Female Tenkai

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
sticky-runes

Re: Female Tenkai

Post by sticky-runes »

Antimatzist wrote:Ok we drifted into OT, but I want to shar my opinion too.
I think RoP isn't a really good rune, neither gameplay-wise nor conception-wise. It feels like the Soul Eater, just that it is a tiny bit different. And the spells are not good enough that you would ever think using them later in the game. I also think it's bad conception that it's never really explained why Lazlo isn't killed by the rune.
Sorry, but BS. It makes sense that you have a rune that is supposed to be cursed that you would avoid using, or use very carefully. Lazlo is not killed by it because he's the Tenkai star, 'nuff said. A rune that can blow entire ships to hell in a heartbeat, compared to those namby pamby runes that we got in suikoden 2 and 5 that get used for lifting fog and activating flood gates? Yes please. And try saying the RoP is a bad rune in Suikoden Tactics. :P
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Well, you're comparing a TR with two non-TR, so that makes little sense. And the RoP really loses its usefulness fast, you can't really argue with that!? (Of course it's maybe one of the best runes in tactics, I'm speaking about IV solely here.)
And that's not a good explanation with the Tenkai-Star. Because, well, without the 108 stars he dies at the end. So why not before that!?
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

They're runes given to the main characters, doesn't really matter whether they're true runes or fractions of true runes or whatever, they're all powers possessed by the games' main heroes, so I think the comparison seems fair enough.
And the way I see it, it's Lazlo's destiny as the Tenkai star to gather the other stars and bring peace to the Island Nations. So he's not fated to die during those other events where he collapses after using the rune. When he dies at the end, that's because he's achieved his goal of protecting the islands. Plus he has a special relationship with the rune because his mother was a previous bearer, so she probably had a lot to do with his survival as well.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

So what TR do you think would suit a Female Tenkai? If I'm going to make a female Tenkai though, I'll base her on the tale of Princess Pingyang of the Chinese Tang Dynasty and make her a Rune Knight or Rune Archer with stronger emphasis on magic.

ATM I'm thinking of any of Bright Shield, Black Sword, or one of the True Elemental Runes (specifically True Wind).

Is it possible to have a case of both bearers of the Bright Shield and the Black Sword Runes to be on the same side? Just in case, I would let the player choose which Rune would the heroine pick, then her father (who could also be a Rune Knight, but with stronger emphasis on physical attacks) would pick the other one. If she picked the Bright Shield, her dad would pick the Black Sword and vice-versa.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

Iirc they have to end up being adversaries because of the nature of that Rune, but I could be wrong. If this would take place after S1 there's also Windy's Rune to consider as well.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

EstrangedIX wrote:Iirc they have to end up being adversaries because of the nature of that Rune, but I could be wrong. If this would take place after S1 there's also Windy's Rune to consider as well.
Yeah, I know that. I only suggested it for a change. But I guess it's better to stick with just one full TR. Or maybe it's possible to make a fan game with a non-canon TR or even no TR at all.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

With the right angles to the plot it could probably still work. I really like the idea of a father & daughter team.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Sorry for the necro, but I have this idea for a Suikoden story inspired by Princess Pingyang of T'ang China using Nagarea, Zelant, and Falena. The story may be set in Zelant, it would be a civil war coiniciding with the war between Nagarea and Falena so that both can support either side, with Falena supporting the protagonist faction, while Nagarea the antagonist faction. In this way the female Tenkai can solicit help from Falena against the faction supported by Nagarea in exchange for helping them create the Feitas Dragon Cavalry. After all, Nagarea HATES dragon horses with a passion.

Maybe we can have Queen Olhazeta appear in the story, either her as the reigning queen at the time so we can have young Shahrewar and young Falzrahm as playable SoD's who share the same stars as the Pretty Boys (Alen/Grenseal, Miklotov/Camus), or have Olhazeta's mom as the reigning queen while her and one of her sisters as the "Pretty Boys" SoD's. Both Shahrewar and Falzrahm will be mage knights, but Shahrewar will be the calm-headed one with emphasis on magic while Falzrahm will be the hot-tempered one with emphasis on physicals.

Thoughts?
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

I like your idea, but I would rather set it to 3 years after the sun rune war because I’m a hardcore fan of returning characters. Don’t miss the potential Suikoden 5 gave us!

SOD:
Norma, Ernst and Levi went to Zelant
Oboro, Alhazred and Nakula went to Nagarea
Lun, Nick and Ax as dragon horse support
Toma and Nifsara (let’s say they left Falena for Toma to get experience or so)
Prince and Lyon (like Tir and Gremio in Suikoden 2)
Lucretia and Lelei as her apprentice (or only the latter sent by the former)
Jeane and Viki because who dares breaking a tradition
Kyle, Eresh, Richard, Hazuki, Nikea, Subala and Zegai because they’ve got no assignment, so why not

Cameo appearances:
Lym and Miakis (the latter could be playable as well)
Rahal & Roog
Euram & Luserina
Logg & Kisara
Boz (because navy guy)

I like the Shahrewar + Falzrahm idea, but the above is a too high price to pay for it imho. Well, I mean for a game. For a novel or so, all your ideas are perfectly fine!
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Wolkendrache wrote:I like your idea, but I would rather set it to 3 years after the sun rune war because I’m a hardcore fan of returning characters. Don’t miss the potential Suikoden 5 gave us!

SOD:
Norma, Ernst and Levi went to Zelant
Oboro, Alhazred and Nakula went to Nagarea
Lun, Nick and Ax as dragon horse support
Toma and Nifsara (let’s say they left Falena for Toma to get experience or so)
Prince and Lyon (like Tir and Gremio in Suikoden 2)
Lucretia and Lelei as her apprentice (or only the latter sent by the former)
Jeane and Viki because who dares breaking a tradition
Kyle, Eresh, Richard, Hazuki, Nikea, Subala and Zegai because they’ve got no assignment, so why not

Cameo appearances:
Lym and Miakis (the latter could be playable as well)
Rahal & Roog
Euram & Luserina
Logg & Kisara
Boz (because navy guy)

I like the Shahrewar + Falzrahm idea, but the above is a too high price to pay for it imho. Well, I mean for a game. For a novel or so, all your ideas are perfectly fine!
Uh, my idea isn't really that conducive to allowing returning characters, and besides you would already have the early days of the Gate Rune Wars at that time. Also, my story idea can only be pretty much set at the time when the Feitas Dragon Cavalry was still new, so they can assure their help for the hero faction's battle against the villain faction supported by Nagarea.

I am not very much a fan of the Prince + Lyon comeback, for by then they will no longer have their TR's (unlike Tir who still had his TR), unless maybe they will use them again to support the protagonist faction. There may be some political problems in doing this, but given that this is a reformed Falena under Lym we are talking about, can Lym and/or Haswar just allow the Dawn and Twilight runes to be unsealed? The conflict, therefore, must be big enough for Falena to actually use those runes just to help the hero faction. Pretty much the only large scale conflict by IS 453 is the Gate Rune Wars, but I don't see Falena participating in this, and even if Odessa was able to contact them, Falena won't probably help her fight the SME anyways. After all, Milich attended Lym's coronation ceremony.

Side note: I have heard some people say that Genkaku visited Falena, and that was how he got the inspiration to train Nanami in the tri-section staff, for it was the same type of weapon the Prince used, but I don't find it likely. It's most probably a coincidence that Nanami and the Prince of Falena train in the same type of weapon, but the Prince can do a lot more things with the tri-section staff (switching between staff and nunchuck modes) than Nanami ever could with the same (she only ever uses it like a pair of chucks, so naturally she can attack faster).
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Since you’re mentioning a Tenkai star, are you planning a “Suikoden 6” novel?

Imo the years between ~450 and ~470 (depending on location) sound most promising. As a player I would like to see a bunch of returning characters. Suikoden 2 had an excellent story, but I think the ratings wouldn’t be that high without the returning characters. Maybe that’s just me. But because of this I wouldn’t do without them as a game writer. Likewise, imo Suikoden 4’s problem was not only the story and the game being rushed, but also the lack of returning characters. To a lesser extent this applies to S3 and S5 as well, but S3 at least was lucky to be on a new console and to follow S2. Ok I’m going too far offtopic…

Never mind. Don’t be a chicken like I would be, just follow the prime rule in arts: no compromises!
You can’t have many returning characters, only the immortal or time teleporting ones (Jeane, Zerase, Simeon, Viki etc). But there would still be returning weapons and runes. Will there be ancestors of later characters? Will famous factions return, e.g. Lindwurm mercenaries, howling voice guild, nether gate etc? Which non-humans will you use or will you create your own? Will your female protagonist have a male bodyguard? Will she have a romance? If yes, and if you’d make a game, would it be a fixed romance or a flexible one depending on answers to specific SoD (Baldur’s Gate 2 style)? Will she be about 16 years-old like all the other protagonists, or will you break that tradition? Rather for inspiration, don’t feel forced to answer.

If you want to present your ideas in more detail (apart from your protagonist being female), I’d suggest creating a new topic in the fanwork section.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Suddenly I thought of Odessa as the Tenkai, so that Falena can be part of the villain faction. :p
borjitasstoi

Post by borjitasstoi »

Lanarikka her name :mrgreen: nah just kidding its impossible find beautiful name for female tenkai star