Suikoden MMORPG

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Jamuswin
Location: The random, chaotic land that is my own frigging mind!

Suikoden MMORPG

Post by Jamuswin »

Does anyone think that suikoden could be an online RPG? I think it would be cool. All we would need is an ongoing plot. Just throwing Ideas around. Well anyway, what're your thoughts?
I'd like to say something witty. And I usually do. But I don't have anything this time. Don't like it? Well to friggin bad.
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

i like mmorpgs but that just wouldn't work. most are devoid of any story worth paying attention to, and suikoden has always been about the story for me.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

agreed, suikoden as a mmorpg would be nice but people would get bored of it in a couple of month, because in a mmorpg it'll would be impossible to put the story, the best part of the game :?
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[=Gandalf=]
happyfatball

Post by happyfatball »

i personally think it would be kind of fun, the suikoden world facinates me and i think i could probabbly find it pretty fun to just travel around that world
aydas_arrow

Post by aydas_arrow »

a mmrpg could work quite well, lots of runes, you and friends could devise unite attacks. not sure bout story though, prehaps it could be one were you make your own path, therfore own story, man, i use alot of commas
break that tree and i'll break your legs!

No one harms the forest and gets away with it!!
Artificity

Post by Artificity »

It would be interesting because MMORPG's aren't bound to the rules of plot like traditional RPG's. Heck, it doesn't even have to be placed within any current plot arc, location or even be canonical; which is the charm and downfall of any MMORPG. They could create an area specifically just for the MMORPG, mentioned only in passing in other Suikoden's.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to speculate a bit... Think about it. Wars between various tribes from the Nameless Lands which allows you to diversify your race, play style and character build. Before releasing the next version/patch/update to the game, they can force the two largest or most powerful tribes to stage one grand battle that will be evident in the next version. Each version will have their own SoD's chosen by the tribe leader for a legacy to appear in each version as well. If you even choose to, it would be great to "retire" your character in a previous version to make him/her an NPC in the next one.

Of course it'll never happen but hey, this is the speculation forum right?
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

The tribes are a good idea, a example of this maybe: Creating a characater, choose your name, your tribe, your gender, haircolor and hairstyle. If i choose to be a karayan, i start in the karayan village, where i can buy the armors, weapons and other stuff, specifics for karayan, there are some npcs where i can do some quests, and plains, caves and sort to kill monsters, you can be either a fighter, a mage, archer, cleric or a rogue, if knew something about creating mmorpg i would try doing so :oops:
[=Gandalf=]
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Gandalf wrote:The tribes are a good idea, a example of this maybe: Creating a characater, choose your name, your tribe, your gender, haircolor and hairstyle. If i choose to be a karayan, i start in the karayan village, where i can buy the armors, weapons and other stuff, specifics for karayan, there are some npcs where i can do some quests, and plains, caves and sort to kill monsters, you can be either a fighter, a mage, archer, cleric or a rogue, if knew something about creating mmorpg i would try doing so :oops:
Thought about making a type of D&D version of Suikoden.But that meant I had to use the class names from the game. So just for your information I'm going to post what I deducted.

Fighter=Knight/warrior
Mage= mage :)
Archer= Protector(seriously these are called Protectors in the Suikoden world)
Cleric= Shaman/Bishop((or priest, I dunno) Depending on either being Harmonian/Anyting similar or from Grasslands.
Rogue= Tricker,Trickster

Makes sense dosun't it?
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

The Jobs maybe these:

-Fighters which can branch out into mercenaries specializing in swords, axes, and other weaponry, and martail artists specializing in bare hand combat or using weapons other than the mercs' weaponry;
-Mages which can branch out into support mages(bishops, clerics, etc.)and offensive mages;
-Archers which can branch out into hunters(like Kinnison) and forest guardians(like Ayda);
-Rogues which can branch out into assassins if you chose a country on land(e.g. Rokkaku), pirates if you chose one of the countris in the Island Nations as your country, and tricksters specializing in trick gadgets
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

yes you got it what i was thinking, but knight is not a possible class for those who live in tribes, like karayan, lizards and sort, and archers is a class that some places couldn't have, imagine a lizard archer, kind of strange ya? so making a mmorpg like this take a lot of thinking and a lot of people that have some knowledge about suikoden's universe
[=Gandalf=]
Artificity

Post by Artificity »

Then if they can't use it, then that should also be another factor of the game. Each tribe should have its own set of classes that it can take because of racial diffrences and preference.

My only problem is how to integrate unite attacks into the game and how characters will fit into their specific role as a star. (All just esthetic frivolities. MMORPG's were never really focused on things like that.)

Gah. I don't want to talk about it. My imagination just gets the better of me and I end up wishing for something that'll probably never happen.
Lampdragon bandits fo' lyf, biznatch! <3
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

i don't think so, someday somebody will make a suikoden mmorpg, and soon, do you know that inc. Level up! ? they make mmorpg of about everything that can make a good rpg and give them a good profit, i'll post on their forum about suikoden, maybe they gonna accept it and make a morpg about suikoden, wait and see
[=Gandalf=]
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Gandalf wrote:yes you got it what i was thinking, but knight is not a possible class for those who live in tribes, like karayan, lizards and sort, and archers is a class that some places couldn't have, imagine a lizard archer, kind of strange yes? so making a mmorpg like this take a lot of thinking and a lot of people that have some knowledge about suikoden's universe

How about letting you choose your character's race and country? Then you can choose a job and customize your build depending on your clan and country.
A lizard archer can be strange, yes, but who knows? Maybe their build can accomodate themselves as archers.
Humans are proven to be very versatile. The whole suikoverse has lots of them anyway. If for example, you chose to be a Harmonian, you might want to be a Harmonian Priest. Also, you may want to take the test to become a member of the Howling Voice Guild and become a skillful gunner. Or if you want to be a pirate or a Gaien Knight, then choose the Island Nations as your country.
Yes, you're right. A Suikoden MMORPG needs a lot of thinking and a lot of people who are very knowledgeable about the Suikoverse.
How about the unites? An example might be like this: the participants must be in a party of a maximum of six. Then the party leader must register some party members as the participants. For example, if he/she wants a 3-people unite attack, then he/she must register only 2 members of his party. If the prospect members of the unite attack agree, then the unite attack can be customized, but the long-rangers can only stay behind but doing something to add the damage it will inflict, while S and M-rangers do the attack. However, the unites can be performed by a pair of S and M-rangers or at least one L-range and at least two S/M-range.
That is what I want to see if ever a Suikoden MMORPG will exist, but if it doesn't, it's also fine. Maybe LevelUp can make a game like that, like Gandalf said, but I have no idea about how famous Suikoden is here in the Philippines.
Last edited by ninjaluc79 on Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

very nice thinking ninja luc! :D

it seems to me that World Of Warcraft would be the perfect engine for this kind of game

as for unites...they would have to get rid of them

and they deffinetley couldnt do the 108 sod,it would just have to be a massive multiplayer online game based in the suikoden universe
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

The SOD's? Hmm... let's see...

There are only 27 True Runes... and there maybe TRs which have more than one aspect, like the rune of Beginning... but we exclude Circle Rune, Gate Rune, Beast Rune, and other runes which can't be inherited by Suikoden protagonists. We are left at less than 24 TRs, and RB has two aspects, making it less than 25.

Say there are 25 inheritors to each TR, then if each inheritor has 108 followers including themselves, that makes 2,700 players. And I'm pretty sure that players will reach 3,000 (RoK has more than 20,000!), so SOD's will not really work like son michael said, but unites do work here.

Or maybe like this, the story maybe about a war between all the nations in the Suikoverse, and the protagonists of GS games may be GM-controlled who go out searching for followers only within his/her own continent through an event game. Instead of performing tests for an SOD to join the protagonists' group, the 'TR inheritors' themselves give a test open for all players. When they pass the test, they will become SODs, the sorry flunkers can serve their own country by serving at the inheritors' castles, but they will only be known as the citizens of their own country.
However, the flunkers can go back to the process again, as long as the inheritors haven't recruited their 107 players yet.

Whaddaya think?