Revert back to Suiko III?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Piercezoner

Post by Piercezoner »

When I first got the game when it came out i was so angry at the presentation of the game(20-man war fights, little kids everywhere, Yuber being so weak). Ive played a few months ago and i ve learned to appreciate it.

The characters were well developed and the skill system was excellent. Yes the battle system was all stupid with the buddy system, but that made the battles much harder and much to think about before you cast that fire rune.

I liked the idea of the Trinity Site System. Very good idea but badly done. Repeating events you did about 10 hrs ago is not fun. I guess this was neccesary though because of how the plot unfolded. A think a fun way they should bring this back is to have a time trigger appear on the screen that shows other events happening with other SOD's, and you can play small side-stories with them. Like FF9, but you can actually do stuff.
-----------------------
Tir Tcdohl
SinaiBeach

Post by SinaiBeach »

I felt the trinity system did the job beacause u got every single side of the story. The ones you thought were ruthless deep down were kind hearted people, and what is up with you all thinking the story was bad. You all fell in love with the stories of war in suikoden 1 and 2 that you got made konami didnt make another predictable game about war. And it was about war, a war for those 5 true runes. It was a very compelling story.
And Let Us Not Lose Compassion....For Those Who Have Yet To Be Pardoned....
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

all I know is...I start the game playing as hugo and I HATED the knights of zexen...but wait! I can play as the knights? what the hell!! the knights are innocent...wait this is all a misunderstanding!!! hugo dont hate chris!! the knights are good!!

those moments were priceless, so to me the trinity sight system was great for that game
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

I thought the trinity system was excellent. Even though you had to repeat events all the time, you got to go back and see how it unfolded from a different point of view.

Ex: Karaya village is burned. Hugo and company run back to find people slaughtered. Lulu runs off and gets killed by Chris Lightfellow.

Mood: I was pretty damn upset with Chris. And I hated her for it. I kinda liked Lulu and I spent a bit on levelling him up.

Continuation: Chris Lightfellow is randomely pincered by the Grasslanders and has to flee and decides to burn down the village to get them to stop. They're about to pull out when all of a sudden Lulu pops up and she defends herself. Lulu dies.

Then it made me realize how stupid Lulu was for charging forward. And Sgt. Joe tied up Lulu's death nicely with his words of wisdom.
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

The Trinity Sight System in Suikoden 3 looked so good, I hope they do make another game using it, or at least release Suikoden 3 in Europe.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Ushiku wrote:The Trinity Sight System in Suikoden 3 looked so good, I hope they do make another game using it, or at least release Suikoden 3 in Europe.
I really don't want to see the Trinity System again. It is a one time thing( not saying it was bad in any way cause it was brilliant.) and doing it again would be repetitive. Perhaps a reward such as the 108 SOD reward from S3 would be nice.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

In contrast, wouldn't not having the Trinity Sight System also be repetitive? That's not really a valid argument: the repetitiveness aspect.

Yes, I used a double negative, so sue me.
SinaiBeach

Post by SinaiBeach »

I really enjoyed the trinity system and think they should make one more game like that. It would be repetitive if they just kept making games like that but one more time would be a nice change of pace maybe. And even if they dont use the trinity system, i think they should bring everything back from suikoden 3 with the character models and the characters just seemed so real and acted so lively even thought they werent even talking which is weird. The game really worked. Got great reviews all around and was it the top selling game of series? Just wondering.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Jowy Atreides wrote:In contrast, wouldn't not having the Trinity Sight System also be repetitive? That's not really a valid argument: the repetitiveness aspect.

Yes, I used a double negative, so sue me.
I guess repetetive is a bad word in that context. BUt you get my point. Instead of recycling the Trinity System(or the normal system for that matter) they should focus on something new.
czartiffac

Post by czartiffac »

No Trinity System it makes the recruitment of characters hard to follow since you have to go with 3 characters at the beginning, so I felt it was a bit of a hassle.

No Suiko3 battle system, I dun want to level the characters up anymore, this was the same issue in Suiko4 when you choose to board the enemy vessel. Too chessy, too easy for a tactic.

The tag system for random battle was OK but what they did with SuikoV was GOLD, so please don't revert anything.

I think Suikoden V main flaw was the loading time but from what Im reading from review and news of Suikoden V, its not really doing that bad. I mean I stopped looking at the Jap charts coz they release games in any given day and people just continue to horde games wether its hentai or anime based, they horde it.

Casual games like Suikoden gets dropped down easily. Samething with the last Front Mission. So unless game sites says that a game sinked then thats the only thing that says it failed and the company didn't meet its intended mark.
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

When I first got the game when it came out i was so angry at the presentation of the game(20-man war fights, little kids everywhere, Yuber being so weak). Ive played a few months ago and i ve learned to appreciate it.
There aren't really that many people in the Grassland/Zexen area then there would be in say...Toran. It's just a small country divided in two due to war. So I think the "20 man battles" were meant to be little skirmishes.
SinaiBeach

Post by SinaiBeach »

Falenan_Descent your aboslutely right. everyone doesnt seem to realize that because they were so used to the huge war fights. The clans in the game are small and dont have that many men to use at their disposal.
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

SinaiBeach wrote:Falenan_Descent your aboslutely right. everyone doesnt seem to realize that because they were so used to the huge war fights. The clans in the game are small and dont have that many men to use at their disposal.
Still, I thought it looked ugly, played ugly. And to me, it had absolutly no drama or excitement at all. I mean, I know they are supposed to be small. But when Iksay village was attacked. In that cutscene, you saw many many lizard people. Much more then you ever see in a major war battle.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
Darian

Post by Darian »

Suikoden III was a good RPG but a lousy Suikoden. I hope they stick with what they've established in V and just polish it up a bit and up the difficulty.

Suikoden III was the first to dump the classic battle system (bad decision).

Suikoden III dumbed down the war battles tremendously. Realistic to the game or not, it sucked. I really didn't feel like I had an army when my SoDs comprised my entire force. Seeing little kids and girls with puppets running around on a battlefield was a helluva mood killer and turned the game into one long grind, since you needed to have every character in good shape.

I didn't mind the Trinity system all that much. I thought it was cool to see things from different characters' perspectives. However this killed the entire point of having a silent protagonist; so you can project yourself on to him/her. Having three already fully developed and independant characters as the protagonists killed immersion.

Suikoden needs to move far, far away from III. Suikoden is supposed to be about leading armies and fighting a war. What Suikoden needs is less fighting sentient leaves and boxing armadillos and more of the above. III was representative of the former; a fairly standard RPG fair with a gimmicky tactics component.

The only thing III got right was the music. Best music in the series. Other than that... well... it was a good Final Fantasy in a day when good Final Fantasies don't come along too often.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Suikoden III was the first to dump the classic battle system (bad decision).
Its because of 3 that Suikoden 5 now has a perfect battle system(almost perfect. Its still too easy.). The skill system comes from S3.

The war System was annoying though. But I never lvled random characters anyway.