Revert back to Suiko III?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
SinaiBeach

Revert back to Suiko III?

Post by SinaiBeach »

I think that the suikoden series should return back to the way the third one was made, but with voices for the characters. The third one seemed to get the best reviews and it had a great feel because the game seemed so easy to pick up and play anyone agree with this?
And Let Us Not Lose Compassion....For Those Who Have Yet To Be Pardoned....
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

I 100% agree with you. I was thinking about that a few days ago now that I'm re-playing through Suikoden III and it has a good feel to it.
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

as long as tehy changed the battle system
Falenan_descent

I liked the battle system. As long as you had a front line of fighters and a back-line of mages you'd have the right set-up to do well. I mean, each group gets one choice as to what they need to do. If you have a backline of mage/support people you just use their runes and the fronliners will still attack. Its easy as pie.
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

Are you talking about the Trinity Sight System?!

Are you friggen insane?!

that was the most pain in the ass thing there ever was.

Not only that

but the battle system sucked ass

the major battle system blew donkey chode

the method of getting from point a to b was a complete and total failure.

Suikoden 3, in general, sucked total ass. Konami recognized that fact, which is why they didn't use the system again.

if Konami did use the system again, they would loose their fanbase for Suikoden, I sure as hell wouldn't buy another game like Suiko3
Yoonathan

Post by Yoonathan »

It was lame because if one attacked so did the other, I think? Don't attack me if I'm in-correct, but I think its right.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Komataguri wrote:if Konami did use the system again, they would loose their fanbase for Suikoden, I sure as hell wouldn't buy another game like Suiko3
I don't think your opinion represents the entire rest of the Suikoden fanbase so making such a sweeping statement won't really apply.

Anyway, I liked Suikoden III alot, some of it was better than V, but I think I might have to say that V was better all-round. I liked the Suikdoen III large battle system much better than any of the previous, it applied most to the stats gained in the real game. There wasn't enough of it though. The spells were uber powerful, far more powerful than Suikoden Vs so the difficult battle system kind of balanced that out by making it tricky to get everyone to do what you want. But, it's not like you wouldn't know what they were going to do because the little boot or sheild or sword icon on the action bar at the bottom would let you know. I also loved the mounting, they need to bring that back. Plus Chris was an awesome character.
SinaiBeach

Post by SinaiBeach »

Yeah im not saying that the 3rd game was perfect. The battle system was king of messed up with the whole pairing options, but the feel and that story and characters really shined. I really felt i was apart of this world because you were seeing viewpoints from all the characters, even your enemies. If they fixed up the minor problems from that game they could make a very good RPG that some may not forget.
And Let Us Not Lose Compassion....For Those Who Have Yet To Be Pardoned....
Falenan_descent

The problem with Suikoden III's battle system I have is the over powerful lightning attack runes. I mean, most people stay away from Fire and water because they have a wide AoA attack that hits anyone in its path.

But, the lightning rune is more than powerful enough to get you through th egame. Soaring bolt is dhastardly. But, most people weren't cool enough to strategize fights. All you need is someone like Aila or Sasarai with a decent earth element to cast an earth rune spell that negates one magical attack and then use explosion.
SpecialNewb

Post by SpecialNewb »

Well considering that Suikoden V dropped off the charters completey in Japan after the 2nd week.... there's not much of a fanbase left to lose and lot more to gain by making it more like the more popular S3. Just make a formation battle-system similar to S5 and it'll be gold. I look forward to those awesome strategy battles because I too liked the S3 style a lot.
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

Falenan_descent wrote:The problem with Suikoden III's battle system I have is the over powerful lightning attack runes. I mean, most people stay away from Fire and water because they have a wide AoA attack that hits anyone in its path.

But, the lightning rune is more than powerful enough to get you through th egame. Soaring bolt is dhastardly. But, most people weren't cool enough to strategize fights. All you need is someone like Aila or Sasarai with a decent earth element to cast an earth rune spell that negates one magical attack and then use explosion.
You mean people actually uswed breath of ice? And you could use fire magic. You just had to use the one of several mages who had the precision skill.

As far as the Earth abuse, come on hardly anybody uses defensive magic. And one of the characters you mentioned who is really good with it shows up at the very end of the game. And lets just say be glad his true rune is unavailiable if you thought lightning was overpowered. 4th level spell on that True rune was literally 2500-3000 damage to everything on the ground.

But it's amazing just how much people do get on III for everything. The Trinity sight system was a nice way of telling the seperate stories and really does not overlap directly all that much. If you played one section, like Hugo and thought that Chris was a coldhearted, well you know, then play her chapter and have a different opinion, then it did its job. Storytelling wise it was a neat system and was the best way to tell a story that revolved around five of the true runes.

The regular battle system though was not the best. It was annoying at times but on the otherhand it made you strategize, and made it the most difficult of the games.

I don't like things to entirely mimic. Actually Suikoden V overall did a good job of bringing old and new in its system. But I do find it funny how many people think the second game was perfect and beyond reproach.
Falenan_descent

As far as the Earth abuse, come on hardly anybody uses defensive magic. And one of the characters you mentioned who is really good with it shows up at the very end of the game. And lets just say be glad his true rune is unavailiable if you thought lightning was overpowered. 4th level spell on that True rune was literally 2500-3000 damage to everything on the ground.
I use defencive magic. It was the small, winning line between defeating Yuber, Luc, and Sarah or losing the fight. Lol. But, see, the true earth rune was gained way later in the game and you weren't given much time to "abuse" it. But the lightning rune was given to Geddoe and he could easily pull off a soaring bolt. My first time through I never touched Joker's fire rune because I knew that I had the allmighty lightning rune. I mean, why use a rune that hurts you when you can use a rune that doesn't and still does lots of damage.

But, if you took the time in game to utilize all that you had you'd be able to realize that you can pull off dancing flames and explosions really easily. It just requires the use of a decent mage and a back-up plan.

As for breath of ice, I used it. It's quite powerful and a good starting blow to the enemy. In hugo's 2nd chapter when you're fighting Yuber in the underground tunnel...Sgt. Joe can use a Breath of Ice that could cause Yuber to stop casting his lightning attack.
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

Suikoden 3 was honestly my least favorite Suikoden. I hated the battle system, I hated the story, and I absolutly hated the major battles.

Here are my problems with:

The gameplay: Mainly the battle system. Pairing seemed like a really dumb idea to me. The pairing system seemed a bit rediculous to me. And they really messed up with casting area spells. They should have given you a "Move" command. Where you can have your characters move out of the way and then have a mage cast fire. Instead of really hoping they move so they dont die. And sometimes the camera angle was so bad, it didn't let you see what happened.

Story: I felt Suikoden 3's story went against everything Suikoden is supposed to be. My idea of Suikoden is about war. A long and emotoinally painful war where everyone suffers. The game started off with this, with the Zexens and Grassland. But as the game went on. It got dumb to me. All you fought were monsters and evil people who want to blow up the world. ( I know Luc is more complicated and advanced then that. But they really don't make that too apparent in the game. Most of the main characters are just like "HEY LETS STOP THE WORLD FROM EXPLODING!") It really took all the magic out of Suikoden for me. And turned it into another boring Final Fantasy game. It missedthe really dramatic fights like Ain Gide, Seed and Culgan, Troy etc etc. People who you had to fight, not cause they were evil. But because you fought for your beliefs, and they fought for theirs.

Major Battles: One reason I didn't like it is the same reason Oppenheimer loved it. My opinion was that I found training up so man characters kind of tedious. And also to me, it didn't feel like a war to me. There is never over 50 people on the battlefield at once. And that is supposed to be a war? And you fight individual battles that are actually SMALLER then normal party battles and you can't even control your characters? ( and they were very dumb as well.) It didn't make any sense to me. And on top of everything, it looked horrible! Cards with dotted lines to go from panel to panel? It really doesn't excite me that this is a war at all. Even though all Suikoden 1 was a game of Rock/Paper/Scissors. It was still very exciting seeing the hundreds of little soldiers charge into each other and fight.

That's just my opinion.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
Falenan_descent

I felt Suikoden 3's story went against everything Suikoden is supposed to be. My idea of Suikoden is about war. A long and emotoinally painful war where everyone suffers.
While that may be for most of the suikoden titles...based off what Luc and Sarah were discussing in Le Buque...its very possible that the suikoden games are leaning more towards a possible apocalypse involving the true runes. I personally liked the twist.
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

Falenan_descent wrote:
I felt Suikoden 3's story went against everything Suikoden is supposed to be. My idea of Suikoden is about war. A long and emotoinally painful war where everyone suffers.
While that may be for most of the suikoden titles...based off what Luc and Sarah were discussing in Le Buque...its very possible that the suikoden games are leaning more towards a possible apocalypse involving the true runes. I personally liked the twist.
Then I probably wouldn't like that game either ( I'd still play it and judge it based on what I play. Im never biased) I really love thinking about what happens if you lose in a Suikoden game. It seems strange, but I do. Like if you lose in Suikoden 1. The world doesn't end. Barbossa just becomes known as the Emporer who crused the rebellion. And he would probably be seen as a hero by a lot of people.

Now don't get me wrong. Compared to any other game I play. I really liked Suikoden 3. But I hold Suikoden 1, 2, and now 5 in a class of their own. But Suikoden 3 just didn't do it for me.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."