Future Suikoden Failure?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

I think that would be interesting, however the best friend character are usually strong, it would be better in my opinion to have an unlikely hero arise as the new tenkai.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Queens Knight

Post by Queens Knight »

Personally the one thing i haven't liked about the Suikoden series is that once you get your strategist you pretty much win every battle from then on out. Also the enemy always seems to be lacking a gifted sometimes even a compentant strategist for thier part.

Scarlet Moon had no stragetists of any note on thier side, Highland did have Klaus, but he was no match for Shu, Leon was a match but he helped you almost as much as he deterred you.
Only game you were out-strategised in (i know, not a word...it is now lol) was S3, but it really didn't show it, S3 didn't really show much strategy at all besides go here and fight that guy.
S4 again didn't pit you against any note worthy opponent.

For VI i'd like to see you start to gain momentum, have a good strategist, come up with a good plan and everything seems to be going well. Then all of sudden the enemy gets a strategist, turns the tables on you and pretty much annihilates your entire force with a masterful plan making your strategist look like a fool.

What's more scary? A large army with no brain that you can just slowly hack away at till theres nothing left, or a moderate to large army with a brilliant strategist pulling the string trying to counter everything your strategist does?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

That strategist would be doomed to be unpopular. That can't be a good thing.

Plus, it's not like the battles after getting your strategists are guaranteed victory anyway. Suikoden had that Milich and Teo issues which required something more than just your strategist. Suikoden V... I guess giving up your HQ counts towards non-stop winning?
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

Actually, if the strategist were to fail...there could be a huge scene where the main character finds the strategist sulking somewhere and the strategist goes off on how he/she is a failure and that despite his/her training and his/her bloodline (Silverberg, anyone?), they couldn't get the job done. It could be emotional?
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

That would be great, some kind of Silverberg with the mental age of Bolgan. Now that would be really funny to see. Unless you meant a good strategist being outsmarted, that is possible also.

I wonder how the theme of betrayal would fit into that though, perhaps when the battle is lost, a loyal member of the team such as the dead Tenkai's best friend could defect because they were loyal to their friend but not the cause.

Then an unlikely hero could arise from the ashes of defeat, and there you have Suikoden failure.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
ComeBackKid

Post by ComeBackKid »

I also like the idea. With the main hero dieing, but I wouldn't like to have to take a new character and lvl him/her up. A good idea could be kind of like ted/tir, when the tenkai dies he/she passes his power over to the new tenkai. (Kind of like in FFV when the grandpa dies and gives his power to his grand daughter).
Can’t hold on to the thrill
So I hope you find your will to follow through
What we’ve invented, I am now ending
Hold on to who you love
We are tryin’ to blow like dust since we were young
The mornings over, the day is in full swing.
czartiffac

Post by czartiffac »

We already pretty much have the bad scenario ending with the multiple ending thing. In the end its Konami's decision if its a bad ending or not they will use for the story arc but I doubt they'd do it, I mean after you get to love the characters and they lose permanently in the end without any retribution after about 60-70 hrs of gameplay. I mean that sux! lolz!

As for the strategist, this is why I said Suikoden 3 has a superior story you get to have multiple strategist for the goodside bec. you have 4 character view points and the enemy has only one and yet the heroes still get thier arzes whooped.
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

Well, an ending doesn't necessarily have to be happy to be good. If anyone has watched "A series of unfortunate events" The ending was pretty shitty. But the speech she gave at the end was worth sitting through the movie. They could make the ending extremely good even if it's not a successful ending =P
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

I also like this idea.
I really dislike the "perfect strategist", I´d love to see your strategist being outsmarted, but I don´t think killing the tekai would be good.
Maybe the hero could just go MIA during the combat, so he can return later to save the day.