New way to travel

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Emperor

New way to travel

Post by Emperor »

In the past series, you can travel the world map by either walking or sailing. Or just by teleportng to places.
In suikoden 1, you get to ride a dragon in the world map BUT you cant control the directions. Wouldn't it be nice that you can fly on something and move it freely around the world map?

Last edited by Emperor on Sun May 28, 2006 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

What would be the point if Viki teleports you everywhere in a flash?

And it also wouldn't make sense because the Suikoden map is never a "world map" like in every other RPG. It's just that map of one country, so if you flew all the way to edge, it would have to limit you for going any further.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I don't see why not. As long as the actual mode of transport isn't as outlandish as airships.

But they probably need to come up with a more user-friendly way of limiting players from venturing outside the airspace of the game's settings. Those invisible bouncing walls in S4 were easily the most annoying part of sailing.
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

This is an interesting concept with different forms of flying mounts around such as Griffins, Dragons and Mantors.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
SinaiBeach

Post by SinaiBeach »

That would sure change up the pace of the game if you had a little mini game of flying to using something other than a boat.
And Let Us Not Lose Compassion....For Those Who Have Yet To Be Pardoned....
Darian

Post by Darian »

I agree that it just doesn't make sense, what with Viki and all.
deedlitmurata

Post by deedlitmurata »

I think with Viki's teleport skill is enough.. at least it makes Suikoden being different from other games.. not going around the world map riding strange vehicles or using airships.. ~.~
Man is powerful enough to change destiny. No matter how futile our struggles seem, they all make a difference!
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

deedlitmurata wrote:I think with Viki's teleport skill is enough.. at least it makes Suikoden being different from other games.. not going around the world map riding strange vehicles or using airships.. ~.~
Well I wouldn't mind riding Gull Horses or the like before recruiting Viki. It does take long before you get Viki. S5 probably had the record for it.
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

That's true, but I would probably count that as a good thing due to the over reliance on Viki to instaport you anywhere, and means exploration of the world map is done to its full capacity, I haven't played the game yet so I can't comment on whether this is true, but if I was to make a world map and then people always choose to instaport, I'd be annoyed, that's one of the good points of Suikoden 4, the fact at certain plot events you weren't allowed to instaport added an element of travel and adventure accross the high seas.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

If Viki's instaport was enough, then we wouldn't hear that much complaint about Suikoden III's map system.

I think the key reason behind actual travel on the world map is exploration. That's not something that Viki can provide. She can only teleport you to places that you have visited in the past. And, given the marked downgrade of her teleporting abilities in S5 (no teleports to dungeons, and Blinking Mirror no longer works from anywhere), I find her alone to be insufficient in that game.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

I think that it would be interesting to have a creature that can fly, such as a dragon or griffin, be your transportation. It would make sense if the next game was set in a moutainous region.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Emperor

Post by Emperor »

Yep that wuld be nice. Not to mention that in the other suikodens, you even get to ride a boat. Suikoden1 uses a steam boat, Suikoden4 uses a big ship, why not ride on a kraken? "The return of Chuchara!!!"

I like my new Hugo action figure!

Post by Ushiku »

That would be very interesting. Perhaps they could use mounts on land and see, that would be a great way to travel, and air travel if they made intercontinental travel in Suikoden.
SinaiBeach

Post by SinaiBeach »

Or if they made a more modern suikoden during our time period. Maybe a car for travel but somehow i dont see it fitting in with the suikoden universe.
And Let Us Not Lose Compassion....For Those Who Have Yet To Be Pardoned....
xXSqualleoNXx

Post by xXSqualleoNXx »

You know, they would have to kick the timeline WAY out there to have a modern setting. Suikoden's current timeline is firmly stuck in medieval times/Renaissance era.
Hmm...