PSP 2D version remakes

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
shinro-kun

PSP 2D version remakes

Post by shinro-kun »

Do you like to have PSP remakes of suikoden sequels like 3, 4 and even future sequels in 2D? (suikoden 2 style) just to have the old suikoden feeling.. :D
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

I honestly don't think there'd be any point.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

going back to 2d would kill suikoden, times change and so the games must change as well
Fu Su Lu

Post by Fu Su Lu »

Yes, I suppose It would kill suikoden,... :(
But the answer to shinro-kun question is yes. I -personally- would like, I would buy a PSP and I would learn japanese if needed :x but after this little nostalgia hangover :lol: I must confess I dont think konami has even thought about it.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

What they need to do is perfect their 3D implementation in order to fully recapture the essence of the earlier 2D titles (and more). Only after that they should remake all these using the new practice.

As for 2D remakes, I would hate to see some of the 3D locations lose their character due to the transition. Or, better, imagine having the first-person view from IV in a 2D game, where instead of looking at 3D models from a close angle, you get to see highly pixelated graphics. Oh, the horror.
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

son_michael wrote:going back to 2d would kill suikoden, times change and so the games must change as well

I beg to differ.

It was the introduction of 3d graphics that killed suikoden.

People need to realize games are not just things with pretty graphics. Games are story, and plot, and feeling, and IMHO the old 2d games like Final Fantasy 6 and Suikoden 1 and 2 were able to capture far better than the shitacularness that was S3 and IV
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

If suikoden were to go back to 2d graphics, no one would buy it, except for die hard fans and would that help suikoden? nope it sure as hell wouldn't.People want new and better things,and guess what,if suikoden cant appeal to regular gamers, konami will dump it like a hot potato

just because suikoden 4 was a little bit of a letdown,dosent mean that all future 3d suikoden games are doomed

In fact I would say suikoden 3 is truly amazing and it makes a PERFECT transition into the 3d world

and I loved 4 despite its flaws and many people besides me love 3 and 4 so obviously 3d suikoden games aren as doomed as you think

besides,suikoden 5 is gonna blow you away,it will be like a 3d suikoden 2

hopefully all you people who worship suikoden 2 will get with the times
Volrath

Post by Volrath »

i would much rather have them be 8bit with a really good plot/story/gameplay than have it look like real life if the newer ones are remotly like s4

quake3 > quake4
cs 1.6 > cs:source
gameplay > graphics
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

remaking 3D games into 2D would be pretty lame. If they made some kind of original 2D adventure on the psp or ds I think it might work, but it won't happen.

doesn't mean i don't want it to.
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

son_michael wrote:If suikoden were to go back to 2d graphics, no one would buy it, except for die hard fans and would that help suikoden? nope it sure as hell wouldn't.People want new and better things,and guess what,if suikoden cant appeal to regular gamers, konami will dump it like a hot potato

just because suikoden 4 was a little bit of a letdown,dosent mean that all future 3d suikoden games are doomed

In fact I would say suikoden 3 is truly amazing and it makes a PERFECT transition into the 3d world

and I loved 4 despite its flaws and many people besides me love 3 and 4 so obviously 3d suikoden games aren as doomed as you think

besides,suikoden 5 is gonna blow you away,it will be like a 3d suikoden 2

hopefully all you people who worship suikoden 2 will get with the times

Hopefully people will learn that 3d dosn't instantly mean a better game. :roll:
aydas_arrow

Post by aydas_arrow »

i think that suikoden will be great once konami masters the 3d graphics that still keep the eel o suikoden, look at the final fantasy games, grapically stinning with great plot and characters and still feel like a final fantasy game.

as for 4, lets put that down as a practice run
break that tree and i'll break your legs!

No one harms the forest and gets away with it!!
Wicked_Rune_Bearer

Post by Wicked_Rune_Bearer »

I believe everyone agrees that even though 1 and 2 were 2d that they were the best in the series. The jump from 2d to 3d opened up many different things to suikoden gamers that we weren't are better said some weren't quite ready for yet. life-like enviroments, emotional expressions by the charcters, and a unfamiliar feel to the series. I believe that if 3 and 4 never would have went to 3d that people wouldn't have been so dissapointed. I mean don't get me wrong I liked 3 and 4 and the change didn't bother me but for those who loved 1 and 2 and waited on 3 to be and exact sequiel to the first 2 didn't get what they expected. Everyone was expected the 60 familiar charcters coming into 3 like 4. Everyone was thinking it would be another tale of how one boy overcame his home empire who tried to expose him of fake crimes against him and so on. So In my opion I don't think it was the jump from 2d to 3d that got every dissapointed I think it was the change that no one was expecting. Also the buddy systems, the trinity gameplay, the point click go map, the skills system (which was a change from the orignal to but a change people argue about some like it some don't. It's so-so I guess you can say). And I'm sure that there's more that I forgot.
A rpg-suikoden site that lets you choose your character and basically play suikoden on your computer as if it was on your ps console
http://z14.invisionfree.com/Suikoden_Legends
Fuma

Post by Fuma »

I don't think a future Genso Suikoden will be made in 3D, and I think there is an extremely slim chance that Suikoden III and IV will be remade into 3D. A Gaiden may be released in 2D, maybe even on a portable console.
Formerly True Wind Bearer AKA Sir Spam-a-lot.
LGM

Post by LGM »

Why waste time on re-telling a story for new fans when you can develop a new one for everyone?

Besides, are RPG's really popular on portable systems? Platformers, Puzzles and Racers seem to be suited to these systems because they don't require any more than half an hour of staring at a diddy screen. Plus how many batteries would you go through playing for tweny hours on a PSP?
Doo-Doo-D-Doo, Doody-Doody-Doody-D-Do....
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

You can use an adapter. Besides, it's not like there aren't RPGs on the GBA; in fact that's all I play on mine.