Next New Race!?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Falenan_descent

Re: Next New Race!?

Post by Falenan_descent »

A race-specific class of weapons!
They already did that with SIII. The Lizard Clan uses The Gride. The Duck Clan also used polearms with fishes just under the point.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Falenan_descent wrote:They already did that with SIII. The Lizard Clan uses The Gride. The Duck Clan also used polearms with fishes just under the point.
I'm going to guess you missed the Sun Wukong joke.

It would have been a great way to tie in yet another of the Four Great Classical Novels. Have three different race kingdoms fighting for power to make a third one be included... and have the fall of one great, wealthy race to tie in the fourth.

In case you're wondering, I'm talking about...

Water Margin
Journey to the West
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Dream of the Red Chamber
Formerly known as: Gothann
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

I have no idea about it but isn't Water Margin Suikoden?
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Runemaster wrote:I have no idea about it but isn't Water Margin Suikoden?
Loosely. Concepts such as the 108 Stars of Destiny are inspired by Water Margin.
The fighting 108

Post by The fighting 108 »

Platypus people shall be the next new race. This will satisfy everyone who liked both the beavers and the ducks.

But really, I've had enough with them rehashing an anthropomorphic race with every series. I think they can stick with the glut of extraneous races they have now.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

The fighting 108 wrote:Platypus people shall be the next new race. This will satisfy everyone who liked both the beavers and the ducks.

But really, I've had enough with them rehashing an anthropomorphic race with every series. I think they can stick with the glut of extraneous races they have now.
I agree, I'm fine with the many races that they introduced in the series so far and I don't see the need for anymore new editions, unless its the Auster Folk (somehow link them to the mainseries). I'd actually like to see the races we currently have to intermingle with one another. Kobolds and Lizards or Ducks and Beavers(together, not a platapus). Also, how bout the Elves after the Forest of the Elves burned down in S1, there has been one or two vagrant Elves in a couple of the games, do they not have home? I'd like to see shades of real races like Asians or Africans (African-American which ever) theres very few. S2 had alot of Asian oriented names but I probaly can count on one hand the African looking characters. Karayans reminded me of either a Hispanic culture or an American Indian culture. The couple Armes soldiers who appeared in SV reminded me of Persians or middle east like.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Personally I'm tired of animal races, I have a hard time taking them seriously. The human-like ones such as elves and wingers are fine, but no more giant talking animals. Like Belcoot I'd rather see some human races with interesting cultural backgrounds instead.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

Well, the elves as a rule seclude themselves whether they're in Toran, of Na-Nal, or Alseid.

And concerning Armes. I have a theory I'm working over concerning the relationship between Armes, Falena, and Nagarea. Falena is actually the country that is more related to Persia, and by Persia, I mean the ancient empire, not Iran of today which is more Muslim in religion than they are Persian in culture. Names such as Arshtat, Ferid and Zahhak have been demonstrated as coming from Zoroastrianism, which was the religion of Ancient Persia. Armes has several names that are actually from Indian Hindu mythology. I know for sure of Nakula, and I think one or more of the three known clan names (Ishvaak, Darja, and I think Madra). Also, most of their names sound Indian. The only Nagarean name that we know of is Eresh, which is from Ereshkigal, a Babylonian/Sumerian goddess. I haven't found Nagarea in any of my Babylonian dictionaries, but at least the one name points to Babylon.

Now, Persia eventually conquered the Babylonian empire. And I think that Persia has a history with India, but I'm not sure. The interesting thing is that Babylon and India don't have a history of conflicting with each other, since Persia was in between the two. Have you guys noticed that Nagarea and Armes don't seem to have a history of clashing with each other? If that is a correct assumption, then it seems that the SV creators did a good job of relating these three ancient empires to the Southern continent. However, I admit that it would be nice if they could be a little bit more obvious about these supposed parallels. Names like Godwin, Barrows, Raulbel, Rovere and Wilde kinda mess up the Falena-Persia parallel. Oh yeah, and almost all of the Nether Gate names (Oboro, Sagiri, Shigure, Michafute, Mismar, Takefute, Hinoyagi) are Japanese, which really messes it up.
The fighting 108

Post by The fighting 108 »

The Godwins and the European-esque elements of SV were probably to make it more appealing to the western audiences that might find a Mesopotamian themed fantasy rpg a bit difficult to get in to.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

The fighting 108 wrote:The Godwins and the European-esque elements of SV were probably to make it more appealing to the western audiences that might find a Mesopotamian themed fantasy rpg a bit difficult to get in to.
That's probably true, but personally I'd rather see "exotic" stuff like that in my RPGs. I can see American/European people everywhere else.
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

I think they should put in some Titans. You know, like the Greeks.
Red rune wrote:
Gen. Dirge wrote:Good idea, they should make them a boss for an area...say...an evil rainforest?

But I really wanna see Garudas make an appearance as a new race though....
That wouldnt be a bad idea...and their enemies would be the *drumroll* naga! (dragons or people with serpent tails!)

Though impossible, still a good idea :)
Oh gross, I just Googled it.
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.
HarHar_0016

Post by HarHar_0016 »

how about a whole race of SNEEZING VIKI(S)... there is an adult one and yet there(s1, s2, s4, s5) is a young one(s3)... hehehe :lol: ...

or... some enemies that will take part of the war... such as... skeletons' just add hair and some decent clothing....

ALL I WANT TO SEE IS MONSTERS... FIGHTING FOR PEACE!!!!

e.g harpies, merecats, TALKING KANGACORNS, etc...
Roupe

Post by Roupe »

Treants (treehumanoids, not ants ^^), of the monster races.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Personally, I wouldn't be too keen for any new races. One of my favourite things about the Suikoden series is the continuity between the games. The world is that much richer because the games support eachother, each game providing a little more depth than the last. At the moment I'm way more interested in the places that have been mentioned, but never really seen (Kanakan, Armes, Zelant and the other pockets of land that a few stars come from). I think focusing on really fleshing out those places and making them more than just "the place so-and-so was born" would be really cool, as well as continuing on in the countries we all know and love. Elves, dwarves and kobolds are all reasonably settled in the Suikoden world (multiple appearances throughout the series/settlements throughout the world), so continuing to work in their culture and history would be cool. BUT, some of the races seem to be brought in because, well, the writers wanted more races. We weren't offered much history or real significance behind them (except maybe the beavers/wingers), they just seemed to be... there. Adding more where there haven't been before would take away from the series' credibility in my opinion. I think they should focus on what is already in there and make it believable and interesting.

Well, all that and talking animals make me cringe. It's a war council, not a damned petting zoo.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
MermaidKasumi

Post by MermaidKasumi »

I agree that they should work with the races they have already and really flesh them out better.