Revert back to Suiko III?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
SinaiBeach

Post by SinaiBeach »

I know suikoden 3 had some problems but doesnt every game in the series have its problems. I think they should at least set up the game with the base of the 3rd one, keep some things and change some things but keep the overall feel of the third one. It seemed to me that the 3rd one just stuck out more and gained more recognitoin and from konami's standpoint, they need more recognition because i guess the suikoden series isnt doing as good as they hoped but i could be wrong.
And Let Us Not Lose Compassion....For Those Who Have Yet To Be Pardoned....
Darian

Post by Darian »

Well, I can't speak for you guys, but I'd prefer a better game over a more widely recognized game. Suikoden has never been a big mega-hit franchise (at least not in the U.S. [lol, why does the filter do that?]) because it strays from standard Japanese RPG faire. III was a sharp turn towards being just another Japanese RPG, which is a genre that many are getting pretty sick of: just look at FFXII.

If we're talking critics then V and III are pretty even in terms of scores, but most reviews I've read regard III as a wrong turn and V as getting back on track.
Wraith wrote:
Suikoden III was the first to dump the classic battle system (bad decision).
Its because of 3 that Suikoden 5 now has a perfect battle system(almost perfect. Its still too easy.). The skill system comes from S3.

The war System was annoying though. But I never lvled random characters anyway.
But that's all it took from it - that one thing. They could have added that in any Suikoden. I was saying that they dumped the six-person party in favor of "pairs" and until V it was widely regarded by many as the death-knell for the series once the abysmal IV came around.

Basically what III did was try to fix a game that was working just fine; they got it right with II and V is much more of a reflection of that than it is of III.
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

I think Konami's aim was to give the 108 stars a more important role in war than they usually had. Thus, getting rid of common soldiers and using the stars of destiny where they could. I liked that idea. There've been really useless characters before and at least, this way, all the characters that could were being used.

Also, sidenote...I found the strategy battles VERY difficult. I was never one to just retreat all the time so I often tried to manipulate the field in my favour so I had the best offense/defense. Using "Cover" and what not. And just getting into a good position and staying there is part of the fun.

Like in THomas' chapter...the first war battle...try and take out everyone BUT Leo and Percival =P (You can't take them out, unfortunately)
Darian

Post by Darian »

Falenan_descent wrote:I think Konami's aim was to give the 108 stars a more important role in war than they usually had. Thus, getting rid of common soldiers and using the stars of destiny where they could. I liked that idea. There've been really useless characters before and at least, this way, all the characters that could were being used.
I think SV accomplished this much better. Not all the SoD are soldiers and few of them would be actually fighting on the front lines. Furthermore, despite what Konami's aim may have been, they turned the game into a grind-fest, plain and simple. In SV the SoD play key roles in battle by filling the leadership positions of a given unit, which makes much more sense. I agree that there should be more incentive to keep a few key party members in good shape, and in fact I wrote a long long post about my ideas of how to do that in a thread in the SV Gameplay section -- which I would post here but I think it goes a little too far off-topic as it doesn't relate to III at all -- but SIII's model is not the way.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Perhaps they could borrow the field duels from Koei's Romance of the Three Kingdoms series. In that game, generals can challenge generals from other units for a personal duel on the battlefield, hence where the personal stats can play a role in strategy battles. However, there would still be the question of balancing, as this would mean they'd need to give even the faceless nameless generals some decent personal stats to make it worthwhile.
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

If they ever did that in a Suikoden game, they would probably only make it so that you can duel enemy unit's generals only if it's a story character is the general. No one faceless/nameless.

That would be awesome though for 1 on 1 duels. And it would be even better if you could actually get yourself in a lot of trouble by agreeing to the duels. Like I'm thinking if that was in Suikoden 2, and you had a chance to duel Luca Blight in the Mercanary Fortress battle, and then lose a character permanantly by doing that.

So it would be a gamble in any duel. Either fight the army, with a chance of losing your character if your unit is destroyed. Or fight on a 1on1 duel, where if your general loses, it's 100% guaranteed death.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

It would be interesting as a gameplay element, they did something similar with Pahn in the original Suikoden game, however there haven't been any general vs general battles since.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
eStrangeD

Post by eStrangeD »

NO. Suiko 5 is a BIG step in the right direction. Suiko 3 is flawed and IMO is more of an experiment to Konami for the PS2. Suiko 5 i felt was like suikoden 2. yes i am serious that i am putting Suiko V and SUiko II on a tie. The battle system is the same except we have the formations. Suiko 5 brought back all the things that made us love this series. The character deveopment was great, i feel 90% of my characters have personality. In suiko 4 people arent even a part of the plot and a few exeptions are lino and elenor but thats it. In suiko 5 you know your characters' reason for joining. They should definitely keep going the way they are going because this is the best game ive played in a while, sure everything changes but im just afraid that suik 6 might turn into a suiko4 clone.
SinaiBeach

Post by SinaiBeach »

If suikoden 6 turned into a suikoden 4 i can guarantee right here and now that the suikoden series would be over. I assume all of you agree with me on that one.
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

SinaiBeach wrote:If suikoden 6 turned into a suikoden 4 i can guarantee right here and now that the suikoden series would be over. I assume all of you agree with me on that one.
Agreed but fans and critics alike have both complimented Suikoden 5, so I don't think they'll make any huge changes for Suikoden 6, just minor tweaks here and there to make Suikoden 6 watertight, some people have compared Suikoden 5 to Suikoden 2, so I'm sure that Konami are pulling their socks up, when I read the Kings Blogs I was filled with enthusiasm over the future of the Suikoden series because they were working so hard, and its paid off.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
SinaiBeach

Post by SinaiBeach »

Yes it sure has paid off and they should be glad they made such a great game such as suikoden 5. Hopefully they can fix the minor things like insane random encounters and loading times and suikoden 6 can be better than 5 and 2 maybe and gain some more attention.
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

You know, I really enjoyed Suikoden IV until I started reading about how everyone hated and then I started to nitpick the small things that everyone claimed that made it bad and thus I thought it was bad. >_>; A suikoden game is a suikoden game till someone bashes it. Then its depressing D:
SinaiBeach

Post by SinaiBeach »

Falenan_descent wrote:You know, I really enjoyed Suikoden IV until I started reading about how everyone hated and then I started to nitpick the small things that everyone claimed that made it bad and thus I thought it was bad. >_>; A suikoden game is a suikoden game till someone bashes it. Then its depressing D:

You kinda have a good point on that one. What makes someone hate something so much is the fact that it is constantly ridiculed and then it feeds onto you, all the negativity.
Emperor

Post by Emperor »

I just like the story line. the battle systems rarely concerns me.

Post by SinaiBeach »

Yeah the story was great and they should go back to that kind of feel.