Suikoden IV reannounced! (or it's VI :P)

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

u know when suikoden VI will be released?

u know the price that ps3 will have by that time?

there is 0 info about suikoden VI, maybe when we know a little more, we can think when the game will come out and what prices will ps3 have, etc
Sorry for my very bad english! :S
Hylan

Post by Hylan »

mpieco wrote:by the time suikoden 6 comes out, ps3 will NOT be any cheaper. stop saying that. and regardless, it won't suddenly drop 400 dollars in price, so the Wii is still a smarter option.
Agreed. Sony Shot itself in the foot by going with technology that was unnecessary... They are taking such a massive loss on each system, they really can't afford to lower it much. In another year or two, it might have a $100 price drop, but with the way developers are starting to migrate to the other systems, it may be too little too late.

PS1 was a good system. PS2 was a cheap piece of crap that the only reason I own one was because of the games. Without a really amazing lineup, I see no point to spending $600 on just a system (with no game). Maybe that's just me, but hey.
mpieco

Post by mpieco »

27x4=108 wrote:you know when suikoden VI will be released?

you know the price that ps3 will have by that time?

there is 0 info about suikoden VI, maybe when we know a little more, we can think when the game will come out and what prices will ps3 have, etc
it doesn't matter. suikoden VI could come out in 3 years, and the price will drop no more than 100 dollars.

first off, they are losing money as it is. second, the ps2 brand new is 150, 3-4ish years after its debut, when it first started off at 300. they could drop it in half there, since it was cheaply made and was selling real well, so they benefited from it.

secondly, let's say it DOES drop in half, which of course it won't. that's still 300 dollars(they'll never drop below 450). Then you have to take into account that the Wii's price would, of course, drop. So, no matter what, the Wii is more affordable, and will be the most popular of this generation of consoles (sorry, microsoft).
Hylan

Post by Hylan »

mpieco wrote:
27x4=108 wrote:you know when suikoden VI will be released?

you know the price that ps3 will have by that time?

it doesn't matter. suikoden VI could come out in 3 years, and the price will drop no more than 100 dollars.

first off, they are losing money as it is. second, the ps2 brand new is 150, 3-4ish years after its debut, when it first started off at 300. they could drop it in half there, since it was cheaply made and was selling real well, so they benefited from it.

secondly, let's say it DOES drop in half, which of course it won't. that's still 300 dollars(they'll never drop below 450). Then you have to take into account that the Wii's price would, of course, drop. So, no matter what, the Wii is more affordable, and will be the most popular of this generation of consoles (sorry, microsoft).
Not to mention what I did at the end of last week. I brought my cousin's ps3, my xbox360 and my wii to work. I work at a call center that employs 300+ people. Good sample population. I made sure that for 360 and ps3 I only brought games my cousin and I both had to be unbiased. I hooked both systems up on big screen tvs we have in our break room. I brought my HDTV and hooked up the wii to that. Here's what happened. The PS3 was almost unplayed. The 360 was flocked to by about 10 people (who are kinda graphic *censored*). The other 50 or so people who were there were taking turns playing Bowling on my Wii. My other Wii games went untouched, they were having that much fun with Wii Sports that is INCLUDED for FREE.

After they left I had them fill out a survey that had 3 check boxes (for each system) on which one you'd like/were going to buy and notes next to each choice.

Not ONE of the surveys had PS3 checked. Most of the notes next to PS3 said "expensive paperweight", "cut the price in half and I'll think about it" ,and similar things.

Of the 63 surveys I collected, 42 Selected Wii only, 8 selected 360 only, and 13 selected Wii and 360.

NOT ONE SELECTED PS3. To me, that says something. And these weren't just my friends, or the people who think like I do; these were random people I work with. All with different ages, backgrounds, etc.

I'll do this again in a couple months and let you guys know if anything changes. I get the feeling that this trend is not just where I live (and PS3 vs Wii and 360 sales #s I've read agree). The PS3 is doing OK in Japan but in the states nobody wants it. I don't see how releasing a niche series on a consol so few own as anything but stupidity. I guess time will show though.

And, I didn't list games because the PS3 and 360 games I had in common were just racing and football games, nothing really substantial or stand out for either system, just to compare the two. I did have Gears of War for the 360 to compare with Resistance : Fall of Man, but honestly the folks got so wrapped up in the Wii, it never really came up.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

I'm not saying that the next Suikoden won't necessarily come out on the Wii. Its possible. The Wii is extremely popular in Japan, too. You Wii-fans are all ignoring some very important issues, though:

1. US considerations mean nothing. Konami would sooner drop the US market entirely (in regards to a Suikoden release) than switch consoles based on the US. I currently can't find any US videogame sales numbers that mention Suikoden, but Suikoden repeatedly hits the top 50, since Suikoden III (III: #25, IV: #36, V: not known yet). I checked all the top 100 lists for the US, and couldn't find Suikoden anywhere.

2. WIth regards to the price. The 360 is being sold at a loss, as well, and they're being forced to lower their price to compete.

Manufacturing costs come down a lot over time, in the world of electronics. Sony's plan for the PS3 is long-term, longer than any console release yet. Do you seriously think their manufacturing costs will be the same in two years? They've already announced cuts. You can say that manufacturing cost cuts might not necessarily mean price cuts, but they'll have to if they want it to succeed. They have too much riding on it being successful (over 5-10 years) to let it die because of stubbornness over the price. They'll take as much of a hardware hit as they need to move the software.

Half of its current price in a couple years is not going to happen, but $400-$500 is feasible. Still, even without the price cuts, and with a lackluster launch (in terms of quality of games released) its doing well in Japan, because....

3. The PS3 and Wii are aimed at completely separate markets. Nintendo was smart enough to try and open up a new market for videogames, rather than try and make Microsoft's mistake of trying to be a quasi-PS3. Wii and PS3 success are not mutually exclusive in the way that PS3 and 360 success are. And most importantly, many of Wii's new fans wouldn't have any interest in Suikoden anyway). Hylan: How many people in your study were RPG fans, by the way? Did you ask that question? How do you expect to draw conclusions for an obscure RPG based racing and football games, which are about as far away from RPGs as you can get?

The Wii is aimed at mass consumption (and will probably always sell more units than the PS3), but that doesn't make it the obvious better choice for a particular game release. By your logic, they should just release all their games for the DS, because it spanks all other consoles out there in units sold.

None of these points mean that Konami won't release Suikoden VI on Wii. I'm not even saying its much less possible (either exclusive or a dual-release) than a PS3-exclusive release. Many PS3 owners are going to have a Wii too, just because its so cheap. Its just that most arguments for the Wii I hear on message boards are painfully narrow-minded and don't understand that there are a lot more important factors here than a random segment of people in the US who aren't even likely to be gamers. Yeah, I fully expect my mom or dad to have much more fun on the Wii than the PS3, but does Konami's Suikoden team take them into account? No, they don't.
Veritas

Post by Veritas »

you know korn, that is one of the few well thought out posts i've seen in a while. some other forums i goto is stocked up with system fanboys that can only say ps3 pwns WII ROFL!

you made good some very good points in that post
War solves everything, No man, no problem
~ Joseph Stalin