New Duel System?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Queens Knight

New Duel System?

Post by Queens Knight »

Don't get me wrong, the duel system was really cool in it's time, and still is, but its not very challanging.
I think for the next Suikoden Konami should tweak the duel system, keep the basics of it but add more depth to it, like instead of just choosing from three options ie; Attack, Defend, Deathblow, you can pick from 4 or 5 options, and maybe when the enemy yells out something it doesn't always trigger what thier next move will be.

Every aspect of the Suikoden game has changed since Suikoden 1, one way or another, war battles, rune equipment, weapon smith, regular equipment allotment slots etc; duel battles while cool are getting a little stagnent.
I'm just wondering what other people's thoughts on the future of the duel system should be?
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

The skill of the Dual system is in its rock paper scissors base.

Just like a real duel, if you are observant, you can easily read the intentions of most of your opponents.

of course anyone who has a guide that tells them what phrase coincides with which type of attack could find the duel system far to easy..
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

In Suikoden V there were QUITE a few duels where I had no clue what they were gonna do and I came close to losing quite a few times. It's difficult >_>;
Mystil

Post by Mystil »

I like how the even the guide didn't know what Dolph could do to you based on what he said. Suikoden V was the easiest - guide or not. You just KNOW what they were going to do by making it stupidy obvious.

"Oh that one smart! Lets see if you can handle THIS!"

duh - special attack.

Make them harder :) and your defense is capped so that your base defense has no affect on how much damage you take in duels.
Rune of Punishment.
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

It is really hard to redo the duel system, change it too much and it will lose its feeling. It could be changed into something like a fighting game, but I wouldn’t like this very much.

Maybe the system could be in semi real time, like you charge at your opponent and give three actions, stop, charge again with three actions... It would actually need some observation of the enemy’s body and skill. Some harder combination could lead to special combos.

Just a thought.
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

m ore phrases would be nice.
i can always tell what tehre gonna do.
there were only a select few in the 5 games that could throw me off
Futch

Post by Futch »

Yeah, maybe make it so they don't say the same thing twice, but still have what they say be a clue to what they'll do. This way it isn't so blatantly obvious that they'll defend because they said "whew, I need to rest" 8 times before and defended EVERY TIME.
Everyone loves Dragons. Cause If they don't.... >;(
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Futch wrote:Yeah, maybe make it so they don't say the same thing twice, but still have what they say be a clue to what they'll do. This way it isn't so blatantly obvious that they'll defend because they said "whew, I need to rest" 8 times before and defended EVERY TIME.
And so it makes people trigger happy. Then they'll say "whew I need to rest... haha I was just kidding*Special attack*" and people will already have pressed attack.
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

I always thought the absolute hardest character to duel would have to be a mute. Because for some reason, every other character in Suikoden games really love to talk and give away things when they duel.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
Red XIV

Post by Red XIV »

The problem of course is that if you dueled a mute fighter, victory would be entirely dependent on luck. It would be...kind of like the army battles in S1 before you get the ninjas, actually. :lol:
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

Red XIV wrote:The problem of course is that if you dueled a mute fighter, victory would be entirely dependent on luck. It would be...kind of like the army battles in S1 before you get the ninjas, actually. :lol:
In that case they'd have to focus on body language.
[evil laugh here]
Queens Knight

Post by Queens Knight »

Thats a really cool idea actually, instead of the people yelling out words or phrases and you reacting to them, you would have to watch the way thier body is moving or thier stance to see what move there going to do next.
Fiale

Post by Fiale »

Queens Knight wrote:Thats a really cool idea actually, instead of the people yelling out words or phrases and you reacting to them, you would have to watch the way thier body is moving or thier stance to see what move there going to do next.
And then they could use their spoken phrases to try and trick you into thinking they were gonna do something else :P
Raftrider

Post by Raftrider »

What irks me about the Duel System is unrealistic blows between the combatants and when your opponent repeats the same annoying phrases.

For the next Dual System, might I suggest the battles be like a mini fighting game? Kind of like Street Fighter (Soul Blade, etc.) meets Suikoden.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Raftrider wrote:What irks me about the Duel System is unrealistic blows between the combatants and when your opponent repeats the same annoying phrases.

For the next Dual System, might I suggest the battles be like a mini fighting game? Kind of like Street Fighter (Soul Blade, etc.) meets Suikoden.
How about no...

At most, it'll turn out like one of those horrible anime based fighting games and I think Suikoden has too much decency and dignity to succumb to such a lowly display of , what you might, call skill.
I hope everything is going delicious.