Future Suikoden Failure?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Falenan_descent

Future Suikoden Failure?

Post by Falenan_descent »

I would love to see a game where the main hero didn't live up to the Tenkai star. Instead, he failed. He died. He lost the war. Did something to give the game a huge twist.

Think about it.

The main hero rises up to start an army. At first, they do really well...but then the main character is cursed or something. Possibly some type of rune with a series of utter failures. Or something. Rune of failure? Lol. And, so he starts to lose and then is overcome.

But that would only be half the game. Im sure nobody would wanna work hard at a game only to lose. But then another character would rise in the other Tenkai's steed and take over and win the war O_o; It'd be a neat twist IMO.
killey

Post by killey »

It's a good story idea (especially for a movie) but for a game where you might spend 30 hours with one character only to have them fail/die and have to switch to another character there's a risk of the player becoming too attached to the original character.

Edit: Watch the Suikoden 5 spoilers please.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

yes I think thats a great idea, they should do somwthing where the hero gets a base almost near the middle of the game then the base blows up and most of the people he was with dies{including the strategist!} and thats when you gotta start recruiting the 108 sod and go look for a new strategist, you also choose a temporary base until you can get a new stronghold

the choices could be...caves,a mountain,a forest and whatever else we can think of^^...anyway the whole main base gets destroyed idea is really cool^^

Edit: This is not a place for Suikoden 5 spoilers.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

Isn't that what happened in s2? Viktor's fort was destroyed, you were even allowed to recriuit while there and yes I DID think it was going to be the HQ when I first played it. Still it would be interesting to see you build a large base up only to have it knocked down and destroyed. They do have a pattern of giving you characters that are SoD only to find out that they are not later on. Like with the traitor from S1, I can't find his name at the moment but he allowed you to change your party.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Sanchez was his name.

And I quite like son_michael's idea of having your initial, pre-SOD base and men destroyed and killed towards the start of the game.

Also, please watch the Suikoden V spoilers.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Lemmy Claypool wrote:Sanchez was his name.

And I quite like son_michael's idea of having your initial, pre-SOD base and men destroyed and killed towards the start of the game.

Also, please watch the Suikoden V spoilers. I could've done without knowing that your homebase gets invaded, to be honest.
EDIT: Deleted a small spoiler.

EDIT2: I saw Pollensata quoted me...Showing the spoiler I deleted...
Last edited by Wraith on Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Wraith wrote:
Lemmy Claypool wrote:Sanchez was his name.

Also, please watch the Suikoden V spoilers.
Well its not THAT big of a spoiler when you get to it considering it depends on your choices.

I'm not sure if what I just said is a spoiler or not.
Yeah, it is... please watch it in the future. ^^

EDIT: I cleaned the topic up and deleted all the spoilers from peoples' posts AND quotes. :roll:
Purr.
Falenan_descent

Ohhh, here's a theory.

The Main Character of "Suikoden Failure" could be the guy that Hikusaak overthrew and built Harmonia on top of his city!

That could be the prologue to the story. You play the Failure and then he loses his whole city which would then later become Harmonia.

Then, the game switches to a character, possibly 3rd class Harmonian citizen...who would then become the real Tenkai of that story.

The reason I suggest the Failure take place when Hikusaak is crushing the city...is so that we'd get a bit of background info on how Hikusaak and the Circle rune came to establish Holy Harmonia :D
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I'm not too sure about that exact scenario, but I'd love something like this: constantly switching around, making things confusing. Something like Chrono Cross would be nice too. Not just switching to "Lynx" for a time, but fighting against your old allies in your new body would be awesome too.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

sounds pretty creative.. hahahha this is a very interesting forum. I really like that idea.
Nick Bruiser
Falenan_descent

Plus I could see Leknaat going on a huge speech about how once there was a failure in the Stars Of Destiny =P She could be the narrator. LOL
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

I think if they ever made a game this way, even though the Tenkai loses or dies, there has to be some personal internal victory for the hero. Because if there is absolutly nothing but playing the game and losing with no victory or no satsifaction. It would feel almost incomplete to me.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I wouldn't want to see the hero fail of course, but if they could attach you to the characters like Vagrant Story and make you feel for them and make them more than one-dimensional "I WANT FALENA TO PROSPER" retards, then they could it make it a "failure" in the context of the hero still "succeeding", but everyone else around him/her "failing".
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

Perhaps the tenkai could become over confident after a few enitial victories against the lower prestiged enemy generals and then suddenly be surprised by an all out assault by the enemy, and end up essentially failing with most of his army losing too, only for the teenage child of a survivor or a teenage survivor who up to then was pretty much a cowardly weakling who was in the old hero's shadow to rise up to the occassion and get a True Rune and become strong him/herself, but since (s)he was initially a coward/intelligent but lacking in physical strength (s)he isn't as overconfident as the previous leader and takes their time gathering 108 stars of destiny and becoming an unlikely hero.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Falenan_descent

Or...you could always play the game as the Tenkai and die. Then, Leknaat shows up and claims that the flow of history has been altered and leaves it up to the "Best friend" to take over. The suikoden trademark of someone dying would still be there. But instead of the best friend dying, the tenkai dies and thebest friend takes over.