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Vector Xthonic wrote:Well, PS3 does have an "Unnamed RPG" listed under Konami, and that sounds like Suikoden for me.
Don't Konami own Ys?
Razakin

Post by Razakin »

Feldoon wrote:
Vector Xthonic wrote:Well, PS3 does have an "Unnamed RPG" listed under Konami, and that sounds like Suikoden for me.
Don't Konami own Ys?
Nope. Falcom own's Ys-series. Konami / Hudson just ported Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim and Ys: The Oath of Felgana to PS2.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

On another note, Hudson also has an "Unnamed RPG" listed for PS3. Of course, this can be a sequel to their most famous RPG franchise, Tengai Makyo: Far East of Eden, but I somehow doubt it (the last one bombed). Maybe it's a joint developed RPg just like how Suikoden V was done by both Konami and Hudson.
Sami

Post by Sami »

That could be it, too. But there's also a third option - both the Wii "Untitled RPG" and the PS3 "Untitled RPG" could be Suikoden VI. For the first time since the first Suikoden, Konami could be considering making Suikoden a multi-platform game and series. After all, in this coming generation, it looks like the gamer userbase will be heavily segmented. Also, this coming generation has been called the "generation of multiplatform games", much more so than any previous console generation. So, the PS3 version of Suikoden VI could offer more polished, high-definition graphics for HD televisions and maybe some extras like animated cutscenes, while the Wii version of Suikoden VI could offer its unique controlling method and a graphics engine optimized for standard definition televisions.

There is also the chance that Konami could be working on two different Suikoden games, one for Wii and one for PS3. Some companies have taken an approach like that to the coming generation, for example Capcom: PS3 and Xbox 360 get Resident Evil 5, Wii gets Umbrella Chronicles, and Sega: PS3 and Xbox 360 get Sonic the Hedgehog and Wii gets Sonic and the Secret of the Rings.

The unfortunate thing is that whatever these untitled games are, they must be very early in development since Konami doesn't want to confirm their titles yet. I'm hoping that we'll hear more of them in January 2007 at Konami Gamers' Day.
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Sami wrote:The unfortunate thing is that whatever these untitled games are, they must be very early in development since Konami doesn't want to confirm their titles yet. I'm hoping that we'll hear more of them in January 2007 at Konami Gamers' Day.
Why not at TGS? I thought that was in December/January.

Also, thanks for the Ys conformation.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Tokyo Game Show is in the fall, so...it already happened. Therewas nothing about Suikoden there.

I hope Sami's speculation about multi-platform Suikoden VI is true....that would save me immense amounts of money :)
Persmerga

Post by Persmerga »

In my opinion Wii would suit more 1st person rpg's without a doubt because of the association between Nintendo and Zelda games that is what i think many people will certainly identify Wii with.

There is a strong possibility that PS3 is gonna price themselves out of the market with the sheer price of the console but never the less im sure true Suikoden fans will still follow.

Konami has to look at ways to introduce new people into the series but im not sure if going multi-console is the right idea because it's soemthing that they've not needed to do but they have to create new found interest in the series & a good lauch campaign with either console should be considered.
Some hooligan keeps disconnecting the alarm. I told Security to look into it. But no, no, they'd rather catch the guy who's stealing organs from the transplant ward!!